TKR This Teacher's TKR Recovery Journey

@Kazilla, Congrats on walking up steps! I went to my first out patient OT, and they taught me to put pressure on the area between my big toe and second toe, and then between the little toe and fourth, toe, with the third pressure area being the heel, to form a "tripod". Oddly, this really helped to focus on when taking reciprocal steps up. I like these kind of hints.

Sounds like you are doing great back to work. Special education is extra difficult. I am asked to work with more and more behavior kids which takes a lot out of me! Best wishes!
 
Day 86

Well... My schedule was not conducive to getting pool time due to a faculty meeting Tuesday and open house tonight. Then tomorrow is PT. I realized this is not the week for it.

For swimming, I have a leg block so I can work my arms. I know I have to build up more strength to start doing kicks. I also plan to walk in pool. Forward, backward, and side step. Also, some half squats (like chair sitting that I do at therapy). I've done knee rehab in pool with previous knee surgery, so I know to take it slow. so but this Florida girl has been outta the water for 16 months. That's way too long. :swim:.

Gains this week: I find myself walking around class, and to bathroom or office without cane. I'm situated right between both. I also walked into Walmart using the cane and basket for support, and grabbed a couple of items. It seems the more I'm using it, the stronger it is getting, but it comes with side effect of swelling. Just working on finding the balance between the walking and swelling. :walking:
 
Yes, finding the balance is elusive, but you'll get there. Youre going to be plenty busy with teaching, Open House etc. But I know how you feel about the water. I love swimming, just today I got my first 20 laps in. I've been doing 15-17, but got to 20 today because the pool wasn't crowded.
 
@KarriB, 20 laps, wow! The most I ever got up to before my surgery was only 8. Now, I'm so looking forward to 1!
@Kazilla, I hear you! 16 months is a very long time to be away from the water. But, you already know what to do once you get in there, and you'll have a great time! I haven't gotten up the courage to try it yet. I'll have to have a friend ride and go with me in the pool in case I can't get out!
 
@sistersinhim I do swim as if it's my job, especially now that I don't have a job. I'm not fast, it took me nearly an hour, but I can bike 5 miles in a half hour!
 
Day 87

PT day, after open house last night. But my progress continues. My therapist didn't see me last week. She had to leave early. So she was very surprised. I did the 6" step, but she hadn't realized and thought it was the 4". The intern told her and her eyes flew open.

I asked about pool. She agreed with me about walking forward, backward, sidestep. She said I could do flutter kick, but any other for a few more weeks till its stronger.

The best part.... She wants me to completely drop the cane. I have already pretty much. Even walked in today carrying it instead of using it. She is writing up my progress report for doctor for my appointment this coming Thursday. Its crazy, its been 16 months since I've been able to walk without some aid. Feels very strange. But in a good way.
:walking:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you! My OS said the same thing about kicks, only flutter, no whip kicks. Have a restful weekend!
 
Day 89

Ugh.... Bad rain here today. Just aching. Got a movie and my grading to keep me company. Taking home Friday grading is the small price for leaving early on that day for PT. Hubby and one son working , other is at the movies today, so its just me and the two furry birthday boys. (one is 13, the other is 4)

My next follow up with doc is Thursday afternoon.
 
Day 92
Have made it to gym twice this week. 15 min on recumbent bike and some core work. Feels great to start doing normal things again. No cane since Monday. I have doc tomorrow.

:upright:
 
Yes, isn't it lovely! I'm glad you have the energy to go to the gym after school. Even without the TKR I was beat the first few weeks of school, of course the heat added to my exhaustion. My room had no AC.
 
You had to where those things for a long time. I know you're glad you're free of them!
 
Day 94

What a day today. Leg was more tired without the compression stocking. No motrin today. Time for sleep.. :sleep:
 
I felt much more comfortable with the support stocking on, for quite a long time. Of course it wasn't the heart of summer. If they prevent leg fatigue, I'd say wear it. Eventually I didn't need it and stopped.
 
Day 97
I have gone back to using compression stocking. It is definitely better with it. Was able to go to store over the weekend and didn't ride in cart. :yay:

Hitting the gym twice a week now. 15 minutes on recumbent bike, and 15 minutes of core/upper body strength.
 
Day 110

Closing in on 4 months. I'm finally getting around stores and at work without any assistive device. I got in pool for first time in over 16 months. I was a little sore and tired next day, but felt good to do something normal. The knee still swells, but I try not to make it angry. Finally feeling stronger in that knee a little. Definitely better than pre surgery.
:yes!:
 
It sounds like you are doing great and able to do normal activities, celebrate your victories!!!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom