THR THR #2 (7/21/14) a better recovery than THR #1 (4/22/13)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@cthipster , it's very early for you to be returning to work. At only 5 weeks out I am not surprised you had the problems you did that first day. We recommend 10-12 weeks and then a Phased return to work. Trying to return too early will only set you back.
 
Thanks, @Jaycey, I'm officially 30 days from surgery. I have two weeks left of leave, but with hip replacement #1, I was phasing back in at this point. Definitely going to be cautious after what happened yesterday, as my first week officially back is going to be a doozy. I have to be very careful in the next two weeks not to get burned out or set back my recovery.
 
Try not to let the goals and expectations of your work dictate your recovery. Your coworkers will respect and honor you for making your health a priority and it will give everyone some perspective. If you approach returning to work with a clear head and limits set, your stress level will be less and you'll be more productive in the hours you are working. Remember, your hip is going to be with you always, even as jobs come and go. Be kind to yourself.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@cthipster , your job sounds extremely rewarding and necessary ~ Kudos to you for helping to make good things happen for people! My boss was off this last year from December until March and while we really missed her leadership and mentoring most of us knew the best way to support her was to get on with it and demonstrate she could count on us. A phone call or quick meeting with her kept us going. My point is, if you have a good, strong team, you can lead with very little physical presence. Most staff will bend over backwards to be supportive and do the extra needed to support you in your absence. Limit yourself carefully today and hopefully it will be a positive one! :)
 
'm writing to report in on my progress since I'm officially at the end of Week 5 of hip replacement #2, posterior approach. My legs lengths were the same before surgery. I was in okay shape, and my first hip replacement is stable and reliable. I have one more week of medical leave.

Meds: I'm taking Tylenol 100 mg, maybe twice a day. I find I don't need the meds during the day, but at night I do. In addition, I'm taking aspirin twice a day for blood clot prevention, calcium with Vitamin D, and Vitamin B12. I haven't found a need to ice in the past week, although I didn't do that much walking.

Walking aids: I went shopping at Lord & Taylor and Home Goods yesterday and did not bring the cane. I'm still walking a little funny, but I should straighten out over time. I will definitely use the cane on any exercise walks.

Rehab: I have the exercises from the hospital but haven't been doing them the past week. I didn't do any real exercise walking since I was tired.

Swelling: Swelling is virtually gone, and my hips are about the same size as they were pre-op.

State of Mind: Hip is fine, but I had stress stomach. Thinking about going back to work is making my stomach jumpy. It's a subconscious thing.

Stamina: I went to work on Monday for four hours -- a mistake -- and then only worked three hours from home on Wednesday and 3 1/2 hours on Friday. At this point, I think I am good for four hours, which is progress, but get tired and cranky. Still trying to lay low. This week I will be at work for a few hours here and there, before I go back to full time next week.

Driving: I was cleared to drive this past week, and it was fine.

Weight: I lost five pounds after the surgery and am trying to watch my portions.
 
Hope all goes well at work - watch for that energy drain :)
 
@Jaycey, as a moderator, I bet you are SO prepared for #2! I was scared to go through it again and had to keep reminding myself that the first two weeks are the hardest and then it gets better from there. I am also hopeful that having #2 done will allow me to get the full benefit of having #1 done. I am excited for that moment when I'm not calculating how many steps I'm going to have to take to do something or decide my activities based on how much walking there might be. What a glorious day that will be!
You win the internet for the day with this posting. Too bad you are finding out that you won after you internet day is over.
 
Thanks, @Poppet and @Jean53. I was out of the house from 8:30 am to 7 pm yesterday, at work in the morning and with kids shopping for school. It was intense, but I survived without falling off the cliff. This gives me hope that my stamina is coming back. @randy62, lucky we are all winners with the internet!
 
Yes, it is quite interesting actually regards the energy drain phenomena - one day I woke up went to work and it was gone - you are on your way x
 
How are you doing it!!!??? At Week 5, I too had to return to work, but fortunately, just part-time, but Week 6, I was back to full-time. I am at Week 9 and icing my shins and left ankle.
 
@cthipster Glad you are phasing the workplace back in..... sounds betters now.
I see you use the Fitbit, too. I love mine! It motivates me to keep getting outside and walking to
rack up steps. Yay!
Keep up your good work!
 
@cthipster Amazing!! Hopefully you rest a day or two before trying an all day outing again. I would have had to rest at least a couple of days, I'm sure. You are progressing well!
 
@Poppet, @LoyalD, @MajorHeidi, @beachgal, @Jean53

thanks for your support. Yesterday I was out from 9:30 am - 1 pm running errands. Then at work from 2-4 pm and then at work again for an event from 6:45 pm to 8:30 pm. I was tired but didn't fall off a cliff, so it seems like if I can rest a little bit between bursts of activity, I'm okay. I have a co-worker who is watching me like a hawk and is trying to keep my activity low at work. It's good.

Today I will be out with errands and at work until noon and then I'm going to rest, as yesterday was a busy day. I see the orthopedic surgeon tomorrow for post-op visit. Even though it's shy a few days of the 6-week mark, I hope to be released from restrictions. My knees and ankles are bothering me, and I will be so happy when I can fully stretch my quads, hamstrings, shin muscles, etc.

Next week I'm back full-time. It's a bit intimidating.
 
@cthipster, keep us posted on OS visit tomorrow. You're just a few days ahead of me (I'm five weeks tomorrow) and I'll be happy when restrictions are lifted. I'll still be cautious since some of my movements on op leg still feel stiff. More PT to work on that.

I really believe that moving around and running errands has helped get some of my energy back. I can do more now than just a week ago. While I miss hubby and dog, it enables me to do more things for myself and experiment with adding more chores to my activities. Good job ! Keep up the good work!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@cthipster It sounds like you are finding a balance now that works for you ~ woohoo!! It would be great if you could phase into the full-time a little more now that you are levelling out to avoid a set-back ~ maybe even a long lunch of sitting quietly with your door closed? Keep up the good work!
 
Hi @cthipster. ..it sounds like you've got the balance right. Good luck at your OS hopefully it will be as you expect. I have to say my colleagues were great too at minding me and not letting me do too much.

I hope that returning to work full time won't be too difficult...
 
I hope you all can give me some encouragement. After much waffling, I decided not to go to Giants stadium to see the Pats and Giants play a pre-season match. I have never gone to the stadium, as I always felt the walking would be too much when I had bad hips. Even though I have a brand new hip and a 1 1/2 yr old hip now, I was worried that I didn't have the stamina to go tonight. I was out of the house from 8:30 am to 2 pm running errands and at work, and going to the stadium would have required leaving the house at 4 pm and getting home around 11:30 pm.

I feel pretty badly as this could have been great family time before my eldest leaves for college. Maybe I could have sucked it up. My husband is wondering how I'm going to go back to work full-time next week if I can't manage something like this. What do you think?
 
@cthipster, only you can answer that question and decide if you feel you feel up to the challenge. Is there any chance you could use a wheelchair for the long walk, etc? I don't know. I'd be inclined to skip it, too, but it's tough when you can envision a great family time, especially when you've been so limited in what you've been able to do. Ugh. That's hard. And I love football.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom