Guest viewing is limited

THR THR #2 (7/21/14) a better recovery than THR #1 (4/22/13)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@cthipster, LOL. My mom is a (retired) medical doctor, and her hours were pretty irregular since she would get called to the hospital at night and made rounds during the weekend. She was also very social and a very active volunteer in the Filipino community. She still goes out almost every night, and she's 80. So that was my example!
 
@Chipster I'm with @Carriemay60...I couldn't work the hours you do. I did a 12 hour day yesterday as an exception and was so tired after.

I'm so glad you feel so fabulous! Your self care had really paid off!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
@NoraJ, I am a fundraiser, so the crazy schedule goes with the job. I love meeting with donors and helping them meet their philanthropic goals, and I get a big kick of seeing what happens when donors get together and make things possible. It's very cool.

@NoraJ, 12 hours is a long day. I hope you got to rest!
 
@cthipster Well, you are doing well, always enjoy reading about your healing and you are inspiring to many with your progress. I am way overdue with responding to you a couple weeks ago. I am closing in on 10 weeks out and I feel I am doing quite well. Returning to more of a normal schedule and activities. Like you, I expect that work, domestic tasks and plain old life are mixing in with our recoveries now. I will post an update soon on my thread and will tag you when I do. I do not want to hijack your thread, but thanks for asking how I was doing these days. Enjoy your day and keep up your great recovery
 
@grnplatebrd, so glad you are doing well and look forward to reading your full update.

Bad news. My 80-year-old mom and dad were on a cruise, and the ship stopped for a day trip in Boston. My mom fell on the cobblestones and broke her hip. She was admitted to Mass General this evening and will go into surgery tomorrow (either pins, partial hip replacement, or full hip replacement). Me having hip surgery is one thing, her a whole different ball of wax due to age and physical condition. She refused pain meds and is only on Tylenol with the broken hip. Hard core. If you can, please pray that she makes it through the surgery without complications and gets a great result.

Good news At least I have all the stuff (walker, etc.), and I know the drill.
 
Your poor mum. I think it easier when it's elective and you can plan. And knowing as much about the medical world as she does can be difficult too. My mum was a senior nurse for years and I don't think she's the best patient. .. I hope the surgery goes well and both your parents are manage.

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Sending lots of good healing vibes to your mum @chipster...do hope all goes well for her x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@cthipster Oh boy! Sounds a little familiar to me but I sure wouldn't want to do it 30 years older! She is one tough nut not to be taking any pain meds. They had me on so much morphine during my 2 day wait for surgery that I hardly remember most of it. I do remember your mom is a doctor herself so she may prove to be a "challenging" patient for you :) I wound up with a partial because my socket was still in good shape but with her age they may go ahead and do the whole thing. Mine couldn't be pinned as apparently the ball was shattered into dozens of pieces. I will keep healing thoughts with you and your mom today and in her recovery to come. Keep us posted!
 
@cthipster - Sending prayers your way for your mom!!! Very stressful when the seniors go cruising and get on/off ships...my dad also took a fall and needed stitches, etc...no fun...and he was in Mexico at the time...thank goodness the cruise ship doctor can stictch!! Be thankful, she's in top US hospital getting the best care!!
 
@NoraJ, @muckingabout, @Hoppy Nanny, @Carriemay60, @toohip, Happy Halloween! I didn't have the bandwidth to respond earlier, but thank you for keeping my mom in your thoughts. She ended up having a total hip replacement, was/is a HORRIBLE patient, and is slowly progressing (despite herself). She broke her hip in Boston on October 9 and was in Mass General for six days, so I was there with my dad. Then we had her transported by ambulance to where I live in CT, and she's been in rehab for 16 days, a bit against her will as I knew I couldn't take her home being the irascible patient she is. She is being discharged this morning to my care and will stay at my house for the next few days. My dad and I are bracing ourselves, as she might be really bad today. I figured out that my mom doesn't transition well, so in those cases, she becomes really unpleasant. My brother will get her on Wednesday and drive my parents home over a two-day period. I can't imagine being in a car 8 hours each day, but there's really no choice in getting her home.

You know when the nurses say we could be on a reality show, and "your mom is ... interesting," that they won't forget her.

On another note, I am doing great. Pain free and back in heels after several years of not being able to wear them.
 
Hi @cthipster - Thank goodness she is doing well!! You were in my thoughts! I am so glad you're feeling good...you must be sooo stressed with all this. Was this her first cruise? if so, she'll probably never go on another...if she's done these before, odds are she'll go on another, LOL!!! Be sure your brother makes plenty of stops along the way, that's a long time to be in the car. She sounds like she's so upset that this happened to her and that's why she's so ornery...once, she's home, she'll feel and be better!!
 
@cthipster In heels? WooHoo!! So happy you popped in, I have been wondering about you and how your mom was doing. My mom is always referred to as "interesting" and a "strong determined woman for her age" which I do not take as a compliment knowing full well the hidden message, so I really feel your pain. I looked after my mother for 4 months after her back surgery when she was 80 and was very thankful that her doctor knew her well and was clear about how much I could give her safely in drugs that made her sleep plenty without killing her, LOL
 
@cthipster I have thinking about you all morning and really hope the homecoming goes smoothly for you :0 Will your dad have some help once they are at their home?
 
@toohip and @Carriemay60, thank you so much for your kind words. We got her to my house just fine, although my mom told the rehab she did not require any home PT (against their recommendation). Now she is here with my dad and refuses to get up. This was our fear. She really fought the nurses, PT, and OT every step of the way and refused all meds except Tylenol from the get go. At the end of the second week, she started cooperating with them (except on the pain meds), and she started making progress. If she just sits on the couch and we can't get her to move, I'm not sure how that's going to go...
 
Hi @cthipster I'm glad your mom is on the mend...I hope it continues once she settles in with you.

Good for you to be back on heels and pain free. .. I hope your daughter is settling into college. Not long now until you get to visit with her.

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
@chipster...oh my what a dilemma with your Mum....had to laugh (even though it's not really funny ) it sounded just like the comments I got from my Mums care home. They don't do theirselves any favours & think they can say & do what they like!
Hoping you get her into your brother's car on Wednesday too. But saying all that they are still a worry & I expect you worry about your Dad having to cope on his own.

So glad you are doing well & back in heels....how good does that feel!

Thinking of you...hope the next few days are not too stressful. Xxx

@Carriemay60.... Love your comment about your mum & the drugs...made me smile! Understand completely! Xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @cthipster I just read here about your mom, and that she is now with you , and being ornery after a hip replacement of her own. Oh my!
Somehow, she must get up and walk around to recover..... but, you know that.
I hope she helps you out with that.

Glad YOU are doing so well yourself. Bravo! Good for you!
All the best!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom