THR THR #2 (7/21/14) a better recovery than THR #1 (4/22/13)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@cthipster, I have changed your thread title per your request. This one makes perfect sense. Don't know what Jo was thinking when she came up with the old one.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
I'm sorry for the not nice picture. What's grody is all the leftover tape, dried skin, and what is probably scuzz/lint/who knows. [Shudder.]
What's all this shuddering and negativity? This is what wounds look like in the first few weeks. It's perfectly good looking, normal wound. There's no need to 'slather it' with anything. Why do people always think they have to interfere with things that our bodies are perfectly capable of dealing on their own? Just leave it alone and let nature take its course. Eventually it will be fine.
 
Don't know what Jo was thinking when she came up with the old one.
What was the old one? I don't recall changing it.
[Bonesmart.org] THR #2 (7/21/14) a better recovery than THR #1 (4/22/13)
 
@Josephine, thanks for your comments on the scar. My scar on the first hip replacement did not look like this one, as it was supple and not dry. I'm glad that it's within normal range in your opinion. I have slathered it with A&D ointment, as my brother the surgeon said it was all right at this point, which I gently wiped off after 20 minutes. It helped take off some of the dry skin, tape residue, etc., and make the scar less itchy.

I guess it was a ghost in the machine that changed the title. The title changed when you merged the original thread with a new thread I had started, which you let me know was not standard procedure. Sorry for giving you the credit on that one.
 
I'm writing to report in on my progress since I'm officially at the end of Week 3 of hip replacement #2, posterior approach. My legs lengths were the same before surgery. I was in okay shape, and my first hip replacement is stable and reliable.

Meds: I cut off of the prescription pain meds (Nycunta) at the beginning of the week, as the systemic itching was driving me nuts. It took about four or five days for the itching to subside. While my pain levels went up a little, it hasn't been bad enough to go back on the Nycunta. As of now, I'm taking Tylenol 100 mg, 3-4 times a day, along with Piroxicam which was my arthritis med (using this instead of ibuprofen). In addition, I'm taking aspirin twice a day for blood clot prevention, calcium with Vitamin D, and Vitamin B12. No need for a laxative or stool softener since my system is back to normal.

Walking aids: I can walk unassisted in the house, including up and down stairs, but I use a cane when out and about. I will use the cane in the house if I feel I'm tired or limping a little more, so that I keep my gait as straight as possible.

Rehab: I do the exercises they gave me from the hospital (one set of ten), and I do them 3-4 times a day at different times. The farthest I've walked at one time is 1.2 miles around my neighborhood. With hip replacement #1, I was walking 2 miles at this point and trying to up the mileage every day, which caused me to get overly sore and set me back. This time around I walk as far as I think I can before I will get sore. Then if I get an inkling I might get sore, I won't walk the next day or will cut the walking rehab significantly back. It's been a good strategy. I ice after every walking.

Swelling: I didn't have bad swelling, so I'm virtually back to normal. I can roll over and rest on the operated side without an issue.

State of Mind: Way better than hip replacement #1 when I would be trying too hard and then get depressed when I saw others were doing better or I wasn't meeting my own (unrealistic) expectations. I am recovering much faster this time around, as I'm going with the flow and not worrying about work. Instead, I have been scheduling one fun thing a day with a friend who will visit or go out to lunch with me. Then they will do my walk with me, whether in town, at the beach, park, or neighborhood. It's been fabulous.

Stamina: My stamina is very good. I don't have to rest or sleep during the day. I just started doing light housework and cooking. Not too much though as I am enjoying my family learning to do this work! I've been going out with friends for lunch and dinner.

Weight: I lost five pounds after the surgery and am trying to watch my portions. I have gained about three pounds, as I have been going out to eat with friends, and I am not moving that much. I read @Poppet's helpful article on healing and nutrition and am eating lots of proteins, fruits, and vegetables.

All in all, a great recovery so far. Friends say I look great and am walking much better than I was after hip replacement #1.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you are really recovering nicely, @cthipster. I'm hoping a lose a few pounds in recovery, because I have very little appetite and was moving so little before surgery.

I noticed you mentioned yoga a while ago. I've been doing Hatha and Power yoga for about a year (heavily modified for my condition) and the upper body strength and focused breathing has made a huge difference to my recovery.
 
@muckingabout, so great that you were able to physically prepare for the surgery through yoga. I think it's a great to do, with the right yoga instructor. I was in a pretty good exercise routine after hip replacement #1, with elliptical for cardio, weight training, and gentle yoga. Then in February, hip #2 started going, and I couldn't exercise. On the recommendation of a friend, I did individual Pilates sessions -- just five one month before surgery -- to create the muscle memory for alignment and symmetry, as well as strengthen my (pathetic) core. Even though it wasn't that many sessions, it has been instrumental to my recovery. Here's to onward and upward for all of us!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@MotownGirl66, here's a pic of the roller. I haven't used it recently and won't for awhile until I'm sure it's safe. This will probably be months from now, as I will go to a masseuse and a guy who does the Graston technique to initially break down the scar tissue in a controlled way. I have keloid too, so you and I have bumpy scars!

The roller I have is 6" in diameter, which is wide enough to keep me off the ground when I'm rolling on it. It hurts so good, just like the Graston technique, which hurts even more. GT is pretty intense, so if you think you have low pain tolerance, there are other gentler ways to break down scar tissue like massage.

I had THR #1 in April 2013 and THR #2 three weeks ago. My recovery is going well, and I wrote a summary post just a few posts above this one if you are interested in the details.
[Bonesmart.org] THR #2 (7/21/14) a better recovery than THR #1 (4/22/13)
 
@cthipster Thanks for the picture of your roller. I was just on Amazon looking at them - they come in all different colors and density. I will buy one today. As I am sitting here writing this, I can feel my sciatica on that left side reacting to something. Wish I had the roller right now!

Do you think we can get keloids internally? You seem to be doing very well with only being 3 weeks out from your most recent THR. I think going up and down in the stairs in my house, too, was instrumental in my recovery. My mom had both her hips done and also had a revision on one as her stem had loosened. I watched what she did and did the opposite - she sat around and didn't move all that much, she made us wait on her hand & foot, and it greatly affected her recovery. She still walks with a limp.

Robyn
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@MotownGirl66, there's a balance between doing too little and doing too much, don't you think? With THR #1, I overdid it a bit, because of an athlete mindset of no pain, no gain. With THR #2, I'm approaching it more from a perspective of muscle function. I think it's important to move enough so that I am getting bloodflow to the area, working the muscles, so they don't atrophy, and to not let that internal scar tissue get too binding. This can be done with a little walking IMO and doesn't require miles and miles, which I was trying to do the last time. The PT exercises are about range of motion and hitting all those major muscle groups.

I can feel that my body needs a little more movement/circulation at this point. I can't stretch properly because of the hip precautions, so I'm going to see if I can get an appointment with my massage therapist, so she can work out the kinks and increase circulation in my neck, shoulders, back, and legs (not around the scar though).

I'm no expert, but I thought keloids were excessive scar formation of skin tissue. Beyond the technical definition, I see why you are making the connection to internal keloids, because there is scar tissue in the muscles, etc. that were cut through and traumatized in surgery. I can imagine that muscular/ligament/tendon scar tissue can be excessive, depending on the amount of trauma, and that alone could cause a good amount of pain and inhibit range of motion, post-surgery. Maybe that's partly why your mom walks with a lump.

I find the orthopedic surgeons frustrating in this regard, as when people complain of pain and then go to the OSs, they take an x-ray and say "You look fine to me!" Their framework is pretty narrow. If people don't really know how much muscle dysfunction can cause pain, then it can feel like quite a downer when the doctor says you're fine, and you know you're not. There are many alternative therapies that can help with muscular function, and they've been very helpful to me, before and after the surgeries.
 
@cthipster. .I have definitely been taking mental notes on your experience! When I get to round 2 of my hip replacements I will be doing it differently!
 
@cthipster - so pleased you found my article helpful. You are very correct, nutrition. Is a key factor in our healing process - you are doing great :)
 
@NoraJ, you're about 2 1/2 months out, right? How do you think it's going? Have you seen a big improvement in your mobility and pain levels from before the surgery?
 
My scar on the first hip replacement did not look like this one
Well, we have a by-word on BoneSmart. No two surgeries are the same!
Do you think we can get keloids internally?
Keloid scars are just an abnormal generation of colloid tissue which is the gelatinous material un our bodies. The type causing keloid scarring is most frequently that in the skin. It happens randomly for the most part though there are certain ethnic types that are more prone to them that anyone else, such as Africans and those with dark skin.
 
@Poppet, thanks for taking the time to write the article. I eat pretty clean and can cook (although my food blog has been starving for awhile), so it was great to know what vitamins I should focus on, in addition to eating protein and taking my calcium supplements.
 
Jolly good! Don't forget your Magnesium foods, Mg and Calcium are partners, and before you can fully absorb Calcium you need Silica :)
 
@cthipster... if I'm honest today I still have a lot of discomfort. It's a slow process and mobility wise I don't see a great improvement yet!

I only really acknowledged I had a problem in June 2013 and went to my GP. I had a lot of knee and foot pain over the years. Then I got awful coccyx pain, which was at times unbearable. I had lost a lot of weight (80lbs the previous year) and had started going to the gym but found I could barely walk/move after some sessions. I had been able to walk 3 or 4km easily with good footware up until the March. X rays, mri ' s and physio assessment lead to me requested an OS referral. The physio basically said she could nothing as my range of motion was so poor. She told me later that at that point she was of the view I met the criteria for a hip replacement. Long story short from that point the deterioration was fairly rapid. I found I had been adjusting my lifestyle slowly to accommodate my limitations. The OS took one loom at my x ray and told me the only solution was a hip repkacement in Nov 13. By the time of the op I found I was always feeling pain somewhere. A lot of that was probably muscular and I think it's my muscles now that are adjusting to their new position.

I am looking forward to being able to go for a decent walk again... in the mean time swimming and an occasional bike ride for me!
 
@NoraJ, wow, congrats on being able to lose so much weight before. Your congenital abnormality sounds like one that would cause a lot of pain and mobility issues. Swimming sounds like good rehab, and I'm glad you have access to physical therapy.
 
@Josephine, question for you. I noticed some throbbing in my ankle on the operated side, and I noticed it was a little swollen. Barely noticeable but I can feel it. I put on a compression sock and have elevated the leg. Just checking in to see if I should be doing anything else. I haven't had swelling of the ankle before, either with THR #1 or this one so far. I had a busy day yesterday, so it's not surprising that this happened. Thanks!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom