• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] THR tell me about your recovery

MammaT

supremo
Country
United States United States
I have found my lift chair to be a life saver during both hip replacements. It was where I slept the first couple of weeks. I am now sleeping in bed and during the day I am spending time sitting on couch (now that I can get up and out of it!)

Glad your recovery is going so well. I haven’t done any raised side steps but have increased walking and bike time. Things continue to loosen up.

Keep up the good work @Eman85.

Layla

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
You're funny! :heehee: @Eman85
You said it's not one of those that "ejects" you. My mom uses the word "catapult" which is even more comical. Can you imagine actually being ejected or catapulted with an injured hip.....flying out of the chair :rotfl: not funny really. Okay....I've composed myself, silly humor.

I hope you enjoy your recliner. I loved mine. Even slept in it for three weeks.
It sounds as though your recovery is going well. Keep up the good work.
Hope your spring and Summer is wonderful!

OP
OP
Eman85

Eman85

post-grad
Country
5 weeks today,still doing my PT and walking just under a mi. most days. To make walking a little more interesting we've traveled to some local parks and historic sites. Much better than just walking back and forth on my road. Been able to some simple yard work and clean up in my shop a little. My endurance is much better, don't get as tired from activity, can stay out and about all day with no problems. I am getting tired of being out of commission so to speak. I have always been very active and it's hard to sit here. I'm not bored as there is plenty to do and learn, but to sit and look at work that needs doing and not be able to do it is frustrating. I don't think I've ever sat this much in my life.

Jaycey

SUPER MODERATOR
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I don't think I've ever sat this much in my life.
I am certain most of us felt this during recovery. The good news is this is all very temporary. Build up your activity slowly - you will be back to your active self soon.

MammaT

supremo
Country
The sitting can get to us, but it gets better. I’ve been thinking that before surgery I used to hope to find time to just sit and do nothing, then I had surgery and got it. Need to be careful what I ask for.

Glad you are getting out and walking in different areas. And doing some cleanup is a positive sign. Hang in there-you’ll be zipping around before you know it @Eman85.

spunky268

Country
I am one month or four weeks. I don’t have much stamina. I get exhausted going upstairs. My main problem is lightheadedness. I’m thinking of going to an ENT

Layla

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Eman85
Recovery can get boring but it sounds like you're staying pretty active and doing well!
Traveling to different locations to walk is a great idea to fend off boredom.
Take it slow...it will come. I'll bet your Summer is great!

OP
OP
Eman85

Eman85

post-grad
Country
There is no doubt in my mind this surgery is a lot more invasive than it's advertised! One thing I did notice is it took 2 weeks for my color to come back. I noticed when I got home I was extremely pale and it was all of 2 weeks to get color back in my face and all of the rest of me.
I know it's getting better. I'm good as far as pain goes, a little soreness from walking mostly. Thanks for all of the positive thoughts.

Jackie222

graduate
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Good to read that your recovery is progressing well. The soreness is normal after walking etc at this stage in your recovery.

OP
OP
Eman85

Eman85

post-grad
Country
Question for those going to outside PT, what exercises are the PT having you do?

Clipper

Country
Exercises post surgery for me were mainly to build up all the muscles I hadn't been using much for several years due to OA pain. I had become very sedentary. The hips don't need much PT to heal, it's all the other support muscles that need strengthening. The outpatient PT place I went to had weight machines to strengthen leg and ankle muscles. Sessions were about 60 min and it was pretty exhausting twice a week. I went for 6 weeks and thought it was very helpful. I also walked every day (still do 1.5 - 2 miles every day). The pain in my rear eventually decreased and went away.

After a month, I started doing pushups ( 2sets of 30), sit-ups (20), straight leg raises (on my back, 50 each leg), horizontal scissor kicks (on my back, 2 sets of 50), and several exercises using rubber. These I still do 3 times a week. Also dumbbell exercises for the arms and shoulders. Deep knee bends (30-50 / most days) and toe raises. It took a while to reach these levels but I stopped increasing reps and now just try to maintain where I'm at.

My muscles were so out of shape post op, it was hard to balance standing up with my eyes closed. Balancing on one leg for more than a few seconds was impossible, This was all due to lack of leg and ankle muscle strength. I put off the surgery far too long and my muscles had probably regressed more than most. This is just one persons experience. I feel better today than I have for many years. I am 16 months post the last THR.

Good luck and be patient.

OP
OP
Eman85

Eman85

post-grad
Country
Clipper, When did you start the PT with weights, must have been later in your recovery. I really can't see using using stretch bands for a while yet. Despite the pre op pain I was very active and I believe that's helped with recovery.
One of the exercise I've been doing is raising each leg like marching in place and holding for 5 sec. It's been good for balance with your eyes closed. Balance is one of the things that get lost over time of inactivity. I've always tried to practice standing on one leg pre op as loss of balance leads to falling easier which won't be good! I don't bounce like I used to!

Clipper

Country
@Eman85 - I started the out patient PT with weight machines 3 or 4 weeks post op, but I was doing exercises at home prior. My muscles were probably more regressed than yours at surgery time and I needed more muscle building than most. I suspect muscle strength and stamina might be a bigger deal to males than females in general based on the posts I've read on this forum, although some females are running miles per day post op which I find amazing. Just be patient, keep a steady consistent pace, and build up your strength/stamina to a level that suits you. You can go as high as you are willing to work. I just want to stay where I am.

OP
OP
Eman85

Eman85

post-grad
Country
Well it's 6 weeks and I go see the OS this week. I'm pain free and the biggest set back has been a head cold last week. I've done my PT religiously and up to 18 exercises and stretches 3 x a day 20 reps of each, no weights. Weakest thing for me is walking steadily. It tires my leg out more than anything if I'm walking continuously over 1/2 mi. or so. I have easy ROM and the hardest thing has been remembering the restrictions. I'm going to ask the Doc about using exercise bands when I see him.

Clipper

Country
The weight and band stretch machines at our rehab center worked very well to strengthen and build leg/ankle strength and stamina.

Maybe walk 1/2 mile, rest, walk another 1/2 mile.

Being pain free is wonderful. Sounds great.

OP
OP
Eman85

Eman85

post-grad
Country
Stopping for a rest is usually how I try to do it, no problem walking it but you can definitely feel it. Stamina needs some work too, a few chores and it's break time! I just did some outside the rules PT climbing a step ladder. No problems doing it, just very aware that I really shouldn't be doing this.
The pain free deal is what this was all about, pain free so I could do more. My hip pain would get in the way of me doing what I want to do. Never really stopped me but cut the day short sometimes and interfered with sleep. So far so good as far as pain goes and my other hip is behaving too. It was never as bad as my left so I might be able to keep it for the rest of the run.

Layla

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Step ladders :yikes:
Please be careful. Don't want to see a do-over.
Hope your weekend is good and you stay safe! :heehee:
@Eman85

OP
OP
Eman85

Eman85

post-grad
Country
Saw the OP today, everything going as planned. I'll see him in 6wks for release for work. He doesn't want me lifting too much weight. No problem with the ladder, just don't fall off. He's not sure about getting back in the racecar but I told him I'd wait 6 more weeks (maybe).
Anyone given lifting or carrying restrictions when they go back to work? Sounds like he doesn't recommend much of it.

Layla

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Sounds like you had a good visit with your OS today.
Ladders and race cars?!! You're scaring me :scaredycat:

Wishing you the best and safety as you continue healing.
Hope your weekend is good!

@Eman85

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
BeckyBahn
Recent bookmarks

Trending hash tags