THR THR #2 (7/21/14) a better recovery than THR #1 (4/22/13)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@cthipster I think I see the game and going to work as two pretty different things. It would be a very long outing in an unfamiliar setting, too many people moving about with no consideration to your situation at all, washroom difficulties, etc., etc. The only way I would consider an outing like that would be in a wheelchair where I felt somewhat protected. Maybe plan something else for the family that is easier to handle and not on top of an already very busy day. How about a really special BBQ on your deck or a nice dinner out somewhere with very comfy chairs. Not sure if you like seafood but a crab pot meal (made at home or out) is a great one for fun and conversation. I have had 5 kids leave home and every time I feel like my heart is being ripped out; I feel for you.

Work should be easier as it's predictable for the most part and everyone there is aware of your situation and knows not to rush past you, etc. Maybe wait up for your family tonight and make some crazy good sundaes while they tell you about the game :)
 
@beachgal and @Carriemay60, I didn't think to look into the wheelchair option. I don't have a wheelchair, so maybe it wasn't something I could have pulled off in a short amount of time.

Well, they are at the stadium and the game has started. I can watch it on tv, although I'm not big into football. I'm watching a recording of the last So You Think You Can Dance. :)
 
So sorry that you missed being with them but maybe it's for the best. I try not to second-guess things when it works out like your situation did. You're safe and they get to see the game so there's your silver lining.

Why not join me, @NoraJ, @muckingabout, for that glass of wine?? Hahaha


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @cthipster so sorry you missed going to the pro football game. Oh that would have been neat!
But, I think you did the right thing.....
I went to the Bristol Nascar races last weekend, and did fine. But, I have to say it was a drag to have to
stand up every time someone wanted to get by to go to the bathroom or whatever. So much standing on top of sitting.....in tight spaces. And, then we had rain to deal with at times on one day.
These sporting events are very long, and can be tiring. And, should we mention the beer? Ha!
 
Oh my gosh, I think I football game would be terrifying tons of walking, possibly on ramps or stairs, jostling drunks, uncomfortable seats, possible traffic jams. And the worst part-- you're stuck there. If you have to leave work, you can, but you're not going to have your whole family leave mid-game.
 
I have chime in and say I wouldn't be able for such an event. I wouldn't at 5 nearly six weeks or now at 13. I know my recovery is slow but still a football game is hard work. It's such a long night you would be exhausted and that would probably take from your last few days with your daughter. At least following on TV you'll be able to discuss it with them!

I think @Carriemay60 is right a game and work are very different. I'm sure if you really are very tired one day next week you could finish a little early. It would have been very difficult to leave the game alone. I went to Dirty Dancing the musical.... (my friend and I reliving our teenage years) and despite being LG careful about tickets and parking ect I found it tough! People aren't always careful or mindful of giving you space in those settings.

Be kind to yourself. I know I don't have a partner or children but I can emphasise with the your own need to be there for them. You can only do so much. Think about how different other family gatherings will be in a few months and what you can plan for then!
 
@beachgal, @Carriemay60, @NoraJ, @muckingabout, @MajorHeidi,

I'm joining you for a drink, but in my case, a dos equis. It was the right decision not to go. They got home after 12:30 am in the morning, and I was in bed by 10 pm. When I shared my guilt at not being with my family, my co-worker said, on the contrary, I didn't go to the game, so I could be even more present with my family this weekend instead of being tired out. Said that way, he was absolutely right, and I ended up enjoying my evening, watching So You Think You Can Dance and reading my Outlander Series book #4, The Fiery Cross.

Well, today was a great day. I saw the OS, and he released me from all restrictions, so I bent over, touched my toes for the first time, and had a great stretch. I also went to the massage therapist, and she did some good body work, particularly on my legs. I decided today to forego the cane in all activities, and it was fine. So goodbye to the raised toilet, the pillow between my knees, the reacher, the cane and all other hip replacement things. I'm very happy!

I do have a foldable cane that has been with me always in my purse, so no worries. If I need it, I can use it.

Happy Friday to you all!
 
@muckingabout, just a couple weeks more, and you will. Ah, the simple pleasures. I sat on the floor today for the first time in 6 weeks, with my knees bent and the soles of my feet together. Before I got arthritis, my knees would be touching the ground in this position. Now they're up by my chest. Oh well!

I also put my shorts on without a reacher. Tomorrow I will actually shave my legs!!
 
@cthipster, I am so totally jealous!! Oh that my OS releases me 9/8 from restrictions. I don't think he will but I can dream. I want to touch my toes so badly and sit on the floor. And burn my elevated toilet seat.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal, I had my surgery on July 21, so you are right behind me. You're right in that I'm a few days before the official 6-week marker, as that's when I could get an appointment. Your just days away!

I hate the elevated toilet seat!! That sounds bad -- I'm grateful I had it. But still I can't wait not to feel like I'm splashing everything on the floor, because I'm so high above the water. I'm going to totally bleach the bathroom floor tomorrow.
 
Were you afraid to try to touch your toes? I quit using my reacher to put on my shorts a couple of weeks ago. I don't bend down to the floor but I know I'm breaking 90 degree restriction. No pain though and I'm careful. I just can't quite imagine touching the floor yet tho.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal, I wasn't afraid as it's very difficult to dislocate a hip with that kind of straightforward motion. I was wondering how far I could go though. Before the surgery, I could put my palms flat on the floor. Today, I can touch my knuckles on the ground but not my palms. Still, better than I thought.

My OS says the 90 degree restriction isn't that necessary, in his opinion. So I could see why you stopped using the reacher as soon as you thought it was safe. I've broken the restriction plenty of times in the last two weeks too. But the 90 degree thing is a good safeguard and a reminder not to do anything overly risky.
 
That great @cthipster! I still use the raised seat in my en suite... figure it's not upsetting anyone else... I've nearly forgotten the precautions at this point but I still don't cross my legs. I figure my muscles would not thank me for it.

Enjoy the time with your family. I hope your daughter is all set for her next adventure in college and that you are too!
 
Hi @cthipster - Glad you're doing so well. I can't wait to have no restrictions as well (esp raised toilet). Good luck to you and yours with the college journey, it's stressful and expensive but kinda fun, lol. All of mine are in college now and hubby and i say it's way too quiet in the house....but the pros of going out to dinner and movies alone are nice. Enjoy new phase in life and give kid space to be a little more independent (I still talk to mine every day or every other day, LOL).
 
@NoraJ, I just tried to cross the operated leg over the other one. It's going to take some time to do that. My only lifetime restrictions are no running and jumping, so I am allowed to cross my legs ... assuming the muscles in my legs get to that point!

@toohip, thank you. I'm three weeks ahead of you, but you will be there in no time flat. I'm excited for my eldest daughter, and no kidding on expensive! I doubt my daughter will talk to us or even text us at all while she's gone. Kind of a bummer, but it's easy to anticipate, given she doesn't really answer my texts now. My younger one will take more pity on me.

We booked our flights already to visit her on family weekend in November. Too bad she's so far away that we can't visit her as easily.

Elder daughter is driving to visit her boyfriend at college, which is four hours away. This is her first time driving alone out of town, so I'm learning to cross these new firsts. I also got her a hotel so she wouldn't drive home the same day in the dark. Still protective while I can be!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@cthipster Congrats on having your restrictions removed!! I also hate the raised toilet seat, mostly because it doesn't seem very clean with a great tunnel for the pee to travel through before it hits the bowl and the fact that my feet don't touch the floor. I do like the handles though :)

When I first broke my leg and had a zimmer from ankle to crotch I figured out how to change my own underwear and short toot sweet for privacy and independence. I call it "fishing". (my injured side is my right) I use my left hand to kind of fling the shorts over my right foot and kind of hook it on then pull them up getting my left foot in. It does probably now break my 90 degree restriction but not by much and doesn't hurt if I am careful. Wearing granny panties for comfort is one thing but having my husband put them on ME!!! No thanks!!
 
@Carriemay60, LOL. I was trying to teach my daughters the value of a dollar and bought a 6-pack of Haynes boy short-style underwear, while they bought individual panties. Well, I was wrong! The boy shorts are really baggy and are like men's tighty whities, except not tight. These are the underwear I've been using, and yes, it was embarrassing to me anyway, to have my husband help me. Oh well.

Went to the gym today and did 2.5 miles on the elliptical. It's great to be getting back to old routines.
 
@cthipster. .I gave the leg crossing a bit of a try out... I can do it! But while the hip isn't sore that back of my lower leg is. I have no idea what that is about! But at least I sit in a few different positions now. My PT recommended an ortho cushion for driving and my office chair so help my back. Its different to the one I've been using. Have you got a cushion for work? It's a lot of sitting once you go back full time....
 
@cthipster @NoraJ

When I went out with my son yesterday we took the automatic car as he doesn't drive standard yet. The seat is quite a bit lower so we used the memory foam (6"?) cushion from the wheelchair to make it easier for me. Wow! dead comfy in the car other than the seatbelt putting pressure on my hip/incision. I would recommend one of these style cushions to anyone and everyone! You do need something under your foot to compensate for the leg length so your leg isn't dangling or at least I do.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom