TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Clipless - HA! I misspelled it! So much for my old fashioned spell checker of a brain! Accelerated - more intensity?? I really don't want to be touched and pushed. I am the type that will give you 110% on my own - but if you push me, my muscles will tighten and that makes things worse. I am REALLY going to try and speak up for myself. Now, another reason I don't want them touching me......I am SOOOOO self-conscious about my big legs and it embarrasses me terribly to be "on display" during PT. I know some will say this is silly and get over it, but it is how I feel and is a big stumbling block. My cousin's son works at the PT place as a tech - even more embarrassing. I realize they have seen it all, but they haven't seen mine, :scaredycat:. Just another thing to get through - right?
 
@Clipless, it is the PT group associated with the OS's practice. They have a very large practice and PT place in the city 40 minutes from me. My OS comes to my town on Wednesday afternoons for office calls here and they have a PT place with 2 PTs and 2 techs (??) that work fulltime in a gym here. It is an Anytime Fitness - so their area is in a corner with the tables and then you use the rest of the machines in the gym. It was never crowded in the gym when I did rehab there after my last scope. I liked the team there and the location is convenient for DH to drop me off and then do errands or return home. You are right!!!! I would LOVE the private rooms.:roseshwr::roseshwr:
 
I have out-patient PT starting next Wednesday. The RX says "excelerated rehab"?????? :flabber::flabber: Wonder what that is?
"Accelerated rehab" means that your surgeon believes that lots of exercise will make your knee heal better and function more quickly. That probably means that your PT will try to encourage you into doing too much, too soon.

Don't fall for it! Your knee needs time to heal for the first month at least, and then only gentle exercise. No matter how much or how little exercise you do, it will take a full year for your knee to heal completely.
Doing too much exercise in the early days will irritate and inflame your knee, which can slow down your progress.

What you will need to do is this: TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”

Whatever you do, don't listen to "No pain, no gain", or "push through the pain". Both of those ideas are inappropriate for recovery from a knee replacement. Myth busting: no pain, no gain

Remember this, from the mantras:
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again


And, just in case your PT trots out that hoary old myth about the window of opportunity, read this article:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
 
My legs are fairly large also. I wore loose sweatpants that could be rolled up over my knee if it was needed. Just do what you can do and don't let someone push you too hard.
 
Mama always said I had "tree stump" legs( hers were toothpicks! Lol! ) I went to Wal Mart ( :gaah: ) and purchased Danskin pull on elastic waist black soft knit pants ( in the gym clothes section) Legs could be pushed or rolled up, when necessary and they were more modest than others. Now they're all I want to wear! :heehee:
 
My legs are BIG! My dad broke his hip yesterday so we've been at the hospital for two days straight. Today the OS said my dad has the biggest, heaviest bones he's ever worked on and had to leave the OR to get an implant to fit. So I that's my excuse from now on and I'm sticking with it.
But I did buy these marvelous "sleep" pants from Eddie Bauer. They're soft, stretchy and look like real pants. I wore them in the hospital, for therapy and even wore them today, knowing it would be a long day. I could easily pull the pants over my knee for the OS to examine or the PT to massage.
 
Lands End an on-line store has 'sports pants' that also come in corduroy that fit loosely and can be rolled up. They'll be perfect for any cold weather.
 
@KarriB , I am so sorry about your Dad. I wish there was something I could do for you. I pray that he recovers quickly and peacefully. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
 
Thanks for the great suggestions. I have some "stretchyknitIcan'tbelieveIworetheminpublic" capris and knee length shorts. Right now, I don't want ANYTHING touching my knee. When does this stop?? GiGi's tail barely touched it today and it felt like she had stabbed me! Every day brings something new!

I got great news today from part of my blood work. My calcium serum level was normal and the parathyroid tumor marker was negative!! Just have to watch the kidney stones and take a magnesium supplement. No news about the liver panel yet. Baby steps in information is o.k.
 
The tenderness will eventually go away... Several weeks, if I remember correctly. See, it all runs together after a while! :eyebrows:
Great news on the test results! Prayers for the rest!
 
Thanks, @Timetolive . He came through fine and has promised no more ladders. We're removing them from the house just to be sure. It's been a rough 24 hours, but prayers were answered and my dad is a healthy 84 year old who has gone through two TKRs. A fracture/THR is a little different, but we'll support him as much as he needs.
@Thesoutherncook don't you love those pants!
 
I got great news today from part of my blood work. My calcium serum level was normal and the parathyroid tumor marker was negative!! Just have to watch the kidney stones and take a magnesium supplement. No news about the liver panel yet. Baby steps in information is o.k.
That's wonderful news!!! :yes!::happydance::yay:
I hope your liver results are as reassuring.

By the way, here's a hug for you - ((((((((((Timetolive)))))))))) - just because!
 
Hey! Great news about your lab results.
My legs are huge too but it is what it is. I have accepted it for now but plan on trying to lose some of the jiggle.
I wear the el cheapo knit stretch Capri's from Walmart. They are great for PT, Dr exams and xray. Got to figure out something for the cooler weather.
Hope you have a restful night.
 
On the subject of sensitive knees: two weeks ago I couldn't tolerate my key chain dangling against my incision when driving and today it was no problem. You'll get there!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so glad your blood test results are improving. :yahoo: As far as the pain from the incision it just stopped hurting one day. It seems I went to bed and it hurt and I woke up with one on my dogs leaning against the knee and it didn't even bother me. The numbness also start disappearing then too.
 
Eventually everything seems to change for the better. Time is what our bodies need. Praying ALL your tests results are positive.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom