THR THR #2 (7/21/14) a better recovery than THR #1 (4/22/13)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@cthipster You are doing awesome! Glad your daughter's checkin went well....
Now with two hips, you are an inspiration!
my other hip is annoying me now. Waiting on my OS to advise of an appt to consider doing second
hip now..... Not that I want to, but it will happen at some point. Perhaps sooner is better?
 
@MajorHeidi, I can tell you I was glad I didn't wait. I dilly dallied on the first one, as I was scared. I was scared on the second one too, but was tired of living in pain and not getting the benefit of the first hip replacement. I pulled the trigger as soon as I could.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@MajorHeidi @cthipster I agree with Hipster completely. Before I fell and broke my right hip, it was the one I was trouble with due to rheumatoid arthritis and getting cortisone shots in. My left hasn't really bothered me much at all, so I guess if I had to break a hip, I broke the right one. However, if I was significant trouble in my left hip, I would not hesitate to make the appointment for surgery. As Hipster says why waste the benefits you have now gained by having your right one done? I was lucky that I did not have all the tension & stress leading up to surgery - just a two day wait on the break for the blood thinners I was on to wear off, so by the time they operated I was incredibly relieved to be finally headed to the OR. I appreciate all the stress and hesitation completely but try to think of the long term outcome of real freedom with two good hips.
 
That's good advice @cthipster and @Carriemay60 .
I am awaiting notice of getting an appointment scheduled. I am sure I will have to wait a while on that anyway.... OS's are in such demand these days....
 
I am at the ten-week post surgery mark. I finally took the foldable cane out of my purse, as I don't need it any more. A weight that I've been carrying since 2006 is now gone.

I realized that any surgery energy drain has been completely gone for the last two weeks. I'm back to hardcore work hours, and it hasn't phased me. Today I walked my first 4 mile circuit in at least 15 years, and it makes me so happy! It's so great to walk outside (not elliptical) and not worry about getting stuck somewhere far from home in excruciating pain. The metaphorical meaning is also not lost on me. I feel like a completely different person without the pain monkey taking up space in my brain and my psyche.

My weekly fitbit goal was 56K steps (I know I said 50K last Sunday, but the goal kind of creeped up). Well, I know I will have around 63K for the week. Yay! I also had my first individual Pilates lesson since the surgery, and my trainer said she would have never known I had a hip replacement if I hadn't told her. This makes me feel good.

This coming week I will go to a physical therapist to see what she says. I didn't do any physical therapy post-surgery, so I figure now is a good time to address any muscle weakness from both hip replacements. The hip adductors are piriformis are weak and tight, but other than that, everything else is working fine.

Here's to a great week for all of you!
 
@cthipster You have done so well in your recovery! I sense the time will come soon when you will almost forget you had this done. Keep enjoying the things you love :)
 
Thanks, @Carriemay60, and thanks for your always encouraging remarks. You are doing amazing given that big list of musculoskeletal challenges you've had since March.

I'll be looking forward to hearing your leg getting wider with renewed muscle mass and strength.
 
Great stuff there @cthipster !
Keep it slow on the upticks on the fitbit. I think I got too bold too quick.
Resting is helping a lot ... But will have to forego a martini to make up for it


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Great to hear your progress, @cthipster! I just passed 6 weeks, only use my cane on long walks, but am still ultra-aware of my gait and slight limp. Muscles are definitely still weak, adductors and quads especially. I am clear to start swimming laps as soon as I am able, so gonna head to the pool tomorrow to test that out. I am way far ahead of where I was with my LTHR at 6 weeks, so this is all very exciting. Your progress is an inspiration!
 
@MajorHeidi, I hear you. My goal is and average of 8,000 steps a day total, so the 4 mile walk is only something I can do once or twice a week at most. I walked 13,000 steps today, and I can tell it's a little much.

@debkakes, you are doing great! My weak muscles are abductors and external rotators -- it's interesting how we all compensate differently. Swimming sounds like a great addition. I don't know how to swim, so I stay away from water. :)
 
@cthipster 8000 was my goal , too... and then I got stupid...I have been resting now for 10 days and
gaining weight. ugh.
But, I think I am feeling better on the bursa pain front. I think ultimately I will go back to the 8000 and feel good when I do 10000+ and feel like an overachiever.....
Happy Saturday!
 
I'm almost 11 weeks out from LTHR surgery, and I can't believe where I am now from before. Two hip replacements have completely changed my life.

I walked my first 5-mile circuit today, and it felt very good. I have a fitbit, and my goal is 56K steps a week (average four miles a day cumulative steps). I am also going to try to get in one long walk, like the one I did today, once a week.

I went to the PT for an assessment, since I didn't use a physical therapist this time around. My external rotators, adductors, and piriformis are weak on both sides, but she gave me exercises to help with that, and I don't have to see her again. I am doing individual pilates with a trainer once a week to regain symmetry and balance.

My body is responding, and my legs and arms are getting toned. I haven't lost any weight, but I'm happy with my growing fitness level.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@cthipster That is a fabulous report.... I think you are doing everything right!
Your goals sound realistic yet challenging. :walking: And the pilates /toning sounds nice for you.
Well done!

I rested my bursitis for ten days, and today I took several walks and feel fine! Woohoo! I feel like I
am turning the page on the bursitis.
 
@MajorHeidi, so glad to hear your bursitis is gone or almost gone. Great job on scaling back and then slowly scaling back up.
 
I'm glad to hear you're doing so well @cthipster and so glad your bursitis is better, @MajorHeidi I'll be 9 weeks tomorrow and chugging right along. It was funny, twice this weekend I had moment of panic at a couple of things I needed to do that required a bit of walking. I forgot that's no problem post surgery.
 
@cthipster I had guessed that you are doing just great as we see less and less of you here because I know that means you are likely back to your crazy work schedule :) Your report certainly confirms that ~ well done! @MajorHeidi way to go on following the plan for rest and seeing some good results; I will certainly take note of your experience for when I reach the point of going for walks. Getting pretty chilly here already so not sure I will get any outdoor walks in this year by the time I get going.
 
@Carriemay60, yes, crazy work schedule, indeed. I had night events seven days straight, and an all day Saturday event. I also start work at 7:30 am, so coming home after 10 pm doesn't leave tons of time for other things. My schedule is lighter this week with only two night events, so it feels more relaxed. Two nights is my weekly average, so I can live with this. The other schedule was a little *too* insane, but I handled it a lot better than before the hip replacement. I wasn't exhausted and in tons of pain.

@muckingabout, isn't it awesome to have the revelation that you don't have to panic anymore? :)
 
@cthipster I don't think I could have done your schedule when I was 25! I think I was born a homebody and I start to decompose if I am out after dark :)
 
@cthipster I worked through lunch today. Not that I want to make a habit of it, but I used to pretty often pre surgery, but I've been heading home during lunch since I've been back
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom