Guest viewing is limited

TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
A fine Fall morning to all. I have joined the ranks of the weary. NO sleep last night. Where the morphine/Benadryl combination was making me sleep, now seems to be making me nervous and wide awake??? Despite the impending liver panel mystery, I finally took one extra strenght Tylenol to try and help with the pain and get some rest. I slept for about 30 minutes then. My leg is getting more swollen on the front. It seems so swollen it is firm to the touch. I have been icing (against the PA) and elevating, not using the CPM except for an hour yesterday, and just doing gentle PT exercises to try and loosen the knee. When I say "loosen the knee" I mean I have to bend it some to move some fluid around (my thought??) so I can walk. Sometimes I wish I could take a diuretic and lose the fluid! :beg:

Well, enough of that. We all have our trials right? The good Lord knows mine are not as burdensome as others - and for that I am thankful. I wish each of you a day of rest, comfortable pain control, cheerful family and friends, and a GOOD NAP!
 
It is a nice day in PA also but a little bit cold early this morning. The sleeping issue just seems to hit when you don't expect it. I had very disjointed sleep last night too. It just sounds like you really need to keep icing your knee. I used to pack my knee in ice when I was getting ready for bed. There were some nights that I got at least five hours sleep and sometimes more. The swelling just seems to slowLy go away. Hang in their. That plus elevating your leg is the only way to get rid of the 'fluid' in your knee.
 
Good Sunday to all. Last night was a small victory-I only got up to use the bathroom twice and not because of pain. It was good to get some rest. I finally finished my prednisone. Do you think that will make a difference in the swelling? I definitely have lost some ROM due to the swelling.

Tomorrow is my two week checkup with the doctor. What questions should I ask? Is there anything that I should be looking for at this time? Does the doctor dictate the protocol for PT or does the PT just basically do what they want?

Next week marks a new path in my journey as I venture away from the comfort and security of home and the in home PT visits. Ralph and I are a little scared.
 
PT and OS usually work together to decide on what is best for you. It seemed to me that the therapist had a certain protocol on how to progress the therapy. I'm glad you got some sleep. Take a price of paper and write down any qustions you might have. You can start with your therapy question to see exactly what your doctor says. Getting out to go to therapy probably will make you very tired so make sure when you come home you have time to just rest a lot. I was wiped out for hours after I got home. Try not to stop anywhere after your therapy session or you will definitely be in the ODIC!! When I ventured anywhere I brought ice with me for the trip home. Use a cane or walker when you go so you feel a little less scared. I used a walker for the first three to four weeks when I went outside my home.
 
My two week checkup is tomorrow also! As I recall from my last tka we discussed the surgery, the X-rays I had that day, he looked at my incision, and he had me show him how far I could flex and extend my leg, never once touching it to see how far he could do it. He just said - yep that's where I want you at this stage (in regards to flexing etc). My questions were when can I drive, how much longer with the walker, when could I start water PT. and I think he asked me if I needed any pain meds refill. This time my questions are different.

I never had in-house PT, always outpatient. I had to take a Rx with me and all it said was PT 3x/week for 6-8 wks. Of course I didn't have 8 weeks of 3x/week. Depending on my progress it was tapered down. I drove to my PT last Friday (less than 10 min) and it just gives you a sense of freedom. At this point I won't drive anywhere except to pt or the dr but at least I know I can.

Try not to get fixated and worried about your flexion. You're only 2 weeks out. It really does come along with time. And I know you've read that many times on here. And more importantly don't compare your recovery and numbers with anyone else's. This is your journey which is unique to you. I can't even compare this left TKA to my right that was done last year. It has been so different. So if two knees from the same person are different you definitely know they are different from person to person. The best thing I found for swelling was elevating and icing - a lot!!! If I'm sitting, I'm icing. I think I ice more than I don't. And it also helps with the pain. Good luck with your appointment and let us know how it went. Enjoy your Sunday!
 
Gosh, I was happy to get out of the house, see other faces, talk to other people and yes, do the PT! Of course, I've been going to the same PT for 10 yrs and know his wife, children, mother, etc! Lol! The joys of living in a small town! You'll do fine! Tell Ralph that Buddy says so! :yes::happydance:
 
I may be weird, but I enjoy and look forward to going to PT. Living by myself it's just a chance to see others. I too have been going to the same PT for 10 or more years so enjoy talking with her. And honestly, I and my knee just feel better after a PT session.
 
I started going out to PT after 2 weeks by myself. While it was great getting out they were doing more harm but good in the early part of my recovery.
 
Thanks everyone. I have my list made! My leg is just getting more and more swollen it seems. I have been trying to elevate it and cannot get into a comfortable postion with it elevated on the bed. I am sitting in my recliner now with ice and the leg is semi straight. I am trying to do my ankle pumps and get up and walk around every hour. Could being off the prednisone just one day throw me into this spin? It is so swollen it is hard. :dead:
 
I would think that since prednisone can act like an anti inflammatory it may have limited the amount of swelling you were having. At 2 weeks out my knee was still greatly swollen and I lived with ice on it almost constantly. I still sleep in my recliner so I can keep my knee elevated. I only got up when nature called or if I had a muscle cramp to try to loosen it out. Your doing what you can at this point. Ankle pumps are good to do since you can do them even when your knee is elevated with ice on it. Add this problem/question to your list. Don't forget to bring your ice with you for the trip.
 
I also loved PT! After two months of hospitals/rehab and being stuck in the house I enjoyed being at pt with others. When it was over I asked for two weeks of twice a day. Also it felt wonderful to be active after sitting while fighting the infection. Just be sure you set the pace and no one pushes or pulls on your knee.
 
Hi @Timetolive finally started getting caught up on everyone's trials again and see you are still having swelling ect issues so sorry to hear that. I can't remember if you said you have one of those ice machines or not. If you don't try and find one on eBay I hot a do joy for $50 delivered to my door in like new condition. It has been marvelous. I have done what somebody else mentioned putting bottles of water in the freezer, I have 3 sets of bottles which my husband who I now call my waterman changes every few hours. It has been my best friend :egypdance:
Still have some swelling but can do my exercises ect. Anyway thanks foe reading my rambling and if it helps then that's great. Hope you get a good nights sleep and that your follow up appointment goes well.:dogwalk:
 
Hang in there @Timetolive
Ice/elevation was and has been my best friend.... looong before I even considered surgery.
This is the first surgical procedure I have ever had.

The pain, nasueau, discomfort etc can be, imho, secondary to making and I mean making myself Sit Down! I think our nature is to go go go!! Movement seems to be helping me but if I had to put a ratio on it I would say I'm moving 10% of the time, and in the recliner with my leg on a foam leg elevator (not a wedge) above my heart and about an hour or so iced then 2 hours or so of no ice the other 90% of the time. Again, no set schedule. I do like my recliner too! I have not been in bed since the 18th the day before my surgery on the 19th.

I have taken Rest, Elevate, Ice, and Meds on time to be my new creed! I know at 4 days I am just barely into it but...ice is my friend, my best friend!!!!:ice:
 
There is no way for me to describe the pain and swelling I am having. From Day One, I knew and have always known that I am very sensitive to medications. (hence, my struggle with pain medication) My knee is so swollen now, it has become firm to the touch. I cannot elevate it due to pain. I now have pain in my back and neck, along with my hip. After exhaustive searches on the internet reading countless pharmacy studies and articles, I am now convinced I am having a reaction to the Xarelto. When the excessive bruising began, I should have trusted my instincts and done something then. Fluid retention, pain in the legs, back, and neck, excessive bleeding, headache, ITCHING (which I was attributing to the morphine) and TROUBLE SWALLOWING (again blaming the morphine) are ALL side effects of Xarelto. My foot is now hurting also. This has been a nightmare. I have an appointment with my OS for my 2 week checkup today at 3:00. I am in so much pain I can hardly put any weight on my leg. Thank you all for the support. I just don't think this is the way it should be and if this continues, I am fearful I shall never use the knee- melodramatic? Perhaps. How I feel - absolutely - the pain is that bad. I type through my tears as they are the only thing that comforts me.
 
Bless your heart. I'm sure I would have a completely different story without the Ocycodon/Acetaminophen combo we worked out at the hospital.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and no! It's not melodramatic but something your OS should see asked be able to help with.
 
So sorry to hear that things are getting worse. It's fortunate that you have an appointment today, because you definitely need to be seen. I hope you OS can figure out the source of the problem and set things straight immediately. Best of luck and please let us all know how your appointment goes.
 
I am so very sorry to read of this. I believe that you need to see your OS sooner than wait until this afternoon. Please get to the bottom of this!

Pleas call the OS's office ASAP and tell them what is going on---be polite, but very firm---and let them know you need to be seen ASAP.

Please keep us updated (if you are able) as to what is going on.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom