• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] THR tell me about your recovery

OP
OP
Eman85

Eman85

post-grad
Country
United States United States
I didn't have this done to be a spectator. Hip feels good so I added side leg raises to my PT with no problems. Added another block of wood to my practice step. Celebrated by washing and waxing my truck and a good soak in the hot tub last night.

OP
OP
Eman85

Eman85

post-grad
Country
A true test of the ROM and smoothness of my new hip, rode the lawnmower. I couldn't ride the lawnmower without the hip giving me great pain before due to the limited ROM I had in that hip. The new hip is smooth and doesn't have any binds. Before sitting on a tractor or lawnmower put too much pressure on the hips from spreading of the legs constantly, now I have enough ROM that there is no pain. I could never ride a horse because of this and I quit riding my motorcycles as it was painful after a ride.

Mojo333

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I noticed the ROM much improved riding my ATV and no hip pain also. (After a few months and on easy surfaces)
Lifting heavy things definitely aggravated things, and I have learned to try not to do alot of it as I don't want these stems loosening up!
I personally don't like the exercise bands either. My PT was delayed, by my choice, as I let things heal and though the PT seemed "too easy" without it...enough reps were just as good workout added strain and resistance bands added groin pain and some other issues directly related to my PT.
Strengthening and toning can be caught up, I think.
Letting that trauma heal and giving the prosthetic time to settle in was key for me. I walk plenty just at work so I had to remind myself the rest, ice, elevate routine was what was needed afterwards.
Just because we can, doesn't mean we should.
Hope your day is a Good Day.

OP
OP
Eman85

Eman85

post-grad
Country
By doing the PT exercises before the surgery it was very evident after the surgery how smooth and how much more ROM I had after the surgery. My hips had serious limitations how far they moved and how they hurt in certain positions. I haven't used any exercise bands yet,just keep doing the basics. As far as walking goes I notice a big difference in the around the house or shop walking and walking continuous distance on walking paths. I can make a lot of steps in the house and around the house, but they are small steps and never stretch out anything. It also shows high mileage on the fitbit but the strides are so short it's not correct. When I get out and walk a path I open up my stride and I can feel the difference.
ATV's were horrible for me to ride, they were hard for me to swing my leg over and the constant spread of my legs put pressure on the joints and every bump made it real bad. I've had the limited ROM since being a kid. I could never sit Indian style on the floor when I was a kid and never understood why until later in life my hips were that bad from the beginning.

Layla

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Aww, always pulls at my heart strings when I hear someone talk about feeling different in their childhood.
I'm thinking of little @Eman85 sitting on the floor wondering why he couldn't cross his little legs like every other kid. As a kid, I could sit criss cross apple sauce, or whatever dumb name were calling it these days. BUT in the few years leading up to THR, I sure couldn't! Just tried it about 7 months post op and YAY...I did it!
Not nice and tight like a kid, but I did it. Have you tried it since THR?
I promise I won't cry if you can't because as an adult I realize it's lack of importance :heehee:

Sounds like you're doing well. Keep it up! A great weekend to you.

OP
OP
Eman85

Eman85

post-grad
Country
Anyone on here have to take a Human Performance Evaluation test before returning to work? My job has a Medical Review Officer, basically a company Dr., and if you've had surgery or a lengthy leave of absence for medical reasons the Dr. determines if you need to take this test. Most all that have had any ortho surgery have had to take it. We refer to it as the "Superman" test as you have to perform multiple feats of strength. None of it directly applies to anything I've done at the job over the course of the last 15years but they contend it could. It's a great way to eliminate employees that are older. Anyone ever have to do this to return to work?
Layla, I doubt if I'm going to even try sitting crosslegged, surgeon didn't recommend it when I asked. My rt hip has limited range also just never hurt like the left which had a lot less ROM.

OP
OP
Eman85

Eman85

post-grad
Country
Well I guess no one else has to take this HPE test to return to work.
Here's what it consists of:
lift a 20lb box 4 inches above your total height 25 times
lift a 45lb box 4 inches above your height 8 times
lift 100lb box to shoulder height 1 time
lift 85lb 1 foot off of a table 1 time
lift 75lbs and carry 150ft without stopping or dropping
push a 135lb cart 20ft
climb a ladder up 4 steps and down 4 steps
My leave of absence is up in 3 weeks and they will probably want me to perform this to return to work!

BeBe

graduate
Country
Sounds a bit grueling @Eman85 !
Especially the 100 lbs, and the walking 150 carrying 75, that would seem to be the hip strainer.
What does your OS say about those requirements?

jaydub63

graduate
Country
What??? That sounds crazy! Do new employees have to perform those tests too? I've never heard of such a test especially coming off of a medical leave. Most able-bodied people probably can't do most of that.

OP
OP
Eman85

Eman85

post-grad
Country
Didn't have to do it to get hired, no new hires do it. Seems it's the new thing for corporate America. If you google it you'll see it's becoming more common.
Believe it or not I know one TKR and one THR employees that passed it. Granted they are 10-20 years younger than me. My OS really can't believe that it's required.

Jaycey

SUPER MODERATOR
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Eman85 I would strongly urge you to get a note from your doc regarding not taking that test. Typically new hips do not like heavy lifting. The list of activities sounds like trouble to me!

jaydub63

graduate
Country
@Eman85 I did google it this morning - most of the information I saw indicated it was a pre-hiring tool, to make sure employees could do essential physical requirements of a job, but also mentioned return to work assessments too. Seems like your company is using it for return to work but not hiring.

Do they make women do it too? I'm back to doing weights after my surgery but I'm pretty sure I couldn't do all that!

Mojo333

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
:nah:Heavy lifting not good for healing hips...I know this first hand.
It does seem like trouble to me also.
I have done close to all of that at Food Bank...with lack of help and convincing myself I would HAVE to do it.
It was immediately apparent to me it was terrible for my recovery.
Now, it just had to wait for me to find someone or not get done.

SaraK

post-grad
Country
You might consider talking to an attorney that specializes in the Americans with Disabilities Act. Requiring this only of those returning to work off medical leave but not new hires, especially if not tailored to the needs of your job, could be a violation of ADA.

OP
OP
Eman85

Eman85

post-grad
Country
OS has seen the job requirements and the parameters of the test, we'll see what he says on my next appt. I honestly don't know any women that have taken the test. I do know women that have been out for surgery but didn't have to take it. When we submit our return to duty paperwork there is a medical review office that makes the decision. We'll see how it goes. I'm a tough old guy but seriously don't see myself taking or passing it at this point, the carrying of weight is just dumb on this new hip. I've got plenty of other damage to my body from doing dumb stuff over the years.

hikejunkie

senior
Country
That test seems a bit much especially if that kind of lifting isn’t a requirement of your job. Hoping OS can do something to help the situation if at all possible.

OP
OP
Eman85

Eman85

post-grad
Country
It's crazy what corporatism has done to jobs in this country, this company wasn't anything like this when I started there. If the OS doesn't release me to be tortured they will terminate me after the 90 day FMLA is up. I tried my best to set this surgery up so it would have the least effect on me which was also a reason for me waiting until I turned 62. I'm looking at early retirement so I'm prepared no matter how it all goes.
I honestly don't know how many can have a surgery like this and retain their job if it's a physical. With healthcare being tied to employment and the idea of being terminated if you run over the FMLA there is no wonder why so many people delay taking care of their health. I have co-workers that need knee replacements and such but won't have it done because of the fear of losing their job and their health insurance.

Layla

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Eman85
All very sad. I'm sorry.
I hope it all works out for you.
Wishing you a peaceful day.

Mojo333

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
:fingersx: all will work out.
Common sense in government is laughable.
Hope hip is treating you well.:) :-) (:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Djlamb5
Recent bookmarks

Trending hash tags