THR Home from the hospital and looking forward to going back to yoga!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My PT who worked miracles on my upper back/neck would give me moist heat, a handheld massager for 5 min, dig her fingers into my lungs right through my back muscles LOL, and then ice me-- it worked like a charm! So I'm all for that approach.
BarbaraR I bet you just overdid it, especially with that concrete floor, ow! Keep us posted :)
 
Good morning everyone, and happy Mother's Day! Tomorrow will be three months since my hip replacement. I am so, so happy that I did it. Having freedom of movement in my hip is remarkable and feels miraculous. Every day gets a little better. I am now back to work full time and on full schedule. My husband had back surgery a week ago and I'm his caregiver (but he's doing extremely well, so that has been very easy). And I have been easing my way back into yoga classes. For those familiar with yoga styles, I've been taking Iyengar and Anusara classes. I still have some soreness in the front of my thigh, and some of the secondary aches and pains from realignment--SI joint pain, knee pain-- still bug me. But I think the best thing is that I now go long periods of time without even thinking about my hip, I can walk quickly and comfortably, and most of all, I feel as if I have my life back.

For those who are having difficulty deciding whether to do the surgery, I want to echo what everyone else says--do it. I was as terrified as everyone else, the first week or so after surgery was really tough, and the recovery is a long process--but with a lot more highs than lows. Being able to walk, bend, sit and stretch without that horrible grinding pain is a great payoff.

I also want to thank Josephine, Poppet, bottomshollow, sharonslp, and all my new Bone Smart friends who have helped support me and so many others on this journey. This is a great forum, and it kept me sane in the dark times. I am grateful for you all every day.

I'll stick around, but life certainly has a way of cutting into my Bone Smart time! I hope all of you who are moms have a wonderful Mother's Day. And I wish you all great recoveries. XO
 
And Happy Mothers' Day to you. Love your positive approach. Couldn't have explained the 'journey' better.
Stay well, fit and happy!
 
BarbaraR What a nice uplifting post. Gald your hubby did well with his surgery and that you, too, are doing so well. Have a Happy Mother's Day!
 
Barbara, the very best outcome is for you to be so fully immersed in your active life that you simply have no time for Bonesmart. We won't be mama birds and kick you out, but you flying away on your own is just the way it should be. Of course, you have to come back on anniversaries and report how well you are doing. :)

Sharon
 
Hi everyone! I was inspired by designergirl to update my thread, also. Today is my 4 monthiversary since the surgery, and I'm doing well. I went back to work in March. I have been working full time since the beginning of May, and it feels like I never left. I stopped PT in April when PT consisted of riding the stationery bike and walking on the treadmill--do I have to see a physical therapist to do that? I think the coolest thing is that I now go long periods of time without thinking of my hip. I still have a little muscle soreness and weakness in the front of my thigh, but I saw the PA Tuesday and she reassured me that that would abate over time. As I reported before, I am back to yoga but slowly, and I now have no restrictions except to ease into activities as tolerated. On Tuesday I took the train into Manhattan for my appointment and walked across town and back--about 3 miles round trip on city streets. I confess to having to ice when I got home (I think my knees bothered me more than my hip did), but that's not the worst thing. I am so happy that I did this--I really feel like I have my life back. And I am so grateful to the people who started and manage BoneSmart, and all of you, for being my support group during which what could have been a very lonely recovery. Love and gratitude to you all, and I hope you all have complete recoveries! XO
 
[Bonesmart.org] Home from the hospital and looking forward to going back to yoga!
with a brand new hip, and you, Barbara, are living proof of how successful THR can be!!! Thanks for a great inspiring update. May life continue to be better and better for you.

Take care and keep us updated. We care.
 
Hi BarbaraR Lovely to hear from you again and I just want to say how pleased I am that you are doing so well.I bet you were delighted to accomplish that 3 mile walk around NYC.I would be delighted to be doing all you are doing when I am 4 months.Well done !
 
BarbaraR thanks for the update-- you sound marvelous. Three miles in Manhattan, whew! Congratulations. And my thanks to you for your support :) Keep the updates rolling, ok?
 
So glad to hear you are back to your normal life!!!!It was great getting to share this experience with you. I just got back from flying my Hawaii trip. This is the third one since my hip replacement, and each one gets a little easier. I also still have pain in my upper thigh, and sometimes groin pain, but I feel its better every week. Good luck with your new hip and have a wonderful painfree life!!!!
 
It's good to see you checking in and to hear you're doing really well. It's wonderful that you don't even think about your hip these days and that you are able to walk so far, especially through the busy streets, and not be worried by pain and discomfort! You gave me such help before and after surgery and I'm so grateful to you. Thanks xx
 
BarbaraR.
Good to hear and nice to know how the 4 month point might feel for me....I know we're all different and yoga would be a step too far I feel. It's the getting up and down off the floor that's my challenge!
How to not break restrictions....90 degrees and crossing the mid point. The getting down is perhaps doable but oh so hard on the opposite knee. No idea how the getting up would go. I would love to do both yoga and, partcularly pilates again but both involve mat work on the floor.
Can see myself doing an Abs workout on a fitball as long as I can jam it between a wall and something else :cheers:
Sticking to a circuit class with stepper, boxing, strength exercises etc at the moment!
 
BarbaraR What a wonderful update, gives all of us encouragement for the future. I can't wait for the day that I can say I haven't thought about my hips. Activity is the key. You are doing so well. I hope you post more regularly, it's great to hear the positive fed that you give.
 
Hi everyone! Well, it has been 6 months for me. I started taking my regular yoga classes about a month ago, and I'm so happy I had the surgery. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for all your love and support.

[Bonesmart.org] Home from the hospital and looking forward to going back to yoga!


(That's me sitting in full lotus!)
With love and gratitude always,
Barbara
 
[Bonesmart.org] Home from the hospital and looking forward to going back to yoga!
That's some pose, Barbara!!!! Couldn't do that if my life depended on it---but couldn't do that in my teens either, so I'm good with it! So happy and pleased for you.
 
Wow Barbara that is fantastic, just shows what you can achieve if you put your mind to it, well done xxxxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom