Guest viewing is limited

THR THR #2 (7/21/14) a better recovery than THR #1 (4/22/13)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, what you've done thus far seem okay. The only thing I'd add is rest it!
 
@Josephine, thank you. I didn't schedule anything today and have been on easy street today. My ankle will thank me. :)
 
It will thank you more if you stay off it for several days! Just for a bit, anyway.
 
I have to pay for PT sessions. I can claim some of the expense back on insurance and on tax. For PT public options as an outpatient are limited. Sadly I put on about 35 lbs so hence the focus on eating healthy and getting back to my previous weight. I want to use the goal of being fit and fabulous for turning forty next summer....

I hope the ankle easing. I had swelling in my ankle at about the same stage as you. I just elevated it and iced. My OS ' S parting words were to expect bruising and swelling both of which I got so I didn't panic.
 
@NoraJ, I hear you. I pay out of pocket for the kinesiologist, masseuse, pilates, etc. It's a lot of money, but then I feel I have to make it a priority. I want to be fit and fabulous for entering a new decade next summer too.

This is the first time I had ankle swelling for either hip replacement. I was taking arnica, which is a great homeopathic solution to swelling, but then I stopped over a week ago. I shall start up again. My ankle feels better after ice and elevation. I'm going to see the masseuse tomorrow. I feel like I need a tune-up after being so sedentary.
 
@cthipster and @NoraJ, just a loving reminder to watch your sodium intake and up your water intake for swelling. I'm drinking 130 oz water everyday and I really believe it's helped with zero swelling for me.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal, thanks for the reminder. I've been drinking about six glasses of water a day, but I really should be drinking about 10 glasses to flush my system. I noticed this morning that my finger joints are a little tight, so I'm retaining water, whether it's from sodium intake or hormones. So I'm drinking!
 
@NoraJ, just had an hour massage. Very helpful! She said my back was very tight from walking with the cane. While she did not do much on the operated leg, she pushed up any fluid up from my ankle. I am drinking tons of water to help flush any extra water retention in my system and also an traces of anesthesia and pain meds lurking in my body.
 
@cthipster. ..lucky you! I was fine today, went for a swim and did some shopping and did something to my lower back . A massage sounds wonderful. I wish I had something stronger than paracetamol. .. so its an early night for me to relax.

I was conscious of my fluid intake for the same reason. ..wanting to flush out the medications and to help with swelling. Mine didn't last terribly long. The weather here is much milder as a rule but we had a warm spell in June and that contributed to it. It is warm there now..are you in NYC?
 
@NoraJ, yes, I'm in the NYC metro region. It hasn't been as warm as it usually has, but it's in the 80s F (around 26 C).
 
@beachgal @NoraJ @cthipster How do you deal with how sore your butt gets from lying/sleeping on your back and sitting all the time. I get up and walk or stand frequently. Is this just something I have to tolerate until my activity level increases?
 
Oh dear @muckingabout a touch of insomnia!

If I can recall it wasn't my but that was worst affected. ... it was the back of my knees and lower back when I slept. I took the advice I got here to put a pillow under my knees and that eased pressure up higher. That said I now can't not sleep on my back and even if I try to side sleep I revert to my back. I used to move about a lot but my body adjusted... eventually!
 
Sorry @muckingabout. I also have one of the special medical cushions (extra thick memory foam). Without a doubt that made sitting a while new experience for me and I still use it! I had severe coccyx pain prior to surgery so I wasn't taking a chance on that.
 
@muckingabout, I get stiff, too, after sleeping or sitting too long. I'm usually not aware of it until I start to get up. So my routine since surgery has been to do a few of the little exercises to help wake up the muscles and work out the soreness before I get up. I do the ankle pumps, the knee flexes, the butt squeezes, and hip abductor slides-slowly. I still hobble a bit on the first few steps but it helps get me moving quicker.

I also guzzle my first 24-oz glass of water first thing in the morning-even before coffee-since those muscles need that fluid. You lose a lot of fluid at nighttime just sleeping.

Hope this helps. You're doing good!!
We got this!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @cthipster.

I hope yesterday was a good day. 80°sounds fabulous. It's pushing made sixties and very showery here at the moment. I sure it's no great surprise to hear of rain in Ireland! I visited NY several times over the years. As typically Irish I have family there including an older brother. I would to visit again but I think a trip that would involve a lot of walking is off the agenda for a bit[emoji17].
 
@muckingabout , I find shoving a small pillow under the side of one butt cheek relieves the pressure as well. If you don't have a really small pillow, use the corner of a bigger one. I have lost a lot of weight off my butt with the broken leg and sometimes feel like I am sitting on bone (more so since the hip surgery) so I alternate the pillow from side to side, pillow under the knees and use a bunch of pillows to recline on for sleeping on my back. I was told doing a little walk (or lap around the house) every hour for the hip is best and to shift and change positions at least every two hours for the skin (pressure sores). I hope you are having a great day!
 
Thanks @Carriemay60 I was just thinking that I should be brave and try to lay on my operative side as is permitted. I've been afraid I won't get the pillow placement right.
 
@muckingabout, seems a little early to be lying on your operative side. Give yourself until about 2 1/2 weeks, and you can try. A surgeon told me an incision takes about two weeks to heal, so if that's the case, you can't do any damage trying to lay on the operated side. You'll know right away if it's not comfortable. At 2 1/2 weeks I was able to lie on that side, and I'm 3 1/2 weeks out now. It's not comfortable to me for more than a few minutes, but it feels good to move around. I do normally sleep on the operated side.

I also sleep with a big pillow that I rest the operated side on -- I kind of bend my leg in a frog position and rest it on the pillow or I put the big pillow under my ankle to raise the leg. I also have a pillow that goes between my legs.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom