Guest viewing is limited

THR THR #2 (7/21/14) a better recovery than THR #1 (4/22/13)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @cthipster I'm not sure that my operative side would frog out yet because my pre-op groin muscles were so tight. I was experimenting with kind of tilting toward my operative side with a pillow between my legs. I think the bulky bandages alone are enough to make side sleeping uncomfortable for now.
 
@muckingabout , Just to clarify, I was not advocating laying on your side. I meant put a small pillow under one side of your butt while seated so you are not sitting so flat. I find that feels like a new position to me. I only sue a pillow or the corner of a bigger one that makes a 1-2" difference.
 
I gotcha. It was funny, in the pre-op class they said they were going to put us on our sides as soon as we got to the room from recovery, but what they meant was kind of tilting us with a wedge, which seems to me the same sort of thing you are advocating.
 
'm writing to report in on my progress since I'm officially at the end of Week 4 of hip replacement #2, posterior approach. My legs lengths were the same before surgery. I was in okay shape, and my first hip replacement is stable and reliable.

Meds: I've been off the prescription pain meds (Nycunta) for over a week. As of now, I'm taking Tylenol 100 mg, 2-3 times a day, along with Piroxicam which was my arthritis med (using this instead of ibuprofen). The time is spacing out between the Tylenols, as I notice I don't need it as much. In addition, I'm taking aspirin twice a day for blood clot prevention, calcium with Vitamin D, and Vitamin B12. No need for a laxative or stool softener since my system is back to normal.

Walking aids: I can walk unassisted in the house, including up and down stairs and out around the house. I actually gardened today with no cane. No bending over, so my weeding job wasn't that good. It was a milestone in any case. If I go for walks or outside the house on errands, I definitely bring the cane to keep my gait straight

Rehab: I do the exercises they gave me from the hospital (one set of ten), and I do them 3-4 times a day at different times. I have only done one mile plus walk this week, as I was tired. I ice after every walking. I did cross 7K steps on my Fitbit today, from gardening and walking, so that's a new record.

Swelling: I didn't have bad swelling, so I'm virtually back to normal. I can roll over and rest on the operated side without an issue.

State of Mind: I think I was getting or at least acting a little stressed this week. I start phasing into work tomorrow, so I think it's at the back of my mind.

Stamina: Stamina wasn't as good this week as in Week 3. I don't have to rest or sleep during the day. I just started doing light housework and cooking. But I was fatigued -- not enough to nap but enough not to do walking every day.

Driving: I started driving this week. Not the best idea, I found, as it was uncomfortable and driving and doing errands was too tiring.

Weight: I lost five pounds after the surgery and am trying to watch my portions. Definitely my appetite is back though!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like you are doing fantastic! I feel a bit jealous of all you are doing but it's not my time yet and it will come soon enough :) Take it slow with the driving, it will all come together with time. Nice to see you :)
 
@Carriemay60, you win the amazing hippie award for getting to a wedding five days after surgery, in addition to dealing with a pesky fracture. Any updates there?
 
I am also addicted to my fitbit. A great recovery tool once one gets more mobile.
 
@cthipster I could not be happier that I made it to my daughter's wedding and share such a truly special day with her but I was saying (or sniveling) to my husband yesterday, I sure wish I could remember a bit more detail of the day and the week around it with all the kids together. I was still on pretty heavy doses of morphine and there are huge chunks of time just missing and some that are mixed up in a fog. I did manage to get some very special memories though like zipping her into her dress and tying her sash, making her "bride shirt" to wear for hair apt, etc. so I am very grateful for that. And I remember all the jammy kisses of the grandchildren in the morning coming to say good morning to me :)

Thank you for asking. I am alternating with the leg brace on & off. I think I feel more secure with it on and oddly sleep better but I think that is more a feeling of security than necessity. I do have a lot of knee cracking going on, even when walking which I guess could be normal but it does concern me a bit. The knee is till not loving weight bearing and I can get fairly sharp pains (they are not over the top, but sharp rather than achy) and I am having trouble getting it straight still which I think will come with time and physio. On Josephine's suggestion I am going to push forward with the opinion of a trauma OS. My brain is coming out of it's fog a bit more now and I have done some online research on doctors in my area and have come up with a top choice that I plan to write to early this week and ask if he would agree to see me. It's frustrating using the walker that I feel my 5 month old knee is getting in the way more than my 3 week old hip, though admittedly my leg is very wasted. In the meantime, I will push on within reason just building strength and try not to put the knee at risk. I feel better in myself the last few days which feels most important to me right now :)
 
Hi @cthipster, great to hear things are progressing...I believe my in-house PT starts either Mon or Wed. Glad to hear that pain is subsided. I've also been doing the exercises that the hospital sent me home with, it feels good to stretch that leg and do it.
 
@Carriemay60, so glad you are feeling better. Day by day. Also, it's nice that you have a plan that you feel will help you. No surprise that the knee is impeding you at the moment, and I'm glad you have the walker to get around. Sounds like the walker and your other leg are doing most of the work, and I know you will find the way to safely reengage and strengthen the injured leg.

@toohip, you must be excited for this new stage in your recovery. Remember if you have any question in your mind about what the PT is doing, stop. I got injured on day 8 through in-house PT on my first hip replacement, and I should have just said no instead of doing what the PT said. She had me put my full-weight on the operated leg and do an exercise. I felt a torquing up my leg, which scared the hell out of me, and caused a whole lot of hullaballoo and a trip to the hospital for x-rays. Turns out I just pulled a muscle, but the stress and pushback in recovery could have been avoided.

I knew it wasn't a good idea, so my mistake was not listening to my body and instead listening to the PT.

I hope you are feeling well in your first week!
 
@Jean53, thanks. I went to work today for a senior admin all-day meeting. I told my boss I would probably only stay the morning, as I was building up stamina. I made the mistake of trying to stay until 2 pm. I guess I turned gray, disrupted the meeting, and had to have someone drive me home. I got giant shooting pains in my operated leg, felt nauseated, and got woozy. I also burst into tears once I was in the car -- don't know why. It just happened.

That's the thing I've noticed. The hip takes no prisoners. I can be fine one minute and then totally fall off the cliff.

Now I know I shouldn't try to work more than two hours at a time these last two weeks of my leave and I phase back into full-time work.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh @cthipster,

That sounds awful for you... I hope that once you got home you able to rest and take a nap. It is still early days and I guess all you can do as you said gently phase back into work.
 
@cthipster Oh my, that's terrible. I'm sorry you got worn out. How well I remember that feeling my first week of half days. It would hit me suddenly and hard. Take advantage of whatever your employer will allow as far as easing back into work. I realized at the end of last week that my exhaustion is now gone. One day, soon, yours will be gone too. Hang in there, take it easy, and rest.
 
:flwrysmile:Oh hun, I feel so bad for you! You are definitely being told to take things a little easier and slower. You are exactly a week ahead of me and I am still napping or at least laying down once or twice a day and nothing more than a bit of physio and house laps. I am off work indefinitely because of my duties and liabilities and other than really wanting my paycheck back am so grateful to not have that pressure. My old physio gal stopped by today by chance not knowing about my hip and the minute I saw her I was in pool of tears, like huh? In hindsight, I think they came from feelings of being overwhelmed with all that has happened with the last 3 weeks and this chronic fatique that major surgery leaves behind. Do try expecting less of yourself in the short term. I am of the mind that nurses and caregivers know often more than the doctors and really think Josephine and the others are preaching the truth when they say to take it easy ~ a couple of months now to heal slow and steady is nothing in the big picture if it brings you a really meaningful recovery. I hope you have managed a nap and are resting for the remainder for the day.
 
Thanks @Jean53, @NoraJ, @muckingabout, and @Carriemay60, I have felt worse this week (beginning of week 5) and last week (week 4) than in my first few weeks. I think I am anxious about work, even though I haven't really been doing any work except for yesterday. It's like a giant cloud over my head. My team is stressed too at work, as it would be helpful to have me back. They are not putting any pressure on me, but I can feel it. This is a real opportunity for me to practice peace and letting things happen as they will. Definitely not easy for a A++ personality type like me, but I certainly can try. I appreciate your support.
 
@cthipster It's so tempting to say, okay, this is done, what's next. It sounds like you have a job you really love and care about, so it's hard to feel like you're letting the team down.
 
@muckingabout, my job is very goal-oriented, as I am a fundraiser and have $6M to raise this fiscal year (July-June). Fall is my busiest season, so I'm feeling a bit unprepared. But worrying doesn't make any work get done. So I shall lay on the couch, ice, and enjoy my day at home. I'll try to do a couple hours work tomorrow.

I do love my job, as it's really challenging and joyful, because good things happen as a result of the money we raise. My co-workers are awesome.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom