TKR This Teacher's TKR Recovery Journey

Day 35

Well, it's 5 weeks today. Still using the walker. I was hoping to transition to the cane, but that may not happen this week due to setback from a fill-in PT last week. Only 5 more weeks until I go back to work. Really hoping to not have to use any assistive devices. Kinda promised my kiddos that I would be back without them next school year.

Tonight I do get a chance to go out. Hubby has work related dinner at a restaurant. I am resting all day with knee elevated so I don't get too much pain later or tomorrow for it. Going to try to situate myself were I gan prop leg on chair tonight.
 
Kinda promised my kiddos that I would be back without them next school year.
I know how you feel, I promised my niece I would ski with her after my Primary TKR didn't work out, then revision, she asked about the promise, and I had to tell her I was sorry but I would not be able to ski with her. She understood, I am sure you kiddos will too.
 
Using a cane just takes some pressure off that TKR and may help you with balance issues as well. I still have mine for when my "other" knee acts up. The kids loved to hand it to me when it fell and search when I couldn't find it around the classroom. Going back at 9 weeks will be tiring, you may not be 100% at the beginning of the year, but then the kids get to see your progress and perseverance first hand.
 
Day 36

Still gimping along. Went out to dinner/trivia night last night with the hubby. Even was able to drive short distance. Still having times where it feels like knee tries to buckle on occasion. Guess it's still the walker for now.
 
Guess it's still the walker for now.

So glad you're playing it safe Kazilla! There are a few here that have fallen in their early recovery days and sadly it set them back considerably. We need to do whatever necessary to protect our baby knees!
 
I'm still mostly using my walker, too. I am so very afraid of falling. I fell a lot before this surgery and want to be extra careful not to now. We need to just take each step slow and easy and watching where our feet are going. I've had to watch my feet for 20+ years and yet a moment of not paying attention would leave me on the floor or ground!
 
For encouragement: I do stand amazed when I do try steps, etc. the normal way that my knees work pretty darn good. I still don't trust that they work fully but they do! I have to relearn how to walk, go down steps, etc the "normal" way. That is what you have to look forward to! I'm 9 weeks into the new knees!
 
Day 37

Still a bit painful behind right side of knee. Still some swelling. I feel like progress has stagnated this last week. Ever since that temp PT set me back. I have PT tomorrow.
 
Take it easy at PT and if it's the temp I would not let them touch me. There are some stops and starts on this road to recovery. You'll get there.
 
It's a roller coaster ride, with ups and downs. Patience is a virtue where a TKR is concerned and you can never have enough. I hope you're feeling less pain soon.
 
Day 40
Progress seems moving at a snail's pace. On Friday PT had me lay on stomach with my knee/leg off bed to stretch it out. She massaged my hamstring. All I can say is OUCH. It felt better after, but during...oye vey.

Today I did the hanging off the bed, and 5 min felt like an eternity!!

I think this week I'm going to email and request a meeting with our new principal as we have had a change of admin at school.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Day to day progress definitely feels like it's moving slowly and some days not at all. But hopefully of you look back to a couple of weeks ago or even last week, you see progress. The slow recovery from this is so hard but keep looking forward.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Kazilla I can relate, I work in a medical billing office and supposed to go back July 25th, which is exactly 6 weeks after tkr, sitting here today I don't see it happening, I would need a miracle. I wish I could have waited until I retired to have it done, there was no way I could have lived with that pain any longer.
 
I have given myself 10 weeks. Am hoping it's enough to go back without too much pain or backtracking my progress
 
That'll put you around 9 weeks? The thing is, you can do nothing to build stamina, I tried. @newlybionic has gone back to working 10 hour days and she's on her feet all day, with teaching you can (I did) schedule sitting down time, but not necessarily elevating. The stamina issue and elevating were the two things I noticed about returning to school.

My admin was happy to have me back half days. I was very fortunate.
 
I think for me it all depends on what they have me doing. If I can limit the walking across the school, especially the first semester I think it will be ok. I am starting the pool next week. My husband's schedule was not conducive for going to that gym. It's almost a half hour away. Our branch close to home doesn't have the pool. I have started driving but only right by house to go to grocery store ( and get my truck washed...l love him, but he hasn't cleaned my truck inside or out in a month... LOL)
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom