TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you done with Xarelto? If not, since you believe you are having a reaction, I would call the office immediately and ask permission to "hold it" until you see the OS, then tell them you need to be seen urgently. I was fine with Xarelto after my first TKR, but had a scary bleeding problem due to Eliquis after my 2nd TKR. Like you, I am highly sensitive to many drugs. Luckily the newer blood thinners don't stay in your system very long.

I don't understand why you were on prednisone after surgery, but I hope you tapered down before stopping.

Best wishes at your appointment today.
P.s. Don't try to begin outpatient PT until your pain and inflammation has settled down, as you would be too stressed and uncomfortable. I didn't have any type of formal PT until 6 weeks post-op!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Dear timeline, I too had little appetite for weeks after my surgery. The pain med was very constipation get. I took mirolax and drank a small glass of prune juice. The only way I could get it Dow was add a few ice cubes and let hem melt a bit. This combination did work. Hope you are doing better. We all know what a difficult journey it is. Don't you find this site incredibly helpful?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh man I am so sorry to read your post this morning I actually feel guilty that my recovery is moving along nicely. I agree with @referee54 call os asap. This is not right and it sounds like you need off the Xarelto asap as well. The icing is really important to help relieve pain I can say from experience I forgot to turn my ice machine on early hours of this morning after a pee break And woke up a few hours later with my knee very uncomfortable and a little hits. Switched the machine on and oh boy what relief .
hang in there I am praying for a good day and some immediate action from your so to get you feeling comfortable again. Sending lots of hugs and good thoughts your way.
:bignono::hairpulling::flwrysmile::yes!:
 
Thanks everyone. PT came this morning and said if I was not going to doctor, she would be sending me. Doctor ordered a doppler for a clot. No clot - thank goodness. I know that was in the back of everyone's mind. The pain from the doppler was incredible. It made me sick, it was so painful. Soo...the long ride home was made more unpleasant by my poor husband driving while I threw up. I am off the Xarelto and now on a 325 mg. aspirin twice a day. Is that what others do? The PA said I looked better as far as my bruising. Xray looked great. Hopefully, in a day or so, the swelling will reduce and I can get on with my healing. Again, thank you all for your concern and support. I really am not feeling well.
 
So sorry to read this and hope you're feeling better soon. Very happy there's no clot!
 
Hope you feel much better soon maybe after a good nights rest you will feel better. Sending prayers and lots of hugs.
 
I'm very glad you had no clot!! I had an ultrasound a few weeks ago too and I know what you mean when you say it's painful. I took aspirin twice a day too. Make sure you have the coated ones (brand name is ecotrin) and take it after you have some food in your stomach. I hope you're feeling better soon and can get some sleep tonight.
 
Yes a blood clot was what I was thinking so was checking on here all afternoon. So happy to hear it wasn't a clot.
What a miserable car trip home though. I am so sorry.
Mayo clinic no longer uses any blood thinners other than 2 aspirin a day because their studies showed that the blood thinners caused more problems than good and you can certainly testify to that. :bawl:I am glad you are off the stuff and hopefully you will show improvement and feel much, much better :flwrysmile:
Prayers for you!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Timetolive - what a journey you've had so far! Just found your thread and read your story. Great news there is no clot. Did the OS confirm the reaction to the Xarelto? Certainly seems likely, given your sensitivity to medications. Swelling for all of us is such a huge source of pain, with all those fluids just caught in that narrow spot. As things start to loosen a bit, you might try some very gentle massaging, first above the knee and moving upwards to encourage your lymph system to start moving again. Then even gently around the sides and back of the knee - I used to even hold my scar "together" to be sure I didn't disrupt it at all. And then start working from the ankles and up - or rather have someone do it for you. I had a friend who was a trained massage therapist - in both lymphatic drainage and shiatsu - work on me when I felt I was going to crawl out of my skin the 2nd week after my surgeries. By the time I had my 3 week follow-ups, my OS was surprised I had so little swelling. He now recommends massage to his patients - obviously only done by someone who knows what they are doing!

Wishing you well, my friend!
 
Good morning. I am so blessed to have such wonderful support here. I am hopeful I can start seeing some improvement today. My knee is not as hard today, although still very swollen. The PA did not acknowledge the Xarelto conversation when I told her, the OS said these drugs all had good and bad things about them and we needed to find one that worked for me. I started to cry, explaining that I was really trying, but I knew something was not right, and the OS gave me a hug and reassured me we would figure it out. I do hope going off the Xarelto is going to make a difference. I do not have the headache and neck pain today - thank goodness. If the hardness in my leg continues to go down, I feel confident I was correct in my sensitivity to the Xarelto. We should all pay attention to the side effects of these drugs we are taking.

As far as the questions about me being on prednisone: I was on it for its anti-inflammatory properties. We will be starting another round to try to get over this hump. I am unable to take NSAIDs - what many others take for inflammation due to my heart.

Thank you all for helping me through this. It is comforting to have a place where people understand the pain - both physical and emotional.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom