Exercises post surgery for me were mainly to build up all the muscles I hadn't been using much for several years due to OA pain. I had become very sedentary. The hips don't need much PT to heal, it's all the other support muscles that need strengthening. The outpatient PT place I went to had weight machines to strengthen leg and ankle muscles. Sessions were about 60 min and it was pretty exhausting twice a week. I went for 6 weeks and thought it was very helpful. I also walked every day (still do 1.5 - 2 miles every day). The pain in my rear eventually decreased and went away.
After a month, I started doing pushups ( 2sets of 30), sit-ups (20), straight leg raises (on my back, 50 each leg), horizontal scissor kicks (on my back, 2 sets of 50), and several exercises using rubber. These I still do 3 times a week. Also dumbbell exercises for the arms and shoulders. Deep knee bends (30-50 / most days) and toe raises. It took a while to reach these levels but I stopped increasing reps and now just try to maintain where I'm at.
My muscles were so out of shape post op, it was hard to balance standing up with my eyes closed. Balancing on one leg for more than a few seconds was impossible, This was all due to lack of leg and ankle muscle strength. I put off the surgery far too long and my muscles had probably regressed more than most. This is just one persons experience. I feel better today than I have for many years. I am 16 months post the last THR.
Good luck and be patient.