THR thr recovery

Hi all

4 weeks post op now, all going good on one crutch when outside walking the dog. And trying not to use crutch inside the house. There is still alot of weakness on operated leg and I have a very bad limp, but it is only 4 weeks post so I am hoping the limp will improve every day. I am doing all my exercises so muscles are getting stronger everyday. Also I am using a exercise bike for 10 mins everyday to strengthen up the hip supporting muscles, I have saddle up high so not to aggravate hip. Weather where I live in South Wales UK is bad meaning raining every day so thus affects getting out and about walking alot as pathways and pavements very slippery. Roll on the spring and summer. Hoping to be back in work in next 6 weeks.

Anyway I hope everybody is doing well.
 
@Giddsy1 just a tip - continue to use some type of walking aid until you no longer limp. Breaking the habit is tough. Muscle atrophy pre-op. Just be patient and your gait will improve.

You might want to try heel/toe walking as well. This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.

It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.
[Bonesmart.org] thr recovery
 
Happy One Month Anniversary! I recall that milestone well, it’s about the time you’re thinking - hey, I think this thing really worked and I’m going to get my life back!

You’re still early days into the healing process in the entire scheme of things and the progress you’ll enjoy over the next months will feel so satisfying. Keep up the good work and concentrate on the heel-toe and the limp will ease and disappear.
All the best as you move forward! :walking:
@Giddsy1
 
You are doing so well neighbour!

It looks like we might both get a bit of sunshine tomorrow, for a change. I hope you get the chance to get outside and enjoy it.
 
To right Klassy, hopefully a break from the rain for a few days for us on the west side of UK, when you say West Midlands that's probably kiddminster way?? Anyway let's make the most of the weather and have a lovely sunny rainfree few days. enjoy the sunshine Klassy and let's make the most of it.
I will definitely be out walking tomorrow.
 
Hi All.
.
5 weeks post op now, getting stronger every day. I went for a 1 and half mile walk yesterday with one crutch. Also doing a bit of exercise bike work with high saddle. I am not using crutches around the house and can get up and down stairs without any walking aids. The only thing is though I still have bad limp and can feel weakness in muscles around operated hip. I am doing heel toe and it is getting better though. Went to physio today and my physiotherapist said I am coming on good and try smaller steps and heel to toe, which I will concentrate on. Also I feel confident to drive now so I will ring my consultants secretary tomorrow and see if I can get the OK with this. Anyway enough about me and my little moans, I hope you are all fit and well out there and getting stronger everyday.
 
Very positive update @Giddsy1. I wouldn’t call any of your comments moans, not even little ones .

Thanks yes, I too am feeling stronger every day, getting out and about and grabbing the sunshine when I can.

I hope you get the ok to drive, it will be great to get your independence back.
 
:wave:5 weeks is still really early in the healing game.
Stay slow and steady and don't overdo with the exercise bike.
All Temporary...:thumb:
 
Anyway enough about me and my little moans,
Thanks for stopping by and Happy Five Week Anniversary!
We welcome updates and love hearing about the progress you’re making. We don’t consider your temporary struggles moaning. You're doing great at five weeks post op and with time will continue to hit milestones.

I found heel-toe walking a challenge because it was totally unfamiliar. I really had to concentrate and if I didn’t, I fell back into the sloppy old gait I had as my hip was deteriorating. You’ll get there. Hopefully you gain permission tomorrow to hit the road when you’re feeling up to it. It’s so great to regain that independence after losing it for a time. Drive safely!
 
Hi All.
.
5 weeks post op now, getting stronger every day. I went for a 1 and half mile walk yesterday with one crutch. Also doing a bit of exercise bike work with high saddle. I am not using crutches around the house and can get up and down stairs without any walking aids. The only thing is though I still have bad limp and can feel weakness in muscles around operated hip. I am doing heel toe and it is getting better though. Went to physio today and my physiotherapist said I am coming on good and try smaller steps and heel to toe, which I will concentrate on. Also I feel confident to drive now so I will ring my consultants secretary tomorrow and see if I can get the OK with this. Anyway enough about me and my little moans, I hope you are all fit and well out there and getting stronger everyday.
Hi @Giddsy1 — I’m about a week behind you — today is my 4-week anniversary. It seems to me that you’re doing great!! Anyway, when I went to my 3-week postop, my surgeon’s assistant told me not to be too anxious to walk without a cane or walker (which I use at night), because the muscles take a while to heal and I could end up limping. So I’m sticking to the cane for a while. Everyone is different, though, and I notice some on this forum ditch the walking aids quickly. I’m not sure if that’s a function of the kind of approach their surgeons used, which may have spared more muscles than mine. Best wishes to you for continuing excellent recovery!
 
Hi Bonesmart Buddies hope you are well.

6 weeks post op for me and all going OK.
I am back driving now, I rang hospital and they said OK after 6 weeks. (Bit of freedom out there.) doing regular walks everyday with my pet dog chase. 1 to 2 miles everyday. Still using one crutch on the long walks but I am doing 200metres at regular intervals without any crutch I put it behind my back. I am concentrating on heel to toe, and the advice given to me off my bonesmart buddies.

So all in all feeling quite good and less restrictions everyday, can do most things independently now but still having bit of trouble putting socks on and doing up laces on operated side. Though I had problems with this 2yrs prior to operation. I am also seeing my surgeon on Monday same day as my hip buddie polarice.
I Will ask him then if I can try flexing a bit more on operated side to try harder with with socks and laces. Because I have had cold feet for 6 wks. ha ha.

I am feeling alot more confident and think I am well on course to be back in work full time within next 4 to 6 weeks. I haven't been taking any pain meds for the last week, basically because I haven't need any. So that is great, but they are still there in case. If I am sitting down I feel no pain and sometimes feel like I haven't had op.
They is still weakness in operated hip but I can feel it is getting stronger every day. My main aim is to get rid of the limp when unaided so I am concentrating on this, remember though I did have limp 2 yrs prior to op.

In general though I am feeling good and motivated, I think my recovery is coming on good and getting stronger everyday.

Anyway signing of now. and will update again soon.

I hope your all doing good.
 
Happy Six Week Anniversary!
It is good to read you’re feeling confident in your recovery and seem to have an understanding that since you were unable to easily put on socks, or walk without a limp for two years, that it may take you longer to put on socks with ease and completely lose the limp. Concentrating on the heel-toe walking should help. It made me feel more in control as though I was walker taller, straighter, stronger compared to the sloppy gait I adopted as I favored my ailing hip. You’re doing great @Giddsy1 and you’ll get there!
Best Wishes for your appointment on Monday. Let us know how it goes, we’d love to hear.
 
Such a great update mate! Congrats on the 6 weeks!! That is such amazing news! Slow and steady my friend is what got us this far and we are doing well.

I hear you about the socks and shoes. I can do both but JUST BARELY. I think it will be a little while before I can do both comfortably. It’s a good marker on how I’m doing tho, because there was no way in heck that I could get close to my toes before-now at least I can do it.

Just takes time my friend. We will get there. Excited about Monday and our follow ups and X-rays.
 
yes polarice

Got to be patient on certain things I suppose, glad your recovery is going great, and best of luck for Monday.
 
:wave:Hello and Happy Tuesday @Giddsy1
I hope your appointment went well yesterday and you walked out of there with a little hop in your step. :wink: Those first post op appointments are usually a relief and mood booster as the surgeon confirms all looks as it should and you’re doing well.
A great rest of the week to you!
 
Happy 7 weeks to us buddy! Can you believe we have gone through it already and doing as well as we are. Definitely post your update about your appt. We are all routing for you my friend!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom