TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my scar at two weeks.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<
    image.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 262
Glad you're feeling some better! And happy you have an empathetic OS. Your incision looks great - especially for just 2 weeks out! :yay: I hope you get some good rest today!
 
Hi Timetolive! How are you feeling today?

I hope the Xarelto was the problem and you are improving. I have been soooo tired the last couple days that I have mostly just been eating, doing PT, and sleeping. Have not been online, so today was the first I saw of this. Oh and since you asked, I am on aspirin for blood thinning, same for when I had my hip done.

I am also having swelling issues. Same thing - swollen and hard to the touch. My PT showed me an ice massage thing to do to help work out the swelling. She also showed me a gentle regular massage to help work out the swelling. The second one needs to be done by someone else. You might want to ask about that with your PT, if you are seeing one. It does seem to be helping a bit. I can actually see where my kneecap is now.

I hope you are doing better!:flwrysmile:
 
I think your incision looks great! And I can see that your bruises are fading!
 
Thanks Helen, Tim, and Midwest Girl. It is comforting to see the incision looking good after everything else that has happened. It is looking kinda dry. Does everyone else put lotion on their legs? I haven't wanted to get anything on the incision to cause infection.

@nerdgrrl , I start out patient PT tomorrow, so I will ask. Swelling to the point of your leg turning firm is really scary and it is amazing that your skin can stretch that much!

I am feeling better today. The backache and neckache, along with the headache are now gone. The leg is still firm to the touch. Hopefully tomorrow at my first PT, they will have some ideas for this and how to move the fluid out.
 
@Tometolive

It's OK to put moisturiser on your leg, as long as you don't put it anywhere near your incision. You're right to stay well away from that.
 
Your incision looks really good! Glad you are feeling some better today. Hope the answer was getting off the Xarelto!
 
I'm happy you are feeling better. Your incision looks very good and your leg looks like it's starting to lose all the bruises. I used lotion on my entire leg front and back but not on the incision. It did help. The skin on my TKR leg still had drier skin than my other leg. I used hibiclens before surgery but even if you didn't your whole entire leg is washed with sterile cleaners in the OR before the procedure starts.
 
I had it, too and I agree with Marian that the dry, flaky skin is probably from the harsh chemicals they used on you in OR. Someday soon it will be all healed up and safe to use lotion... but not yet.
 
Good to see you feeling a little more positive today @Timetolive i was worried about you. Hang in there I absolutely agree with you on effects of different drugs. Even one Benadryl puts me to sleep and makes me feel groggy and I can't take Aleve it does not agree with me at all. My son is the same very sensitive to various meds.
I pray the swelling starts to Go down quickly now and you start to feel good again.

Also due to circumstances I have not done in home pt I have done my exercises and when it hurt stopped and I haven't had a lot of swelling os was very happy with swelling on my knee and he said to carry on doing what I am doing because it's working. Moral of the story as Josephine has said less is more. Maybe hold off on pt for a bit and just relax ice and elevate. Sending lots of cyber hugs and good thoughts.
 
Glad you're feeling better and the scar is so nice and straight! Hoping the swelling goes down before you begin pt.
 
Good morning. The kindness on this site is overwhelming. Thank you. Ralph is still swollen. We start PT today. I am reallllly going to try and speak up for myself. I have a problem with that. Typing things and being brave is entirely different than speaking those words to someone else. Outpatient PT is a new path in my journey and I am looking forward to this next adventure. How many days a week did you all go? How long did you go?

@KarriB, yes! The scar is very straight. That is one of the first things I noticed when the bandage was taken off. I used to make wedding cakes before the knee. Level and straight are so important in cake decorating and stacking. I am a nut about things being level and straight! :ok: I also love to hang wallpaper (I know - weird) and getting that first piece straight is so important. I have a nice collection of levels and squares, so it would have reallllly bothered me if that scar was crooked.:rotfl:

I continue to have some problems with going to the bathroom (I could not think of a way to say this!! Poop Fairy visiting? BMs? Elimination?) I am taking DocQLace twice a day and eating a variety of vegetables and fruits. I don't seem to go unless I take Miralax. I am still on 30 mg of morphine 2x a day, Prednisone, Keflex, and aspirin. Any suggestions?

Here's to a day filled with managed pain, less swelling, soft skin, and rest before the big day tomorrow!:chuckmarch:
 
Haha, my scars are kind of crooked and not even in the same way. It kind of bugs me ( I'm a "picture straightener"), but nothing I can do.

First knee I did outpatient PT 2x/week for 8 weeks. This time I didn't even start until 6 weeks post op, and I'll go 2x/week until I feel ready to stop (probably thru the end of the year). Some people seem to continue PT indefinitely, and a few others hire additional private coaches for this and that reason. I don't have that kind of money!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good to see you in good spirits again just take it easy with pt. my knee is feeling good this morning after the staple removal. :):flwrysmile::happydance:Have a great day.
 
@Clipless , you do that too??? Hahaha! There a water tower on my way to the big city-one of those that is a solid column of block with the tank on top also. It sits in a field. I swear that tank is not straight! I have threatened to take a plumb bob and check it some day! :spin:

@macduf387 , thank you. I try to be thankful and choose joy in my life. Although, Ralph has really been trying to test me. Some days I fail miserably. :nah:
 
@Timetolive i go to PT 3x/wk. we probably spend 30 min with exercises, 10 min on the bike and then 20 min with electrical stimulation +icing & elevating. As time goes on it will be longer sessions because we add other exercises and more time on the bike. I think my first session was the shortest. Basically an evaluation to check where I was at with flexion & extension. And then basic exercise - heal slides, quad contractions, heal slides etc.
Be bold. Tell them up front that you don't want to be pushed to pain (I think some discomfort is ok - not pain). Tell them when it's too much. Remember they are working for you. If it's s clinic with several PTs if you don't like the one you started with you can ask for another. I hope it goes well for you and that you will enjoy your sessions. I look forward to my sessions. Let us know how it went!
 
We start PT today. I am reallllly going to try and speak up for myself. I have a problem with that.
The others are right. Speak up for yourself. Remember that the PT is there to please you. You don't have to please him/her. Don't allow them to hurt you or to push you to do too much.
Massage could help with the swelling.

Did I read somewhere that your surgeon does not like the use of ice? It really is a great help in reducing both swelling and pain. As long as you make sure that there is some cloth between your knee and the ice, icing does no harm.
I continue to have some problems with going to the bathroom
The meds you're taking do cause constipation. Keep taking whatever you need to, to make sure the poop fairy visits regularly. I had to take something all the time I was on narcotics.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom