THR THR #2 (7/21/14) a better recovery than THR #1 (4/22/13)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good, @muckingabout, I'm glad you took my advice to not go more than two hours. ;) How was it?

We are slammed at work, so I'm so glad I got in a full day. I don't want to push my luck though. I will have to find some way to rest tomorrow during the day.
 
@cthipster it was nice. I was fussed over a lot and everyone was glad to see me. My desk chair was perfectly comfortable without a cushion and it was nice to work on dual monitors instead of on this little laptop.
 
And I'm already taking bets on how long it takes me to move from my desk to the bed at our office next week. Ugh. Where is normal???


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm good, @cthipster! I just know that I won't make it through a full day to start! Yes, we have the back part of our office set up like a small apartment since we lived there for a while after Hurricane Katrina. We never moved any of the furnishings out-just opted to leave it as is and have been so glad we did many times. So, if I can't make it at my desk, I can lay down a while. Unless hubby beats me there! Haha


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal, maybe you can both lay down and take a nap. Sounds very restorative!
 
It's easier on both of us if one of us is sick to have them at the office during the day rather than home alone. Funny how it's worked out. Handy for naps too.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm writing to report in on my progress since I am at Week 7 of hip replacement #2, posterior approach. My legs lengths were the same before surgery. I was in okay shape, and my first hip replacement is stable and reliable. I was from all hip precautions at 6 weeks out.

Work: It's my second week back. I'm pretty much back to full-time, with some fatigue. I have a 14-hour day today, so we'll see how that goes!

Meds: I'm not taking anything regularly now. I have muscle pain, particularly in my knee and ankle, which I hope my kinesiologist can fix (I have an appt. tomorrow). The hip is pain-free.

Walking aids: None.

Rehab: I'm pretty much just walking or doing the elliptical. I plan to wait until I'm two months out to really start with pilates or other things I consider akin to PT.

Swelling: I am virtually back to normal.

State of Mind: Good.

Stamina: Getting better. I can go about 8 hours before I start feeling tired.

So far, so good.
 
Hi @cthipster , Sounds like you are doing and feeling great. Wow! a 14-hour day today sounds tiring...i can't imagine at this point in my recovery running around all day. I get tired after making and cleaning up from dinner and it's just husband and I. Hope all went well with the college move-in! It's great to hear that everything is going so well in your recovery! Have you been back to your OS for follow-up...do you go to HSS or is dr. in a satellite office near you? I am starting my out-patient therapy this week (friday)...we'll see how that goes. I am still moving slowly and need to build up my muscles in my operated side, but all in all doing pretty good.
Take care!!
 
I cannot imagine working such a long day ~ Wow! I hope you find some opportunities to shut your mind and body off throughout the day. You are doing so well!
 
Oh yeah I don't think I could manage a 14 hour day regularly in the best of health. I hope you are ok!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Sounds like you're making great progress. My 6 week visit is next week and I'm hoping to be released from restrictions. It's getting harder to remember them as I feel better. I just hopped in my car like a normal person this morning and didn't realize it until I was in.

Hope you're taking some time to be kind to yourself after those 14 hour days.
 
@toohip, @Carriemay60, @NoraJ, and @muckingabout,

Thank you so much for being such a supportive group of virtual friends. I really appreciate you!!

Whew, the 14 1/2 hour day yesterday was a marathon, and then I had insomnia last night, waking up at 2:24 am and fretting the rest of the night away. At least I got some good thinking done.

I have a pretty packed day today and then off to the kinesiologist to deal with my knee and ankle pain, as well as to check the new hip and start breaking down any scar tissue. After that, I have to hit Walmart, etc., as we are leaving on Friday to take my daughter to college, and there is a LOT that needs to be done. I should be home by 7 pm.

@toohip, you are doing great. You are a few weeks behind me, and pretty soon, you'll notice a big difference. I saw my HSS doc at a satellite office here in CT.

@muckingabout, sounds like you are ready to launch and don't need the restrictions much longer. How nice that you could get in the car without thinking about it. Your doctor will officially release you in a few days. YAY!

I'm not sure I would choose to be working this schedule, but work and personal life being what they are, I don't have much of a choice. That said, other than being a little overtired, I think my stamina is about back to normal. Not quite, but almost there. My pain levels didn't go up yesterday, which is a good sign. My brain power has come back too. Last week, my first week back at work, I would get tired and couldn't speak coherently! The body is an amazing thing.
 
@cthipster, I want some of what you're having...I'm only four days behind you, surgery date, but my energy level is nowhere near where yours is...I keep pushing a bit every day but no way I could handle a 14-hr day...
Send me some of your energy!!
 
@beachgal, thank goodness you don't have to handle a long day. Who wants to do that?

I went to the kinesiologist after work, and he fixed my muscle dysfunction and used Graston technique on the scar tissue by the incision. I got home, walked a couple miles, and am now working to get my daughter organized to leave on Friday for school. Thankfully, my mother-in-law has come and she will take my daughter to do her final shopping tomorrow while I'm at work.

Another long day today, but slowly things are getting done. I'm thankful for that.
 
Wow @cthipster you really do have full days!
I will look into the Graston technique as my scar area is still a bit hard.
Good luck on the college return day. Don't lift too many boxes!
 
@cthipster You are really off & running now but I am very happy not to have your schedule even when I am healthy & fit. My graveyard rotations are enough to knock me flat! I loved college (dorm & clothes) shopping with my kids ~ such a blast! I did not however like the book buying at all especially when some are never used in the class.

I hope your scar tissue finds relief on a continuous basis. I agree on the brain dysfunction, so nice to be thinking clearly and without taking minutes to think of a simple reply, lol
 
@cthipster. .. best wishes for the weekend and the marathon drive. I hope you won't find it too difficult physically and emotionally. It's great you have family support to help you daughter. I think you also need a holiday now...to recover from your recovery!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
@MajorHeidi, @NoraJ, and @Carriemay60, thanks for your encouragement. Yet another marathon day today, as I won't be back to work until next Wednesday. I was jamming there and then trying to get my daughter packed. We were supposed to pack the car tonight, but she's really dragging her feet. She just started packing her clothes and still has laundry to do. I organized everything else, washed the new sheets and towels, etc., etc.

The rental car will be very full!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom