THR thr recovery

Hi @Giddsy1 good to hear you are in recovery now and on the mend.
After having my left hip replacement, in the first few days I never imagined I would be able to do the things I can do now after only 5 weeks.
My left leg actually feels stronger than my right now when I am out for a walk and I was walking about in the house tonight for about 30 mins before I realised I had lost my crutch, eventually found it in the garage where I had left it when I went out to look for something earlier.
What I’m trying to say is, it may feel like a struggle now but hopefully after a few weeks you will start to do things naturally again without even thinking about it.
I hope this helps a bit as I’m not great at dishing out advice but I know all the encouragement and tips I have received on this site have kept my spirits up.
 
thanks vespa mod, it helps a great deal, and gives me plenty of confidence just hearing your experience after 5 wks. I think I will be picking your brains for the next few weeks. any help is good help and I thank you for this.
 
Hopefully they'll get you out of there soon.
I was super nervous really about going home, but it was easier to get comfy, be able to get up and move about when I needed to and manage my icing.:ice:
The first 3 or 4 days post op were rather jolting, but things levelled off and I learned to relax and just heal.

You'll be glad to get home.:elevate:
 
You will feel so much better, when you get home! Laying on your back, trying to sleep, is the worst-ugh. It helped me too, to mark off the days-one more day down! It actually went quicker, than I thought! It only gets better from here :)
 
I hope this finds you comfortably at home. Let the family help take care of you while you adjust to being home. Ice, rest, and don’t overdo. Take your pain meds regularly these first days if you’re having pain. That first week can be a little rough so be good to yourself. It’s okay for it to be all about you right now. Well, okay. Mostly about you. Lol. We’re here if you need us.
 
home now, bit strange, sorted the stairs and went up and down them few times, having a bit of aching now, probably from the extra activity.
must say the surgeon and his staff from top to bottom were amazing at the hospital I went too. They all made my three day stay as comfortable as possible. met many nice people in 3 short days.
 
It‘s nice to read that you’re home! Hopefully you’re chillin with some ice :ice: and the aching has eased. I am sure you’re feeling some discomfort and fatigue from the extra activity of leaving your surgery site, then making the trek home and into the house to get settled in. I hope you’re resting comfortably. Thanks for updating, we’d love to follow your progress.
@Giddsy1
 
Well…you’ve made it to one week post op. Happy One Week Anniversary!
I hope you’re doing well. We’d love to read about your progress when you’re up to sharing.
Wishing you a comfortable rest of the week. :)
 
thanks layla, yes one week gone all seems to be going to plan regular exercise. everyday getting better. only one problem and that is can't sleep but relative got me some sleeping tablets from my GP today so hopefully that will help.
 
@Giddsy1 you sound good for one week out and unfortunately that elusive sleep sticks around for a while. Just my recommendation but if you do take some sleep meds I suggest you keep the walker next to your bed in the event of midnight bathroom trips. Actually at this point I would keep it there even without the meds for safety's sake.
 
:wave: @Giddsy1
I don't think I slept a consecutive 2 to 3 hours for the first weeks post op.:bored:
My legs needed to move constantly to stay comfortable until they weren't and trying to settle in the bed and then having to get up was a struggle.

So I resigned myself to napping mostly in my recliner, puttering off and on with short walks all night, and getting a 20 minute power nap several times throughout the day.
:sigh:

Annoying, I know, but all Temporary.
I was foggy enough with the pain meds, so I'm not sure I would've wanted to exacerbate it with a sleep aid.

I agree with Elf1 about being cautious as I had some dizzy spells from time to time without warning.
Also you want to make sure there are no contradictions with meds and sleep aids.

Your body is tramatized, working hard to heal soft tissue and make up for blood loss and needs Time more than anything you can Do.

All Temporary and well worth it in the End!:tada:
 
All good guys had 6 hrs sleep last night and feel reel good, I will only use sleeping tablet as a last resort. But I hadn't been asleep for 1 min for the past 6 days.
 
Oh my Stars!
:alarm:
I'm sure you needed that restorative Sleep then.
Hopefully the lack of sleep isn't due to severe pain.
If so, I would contact the OS office to get meds tweaked.

Hope today is a Better Day.:SUNsmile:
 
no Mojo333

the pain is under control and to honest quite happy with that, the difficulty is when I was a teenager I had a break in my back and thus have never been able to sleep on my back, and as soon as I do it becomes very uncomfortable.
I knew this before the lthr and new I would have trouble here. I am a side sleeper I will see my consultant in 5 days and ask if I can sleep on my side then, if not I am fully prepared to try my best on my back till 6 wks.

All good though feeling good.
 
Totally feel for you! Sorry, I don’t remember what procedure you had-I had a lateral (side) and was told, I could sleep on my side right away. I did for the first few days, but, I had to go to my back, as it was too uncomfortable. By 2 weeks, I was fine.

Might be worth a phone call, if your sleep is that disrupted. I know, I pestered my surgeon’s office more than once, early on. They didn’t mind :)
 
Ugh, so sorry to read this. I can see why you’ve been struggling with sleep. Thankfully your pain is well managed!

I hope you get a green light to sleep on your side, or semi side at the very least with pillows behind you and one in between legs. Finger crossed for you on Tuesday. Until then I hope you catch a few winks here and there. Try reading a boring book….always works in putting me to sleep. :yawn: :sleep:
A peaceful evening to you!
@Giddsy1
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom