I noticed the ROM much improved riding my ATV and no hip pain also. (After a few months and on easy surfaces)
Lifting heavy things definitely aggravated things, and I have learned to try not to do alot of it as I don't want these stems loosening up!
I personally don't like the exercise bands either. My PT was delayed, by my choice, as I let things heal and though the PT seemed "too easy" without it...enough reps were just as good workout added strain and resistance bands added groin pain and some other issues directly related to my PT.
Strengthening and toning can be caught up, I think.
Letting that trauma heal and giving the prosthetic time to settle in was key for me. I walk plenty just at work so I had to remind myself the rest, ice, elevate routine was what was needed afterwards.
Just because we can, doesn't mean we should.
Hope your day is a Good Day.