TKR This Teacher's TKR Recovery Journey

Day 77 (11 weeks! )

Yesterday was 1st day with kiddos. I was a crazy person, and hardly got to elevate. Paid for it last night. But hubby made me dinner in bed (we will ignore what kitchen looked like when I went downstairs this morning :heehee:. ) Stayed off it completely once home and ice/elevate.

Today I elevated a bit more at school and it made a huge difference. Hubby again was off, but today it was BK for dinner. I also arrived home same time as UPS guy. With my new stools for my classroom so I can sit up front and see all those kiddos.

My plan... Come home and ice/elevate for time being.
 
:yawn: That's a good plan, you really are too tired and swollen to do anything but ice and elevate. At least you can check papers etc. while doing that. If you have energy make a casserole over the weekend so you can just toss it in the oven. I went through quite a few drive thrus, but this summer I realized McDonald's has a pretty good south west grilled chicken salad.
 
Kazilla,
A little jealous that you had your first day of school with your kids. I'm really missing the craziness and excitement of a new year. I won't meet my new class till after Thanksgiving!! I hope you have a great year! I will make sure to follow you so I can get some pointers when I do return to work.
Makes me wish I had done both my knees at the same time. As it is I will have missed a few months from two school years because I had the right one done in February and my left just 4 weeks ago. It's been a long haul. 8 months of nursing two knees after TKR is NOT fun. Sorry for the pity party!


11 July, 2016 LTKR
29 February, 2016 RTKR
 
I went back to mornings only, then phased to full time 6 weeks later. I was tired, but the TKR was alright. Are you in a lot of pain?
 
I hope your gel wraps get frozen before bedtime! I bet you'll have a pair in the freezer from now on! I pray your next work week is better on you. I can't imagine have two hurt at the same time.
 
Day 81

My two stools came in so I am able to be 'above' them but still sitting. I elevate between periods, and sometimes start just before period ends. I keep it up and iced at lunch, and during my planning. It seems to be helping. I have the kids calling me out if, when I'm walking, I start to limp and favor my left.

Its paying off. Marked improvement from last week to this in PT. Even able to start working with the 6 inch block now. Previous, I was at a 4 inch.

Today, I'm elevating, grading, planning and watching movies
 
You're wise to take it easy and stay off your knee for the weekend. After months of icing/elevating you never thought you'd look forward to doing it again on the weekend! :ice:
 
Day 82

Keeping off it mostly. Today I have one excursion. One of my former students from FL got a job up here and now lives 10 min away, with his fiancé and baby on the way. He graduated a few years back, so it will be nice to reconnect. Their families are still in FL and they have no family here. My son is going with me and he will be dropping me right in front of restaurant.
Afterwards, its home and "ice, ice baby"
:happyfeet:
 
Ice is our best friend... It sounds like you are doing well.

Enjoy your visit and have a great Sunday !!!
 
@Kazilla, I've enjoyed reading your thread and your ideas will help me with return to work! I also work in schools (I'm an OT). I have a freezer in one of my therapy rooms (it's set up like a rehab center so kids can learn to cook so have a little kitchen) and will load it with ice packs. My second location is a head start-early learning center and they have a freezer in that facility, too, so I should be okay. I plan on going back to work at 11 weeks post-op, and will be 5 weeks post-op tomorrow so can't even imagine doing what you are doing! Best wishes with your class, reading your posts are helping me with feeling a teensy bit enthusiastic about going back to work. : )
 
@LaylaHips I went back for teacher planning week at 10 weeks, and began teaching at 11 weeks. The 7 weeks difference you and I have is HUGE. There is such a difference from where I was a 5 weeks. Like night and day difference.
Today I can drive, cook, walk in my yard (where its level), and walk in my classroom. At 5 weeks I was still on pain med, using a walker, and at mercy of my men for my meals.

Then....
At PT on Friday they had me work on 6 inch block in prep for stairs. Told her I'd practice on my stairs near bottom where I have handrail on both sides. And.... Omg, I could do it. I climbed 5 stairs normally!!!! With almost no pain!!! :happydance::dancy:
 
Stairs are one of the last things to conquer. Good job!
 
It was only 5, but that's 5 more than I could a week ago.

One difference today. I wore my pre surgery neoprene brace. The compression sock was drying, and didn't want to go out with nothing. Actually felt more stable with that. Weird, or has anyone else experienced that.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Day 84 (12 weeks)

A bit tired and swollen today. Derailed my plans to try to swim. Came home and elevated and did paperwork. Hoping for tomorrow.
 
Can't imagine swimming and teaching in the same day at 3 months. Are you just going to water walk? I went back to swimming laps in June after my TKR in October and infection through December. It took me weeks to work up to 15-20 laps a day. I was pooped at 3 laps my first swim. I'm glad you decided to elevate ice and rest though.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom