Guest viewing is limited

THR THR #2 (7/21/14) a better recovery than THR #1 (4/22/13)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@beachgal @muckingabout and of course @cthipster since we have taken over your thread while you're away! :)

I am going to pass on getting onto the floor for a while yet. Having had a couple falls since I broke my leg (before I fell & broke my hip) I wound up sunny-side up in the front garden twice ~ I can only pray a neighbour does not have video of me trying to get myself up!! I feel un graceful enough getting from a sitting position to up & going on the walker. The only way I am hitting the floor anytime soon will be if I fall and I have no immediate plans!
 
@ Carriemay60, girl, you stay upright!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal, @muckingabout, @toohip, and @Carriemay60, I'm glad you continued talking on my thread. I could catch up on restriction-flaunting rebels, gym rats, gym rat wannabes, and anti-falling on the ground people (good idea, that!).

I can't tell you how great it's been having these two new hips to help my daughter cross this milestone. The drive out was fine -- I wasn't that stiff getting in and out of the car after the long car rides. We have been walking all around, shopping, etc. I walked almost 17,000 steps yesterday, which is over 6 miles. I would have been in so much pain before. I'm very happy that I can be fully present for my daughter. She is naturally very nervous, and the few extra days we took has been a godsend to transition her and us to this new reality.

Our move in time is in two hours, so wish us luck! I am also officially 8 weeks out today and have a new lease on life for sure. This is what we all wait for post-surgery, in whatever small ways it comes to us over time.
 
@cthipster That is a whole lot of walking! Very happy for you that it is causing you no after trouble. Really wonderful that you are able to enjoy this transition so much and really participate with your daughter.
 
@cthipster, you missed our "sex talk" on my thread! Be sure and get updated since we're telling you all about the gym and how to fall! Glad you were able to be with your daughter on this adventure! Sounds like it was amazing for you both!
 
Hi All,

She is moved in! Two pics for you. One of my daughter and husband along the shore of Lake Michigan. The university has a beach and beautiful pathways. Also, her completed room. She loves it. And I did not have any pain and thoroughly enjoyed moving her in.
[Bonesmart.org] THR #2 (7/21/14) a better recovery than THR #1 (4/22/13)
[Bonesmart.org] THR #2 (7/21/14) a better recovery than THR #1 (4/22/13)
 
Good for you!!! is this Loyola Univ (chicago)...I also am feeling pain-free for the most part...I just still need to train my brain that i no longer have the old worn out hip...it'll happen! Nice rug!! I think it got a little chilly in chicago already. My husband helped my daughter this year move in (8/25)...i was definitely not up for that...but anyway, both of them left her winter coats/jackets at home...she's upstate NY, so i'll probably mail them to her.

I know it's too late now...but I bought a pack of reusable plastic bags that you vacuum the air out (got them at BJ's) and they worked phenom for all their bedding, pillows, some clothes, etc...it saves a sh%tload of room in your car, van or truck. Also those laundry detergent pods are good for college also, this way they don't need to lug detergent around.

It'll probably be a little sad on the drive home...but just remember the great job you and hubby did getting her to this new stage in life!!!
 
What a great place to hang out along the lake. Our son's campus is along the Detroit River and he loves riding his bike along there, hanging out with friends, etc. Happy it went well for you without any soreness :)
 
@toohip and @Carriemay60, it's Northwestern University. A great place, and it's nice to have water, whether it's ocean, lake, or river.

We bought the laundry pods. While we didn't use the space bags, we had enough room in the car, as we rented a minivan. We will fly home tomorrow. I don't feel like crying ... we'll see when I say goodbye!
 
@cthipster - oh, Northwestern (my kid has a friend there, 3rd year engineering)...good school!! Have a good flight back and all the best!!
 
I am at the 9-week mark post-surgery. I feel I am through the gauntlet of recovery from the surgery -- hallelujah!

Moving in my daughter into college was great. Lots of walking and moving, which I feel both loosened and strengthened my leg muscles. I am walking normally more often than not, and any limp I had is getting to be undetectable. I am sleeping normally and not taking any pain meds. A big difference even from 10 days ago.

It's amazing how not living with pain every day frees up so much brain space and physical energy. I feel like I have a new lease on life.

I am going to start DDP Yoga and individual Pilates as my rehab. I have a fitbit, and my interim goal is to post 50K steps per week. I know 10K on a daily basis is the minimum gold standard, but I'm working my way up. It's not even physical limitation ... it's finding the time to exercise with work.

I am not as limber as I was, and I still have muscle weakness in the piriformis. All things to work on over time. I am in no rush.

I hope everyone is also experiencing forward movement in their recover!
 
@cthipster Your report is so awesome ~ I feels so happy for you! You are definitely over the worst now and as you say onto your new active life. I am sure the muscle toning and development will come with time and steady bits exercise and walking :)
 
@cthipster great report. Happy for all of your healing and progress. While I have not been active in your thread, you have a great amount of information hear and inspiring dialog for others to read. Thanks for helping to show others the way
 
@cthipster. .It sounds like you are doing brilliant. I feel I've hit the same point of recovery now at almost 17 weeks! This week I want to build up my stamina too... I'm so happy the trip with your daughter went so well.

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
@cthipster I am doing fine. See my OS on Tuesday but mostly looking forward to the Physiatrist mid October in hopes that they will delve into the whole picture to figure out why my leg is sooo slow to get with the program!
 
@Jaycey, I'm sure you will do great!

@Carriemay60, so glad you have a physiatrist you trust and who you feel can help you with your leg. You've been through A LOT. If I were your leg, I'd be taking my time too!

@NoraJ, I'm so glad you're feeling awesome. It's so good to get out from under the thumb of the surgery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom