THR THR #2 (7/21/14) a better recovery than THR #1 (4/22/13)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankfully I've a high crossover car. Not a car or a jeep so life is easy getting in and out. My cushion is staying with me...I will never give/lend it to anyone! The one physio recommended is neater and easier to carry..
 
@Carriemay60 and @NoraJ

Nora, cool that you can cross your legs! Funny how we have all these aches and pains. As soon as you get used to them, they go away...

I didn't use a cushion last time at work, so hopefully I will be ok. A lot of my job is out and about, so hopefully I won't be sitting too much. Many of us at work are getting those standing desks. Maybe I'll get one of those!
 
I'm writing to report in on my progress since I am at Week 6 of hip replacement #2, posterior approach. My legs lengths were the same before surgery. I was in okay shape, and my first hip replacement is stable and reliable. My doctor released me from all hip precautions a few days ago.

Work: My medical leave is over, and today was my first day of work. I made it from 7:30 am but was talking gibberish by 3 pm and so left. I was very tired, BUT I didn't go over the cliff. I got home, and my daughter and I went on a hunt for eyeglasses for three hours. She drove, so it was good. I will sleep well tonight. Tomorrow, I have a 7:30 am start, a 9 am phone call, a 10 am meeting, a lunch meeting 30 minutes drive from work, and a 4:30 pm meeting. This sounds like too much, right? I think I will go home after the lunch meeting and chill out until the 4:30 pm meeting.

Meds: I'm not taking anything regularly now. I have Tylenol, Advil, and prescription pain meds at my disposal, should I need them. I have twangs of pain (someone else described them as electric shocks), occasional shooting pains down my leg, and some knee and ankle discomfort (something is pulling on them). I did experience a snapping/clunking sensation in the hip, but it's gone away. Since I had similar aches/pains and snapping/clunking in the first hip replacement, I believe it's part of the healing process. It freaked me out the last time, but now, I just let them do their thing. They go away eventually.

Walking aids: I ditched the cane a few days ago and am fine. I wouldn't go on an extended walk without it, but I don't need it at work, home, or for errands. I have a portable cane in my purse just in case. I have a slight limp, but it's getting better.

Rehab: When the doctor released me from my precautions, I did a 20 minute yoga routine and 2.5 miles on the elliptical machine. This was too much. I was hobbling by the night, and I had a slight clicking sensation in the operated hip. I didn't do anything the next two days, and today, I am walking more smoothly than before. Something got shaken out with that exercise. That said, I'm going to be less ambitious until I'm a few more weeks out. I can walk on one day and do the yoga routine the next. No rush.

Swelling: I still have an extra 1/4 inch on my hips, but I am virtually back to normal.

State of Mind: Good.

Stamina: Getting better. Before my limit was 3 hours, and that was a hard stop. I would crash and burn after that, with nausea and once I almost fainted. This week, I can go for six hours before I start getting tired and no more crashing and burning.

So far, so good.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! @cthipster I just found your recovery thread and it could totally be my doppelgänger!! My left THR 2 years ago: GA left me nauseous and weak for 16 hours, then my red blood cell count was super low and I couldn't do any PT for 2.5 days. Spent the first week home just recovering from that and not able to do much but kick it. Fast forward to 8/15/14, right THR done before hip got terribly debilitated, got a spinal block, pre-emptive nausea meds, and lighter GA. Woke up refreshed and hungry! Now, 3 weeks in, I am using a single brace and even braving a cane of the day. Leg strengthening faster, left behind the "heavy" painkillers a few days ago. Congratulations, huge ones, on this time being better for you! For recognizing your own timeframe for goals and not pushing someone else's agenda on yourself (yeah, those people who are benchpressing their own weight from the hospital bed the day after surgery). :happydance: for you!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Go, @debkakes! I'm so glad you are having a better experience too and are doing so well. Thank you for reading my story.

For what it's worth, the biggest impediment to my smooth recovery on the first hip was me! It's funny, as I'm not that much farther ahead than I was on the first one, but the first felt like a battle. This feels more sane, and I haven't pulled any muscles, gotten depressed, berated myself, or compared myself to others. I've still overdone it a couple times, but I've corrected right away. Thank goodness we can always learn from our mistakes.
 
@cthipster Sounds like you are doing so much better :) I would definitely opt for a break tomorrow afternoon! Remember this is only Tuesday. I hope you sleep well and wake refreshed in the morning!
 
Thanks, @Carriemay60. I think I will do a stretching routine, take a nice bath, and go to bed early. How are you doing?
 
@cthipster Good plan! I am doing quite well, thank you for asking. I just did a big update on my thread a hour or so ago. Long chat with my PT today and feel I am in the right place. Still wish I could be a little closer to 'your place' though :) I think when I am finally able to drive and do my own errands & outings I will just spin in circles with giddiness! lol
 
Great report @cthipster. I really enjoy having a few of you pioneers leading the way a week or two before me. I'm going into the office for a couple of hours tomorrow to see how it goes.
 
@Carriemay60, I shall head on over to your thread. Glad to hear you are doing better! Recoveries make us so grateful for things we may have taken for granted, like walking, bending over, tying our own shoes, driving, dressing ourselves ... I hope I hold on to this gratitude and remember all my many blessings.

@muckingabout, glad you are feeling well enough to peek into work. Please don't go more than two hours, okay? The first time I went back to work, I went in for four hours, almost fainted, and it took me two days to recover. You are probably heartier than I, but no need to push it. This is the point where you can really enjoy being off of work!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@cthipster I should be okay because I'm able to work from home, so I won't have the same stress from feeling the need to be in the office as you did. (I'm a writer-- I can do that anywhere) Also, I'm only a mile and a half from home so easy commute.
 
Tomorrow, I have a 7:30 am start, a 9 am phone call, a 10 am meeting, a lunch meeting 30 minutes drive from work, and a 4:30 pm meeting. This sounds like too much, right?
Yes, this sounds like back to work full time - not a phased return. Remember that this stamina issue does build up. Don't ignore it. Taking a break in the middle of the day sounds like a good plan.
 
@cthipster I'm so glad day 1 went well for you and at least you can build in a few breaks in your day. Good luck for the rest of the week!
 
@Jaycey, you are right. A phased return wasn't part of my medical leave, but they know I'll not be working a normal (read 10-12 hour day) for the next few weeks. They understand the idea of setbacks, so I will just do what I can do and see how it goes. I went to bed early last night and feel good this morning.
 
@Jaycey, the best laid plans. I ended up working from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm, coming home and cooking dinner, and working some more. I'm tired but pain levels have not gone up, and I don't feel wrung out. Will this last is the question?

I will try to get out at 3 pm tomorrow, as Friday I am flat out until about 10 pm, as I have several events I am in charge of.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom