THR thr recovery

Brilliant updates @Giddsy1 . You are making such great progress, but still remembering to be careful when needed.

I envy your beach walks. We used to live a short drive from the Kent coast, and my one regret about moving to the midlands is the distance from the sea.

I don’t want to be a dismal downer, but maybe be a little bit thoughtful of your non-operated hip? Just speaking from my own experience. I was so pleased with my new left hip when it was a year old, that I set myself a challenge to walk a bit further every day. I had got up to a daily minimum of 13,000 steps (and a lot more on some days) and my right hip suddenly became acutely arthritic. The physio I consulted then said that 13,000 was definitely overdoing it, and keep to a maximum of 6,000. I did - weird to use my step counter as a limit not a motivator! This kept me free of acute pain until the right hip packed it in altogether about nine months later, not long enough for the NHS waiting list, so I went private and got a new right hip. Which was, and is, recovering very well. But then I got overenthusiastic and upset the muscles around the left hip to such an extent I had to go back from no crutches to 2 again for a very frustrating fortnight. So I wish I had paid more attention to the early warning signals from the non-operated side.

But I am a rather fat old biddy and you sound like a fit bloke in your prime. So feel free to ignore my cautionary tale.
 
Hi Klassy

How is my Midlands hip buddy.

No your right I will be cautious and try my best, only thing is though I am on my feet all day at work and do alot of walking in work and climbing, ladders and that sometimes. Anyway I will take on that challenge when it comes.

I got to put up my feet for a few days as I tested positive for covid this morning. I feel OK though just aching a bit. Got to isolate for a few days.
My sons birthday is Sunday so I hope I am OK by then. I will do L F T on Saturday afternoon.

I am going back to work on April the 18th, (in office for first 2 weeks), then back on site on the 3rd of May.

Anyway hope your good Klassey and thanks for the information.

my kids will have to take down the beach for next couple days, as I am in bedroom.

Speak soon.
 
I’m sorry to read you tested positive, Giddsy. I certainly hope the achiness eases quickly, your symptoms remain mild and you’re well for your sons birthday this weekend.
Wishing you comfort. :console2: Get lots of rest and feel better soon!
@Giddsy1
 
Take care, @Giddsy1
Drink, walk, jack upon Vitamin C and hope :fingersx: things resolve for the birthday celebration
 
Thanks for your kind thoughts Giddsy. I think the beach will be chilly today, is your dog a husky?!

Starting back at work in the office sounds a good plan. And just to balance my negativity, you might like to check out @Vespa_mod ‘s thread, he is back at a physically demanding job after 12 weeks.

Sorry to hear about the Covid. I hope the symptoms are mild and you are all clear in time for the birthday celebrations.
 
Hi @Giddsy1, hope your doing well.
Just to follow up from @Klassy, I went back to work last Friday after taking 12 weeks off. It is a physically demanding, 12 hour a day job and I got on fine. A lot of the time when doing things I didn’t even give my hip much of a thought but things like climbing ladders and reaching into areas, I would take my time and it’s like your recovery, once you get the confidence to do something it feels ok. You will know your limits and I’m sure if you don’t feel confident about doing something I hope your workplace will be understanding.
I was told when I went back to work, if I needed any help just to ask, but I’m pretty stubborn and don’t like to be beat so I would give everything a try but always being careful, we don’t want to ruin all the hard work we have been through over the last few months by doing something daft.
I hope this helps a little to ease your mind. During my recovery, one week I would feel I wasn’t getting anywhere then the following week things just fall into place and now I can’t believe it was only 12 weeks ago that I was only taking a few steps on crutches.
All the best, take care and let me know if there’s anything I can help you with.
 
Hi Vespa mod.

Nice one for the information. I am four weeks behind you I had my op on the 2nd Feb.

I will definitely use my head for first couple of months back in work. I work as a windows doors and Conservatory fitter. I mostly work with other people. My boss is pretty good and I am sure for the first few months back in work he won't give me any of the tough jobs.


I am going back to work on the 18th April, I will be in office for first 2wks maybe a bit of surveying, then I will be back on site on May 3rd, which will be my 12 week stage.

I have been reading your threads and getting little tips from there. I see that you work on the ferry's up in Scotland. I might take kids up to Scotland for a weekend in the summer. I have always fancied the Isle of skye or somewhere like that. I live in South Wales.



Thanks again.
 
Thanks Klassy.

he is a little fella a cavachon.
Oh now you are really stoking my envy!

The dog I plan to get, once I have hips recovered and we have finished ongoing renovations to our house (including secure fences), hopefully by September or so, is a cockapoo. I have also looked at cavapoochon as a variety, which I think would be cavachon with a dash of poodle. My husband is very supportive of the get doggy project, but adamant that we shouldn’t get a small one, for fear we tread on it or I fall over it. I think he may also believe the smaller the yappier. I think the smaller the cuter, and easier to pick up. But we are compromising on medium.

Apologies for the derail of your thread!
 
Hi Klassy

My Sister has a cockapoo, she is a alot bigger than my cavachon. My Cavachon is a mix of prince Charles spanial and Bichon frise.

I used to have a westie and he lived till 17.

My dog chase is 5 now he is not too yappy, but I do agree with your husband he is quite a small dog. And he can get under your feet, few times I have to watch where he is. The little blighter lol.
He is great with my kids..

My sisters dog the cockapoo is lovely dog too with a very good nature.

so I would agree with your husband a cockapoo sounds ideal, although like you say a bit heavier to pick up. lol.
 
Hi All.

I am 10 weeks post op now, and all good. I have been working part time, and I am in work full time from Tuesday 19th April.

Last night I slept for a full 8 hrs undisturbed, now that hasn't happened for about 5 yrs pre op. So recovery going well, I am just walking as much as I can and getting stronger everyday. I am not taking any unnecessary risks and am still aware that I am in recovery. Basically I have to remind myself not to go over the top with anything. So all in all going good and feel good.

Anyway I hope your all good bonesmart buddies.
 
Oh, yay!:happydance:
Isn't catching up on sleep just the Best.
It was what I was most excited for as I was severely sleep deprived to the point where I was happy to get the "surgery sleep":) :-) (:
 
Sleep!! Such a wonderful, restorative thing. Giddsy, you sound great.. you are having such a nice recovery.
That makes us all so happy!

Keep on with your stellar recovery
 
Happy Ten Weeks!
Wow, seems like it flew by, but probably not to you. It’s good to hear you’re back at work and moving toward full time on Tuesday. Eight hours of undisturbed sleep is wonderful news and so good for your healing body.

You have a level head in regard to the THR recovery process which should keep you out of the ODIC. Hopefully you can stay in touch here awhile longer, once you return to work full time, so we can continue following your great progress.
All the best! @Giddsy1
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom