THR THR #2 (7/21/14) a better recovery than THR #1 (4/22/13)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@MajorHeidi, this girl is out of gas! I am beyond exhausted. But I am not experiencing any additional stiffness or anything like that, so I think it's just run of the mill exhaustion. In other words, no setbacks.

You can bet in a week and a half, I am going to sit on my butt and relax all weekend. I feel I deserve it! :)
 
@cthipster You are going to have be a spectator for the loading and unloading to avoid getting too tired and possibly having a meltdown! For goodness sake don't carry anything that could possibly put you in a position of not being able to see where your next step is taking you.

We were living in Shanghai when our youngest of the girls was coming back to Canada for University. We (except working hubby) came over for the summer, saw family and did all her shopping. I took her by myself up to the University, got her all unloaded, met her dorm mates and helped her get organized a bit before leaving. I reached the car as she was getting to know her mates a bit better. Almost an hour later they left the dorm to go explore campus to find me still in the parking lot crying my eyes out. The funny thing was that I was staying in a hotel in that city that night and had already arranged to take her for breakfast in the morning :) Moral of this story is: you will find it hard enough leaving her without being tired out, magnifying your emotions. Drive safe!!
 
@Carriemay60, thanks for the advice. I found myself tearing up this morning when my girls said goodbye, as the younger one had to go to school. Lizzy must still be at school saying goodbye to faculty, etc. We will be leaving in the hour.

@muckingabout, @NoraJ, @beachgal, @MajorHeidi, and Carrie May, I had an epiphany last night. In the past, when I'm working long hours or running around like I was light night, I would be in excruciating pain and would be gutting it out. This time, nothing. I think the gutting it out was worse in energy drain than this recovery from surgery. So I actually may be ahead of the game. Have you all noticed something like that?
 
@cthipster I think you are certainly ahead of the game!
I know I have to have the other hip done when it gets problematic, but the timing on that is unknown.
You are done and dusted with both! :SUNsmile:
 
@cthipster I saw Diamond Dallas Page of DDP Yoga today on a Fox Business segment.
That made me think again about this.
Do you do this?
I am supposed to do no running or jumping, and he says this avoids those and is joint friendly.
Are the dvd's worth it? thanks
 
@cthipster, I HAVE noticed that, while I'm tired now at night, it's not the beaten-down feeling of exhaustion I used to feel after doing my chores all day with a very sore hip! So, in a weird way, it's a good tired. I've been going to bed this week around 9:30 p.m. and literally passing out. I sleep all night long. The energy drain is getting better but I'm also limiting some of my activities each day so that I have a bit of energy left to do my PT. I tried doing 20 leg lifts last night and could only manage 17 which tells me that I've got to keep up my PT so I'm not digressing!
Hubby and I are going to the gym later this afternoon. It will be emotional for me since I've not been able to do anything there for so many months...I'm going to walk slowly on the treadmill since we are due for a horrible rainstorm and perhaps try the stationary bike. I've still not managed to find an indoor swimming pool for water therapy but I'm still searching. Gosh, I'd HATE to have to contract one for our backyard....:rotfl:
 
@MajorHeidi, yes, I am SO GLAD I am done with both. The second one gives me the full lease on life. I am waiting another week before I start the DDP, but I think it's completely worth it at $90 plus the cost of a heart rate monitor. It's completely non-impact, and you can be at any level of fitness.

@beachgal, how was the gym? I felt so happy the first time I was back, because it was actually since February, when the hip I had done started going downhill fast, and I couldn't work out.

We drove almost 9 hours today, so I had plenty of sitting time. Was a little stiff, but I think my daughter and I feel less stressed and relaxed. When I get stressed, I get frenetic and control-freaky. My daughter gets really lethargic and slow in physical movement. Now we're both in regular mode. I also got to see my parents tonight, as we stopped in my hometown for the night. It was great and makes me sad that I don't see them more often. Tomorrow, it's about 6 1/2 hours, so we'll have Saturday night and Sunday to go around Chicago. Lizzy's roommate moved in the dorm today, as she is an international student (South Korean who lives in Indonesia). Her mom is leaving tomorrow morning, and I imagine it's a bit scary to be left alone. We are going to get her and make sure she has everything for her room and also take her around with us to do things in Chicago. For the first time, I won't be worried about how much walking there will be. It's very exciting!
 
Enjoy Chicago. Nice to take your daughters roommate out for support and friendship!
 
@MajorHeidi, thank you. I'm looking forward to the next few days. I'm sure I'll be sad when I leave my daughter, but I feel more excited for her. College is a time of growth and freedom.
 
@cthipster Happy to hear you have tolerated the drive so far well! I hope today goes smoothly and safely as well. Great that you have had some opportunity to relax your mind and spirit, a chance to re-group is priceless. Enjoy your time in Chicago ~ giving your daughter and her roommate the chance to get their bearings will be very appreciated I am sure.
 
Hi @cthipster - Sounds like you are progressing wonderfully!! I am so happy for you that you are able to be there for your daughter during this special time in her life. Don't get stressed out and cherish this time together! All the Best!
 
@cthipster, you are rocking this trip! We love Chicago...the best pizza ever at Geno's and Nordstrom's on MM is simply amazing. You'l be too busy with the girls to have much free time of your own but I can see many trips there for visits that you can get in lots of trouble! :thumb:

The time at the gym was great! It's been since March for me as my work and hip pain kept me sidelined but I saw all the gym rats that I've missed these months. Now everyone wants to know about my OP! Hubby is proud that I've come this far and his friends there are teasing him about me finding a younger man now that I have this bionic hip...:heehee:
 
You gym people are making me jealous. I'm hoping to be unshackled at my 6 week visit on Thursday . The 90 degree restrictions get harder as you feel better. I already mentioned hopping into my car. This morning I crossed my legs at the ankle in bed before being fully awake.
 
@muckingabout, I hardly qualify for a jealousy nod because of gym activity! I look more like that old lady on the brochure than someone who's interested in working out! I'm starting to find my way around what meets restrictions and still feels comfortable on the machines. No weight- bearing stuff. Just easy moving. Still it's nice. OS gave me six more weeks with restrictions last Monday but I'm gradually finding my way to the floor.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@muckingabout, I'm breaking restrictions about every ten minutes except when I'm sleeping and woke up on my stomach this morning so I guess I'm doing it even then! I'm not touching the floor yet and I use the golfer's reach a lot but I can change water and feed Banjo, reach some items in bottom drawers and shelves, etc. I think I just gradually do a bit more as it feels comfortable. It doesn't hurt and I keep my knees to the outside. I'm such a rebel.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You know what's funny? I didn't bother looking up Golfer's Reach because I was doing just fine with my own method of reaching the floor that I've used for years that doesn't break restrictions. I always called it Drinkie Bird. I looked up Golfer's reach today and it's the same thing.

Also, I think I'm going to ditch my raised toilet tomorrow. I keep absent mindedly using one of the other bathrooms.
 
Oh and I just realized that I thought you meant you were getting down to sit or lay on the floor.
 
No, but that's next. I miss sitting or crawling around on the floor. Not sure why except I know I'm not supposed to do it. Haha


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom