TKR This Teacher's TKR Recovery Journey

I have a friend with a pool and when I go I only do some simple knee lifts and walk around-don't try to really swim. I hang onto a float and just hang out mostly! The big challenge is getting out of the pool on that last step out without a handrail!
 
I've not been able to do the steps at the pool at the Y. They have a ramp, thank goodness. I think I'll have at least another month or two before I try and swim. I see my OS in August. I'll ask him what he thinks. I just don't want to gain any weight before I can get active!
 
I used to do bridge, plank, even push ups with my feet on big exercise ball. After a year and a half away from gym due to this knee, I will be starting from zero again. I can use my stationary spin bike...well, sort of. 5 min twice a day. She wants me to try to get it loosened up a little.

@sistersinhim ughh...I have been sore for awhile since. Hoping the pain means it's working.
 
Do you think they'll have a schedule for you when you meet with the new admin? I just found out they painted our classrooms which means the maintenance people took everything off the higher section of the walls. If I hadn't retired I'd be going in, climbing ladders to hang things again. :bignono:
 
Yes. They will have it. We are three weeks from teachers reporting back.

Plus, they painted last summer so I'm clear on that front.
 
When you go in to prep the room take someone with you. I thought I was ok and nothing major needed done, but I was sitting at my desk chair, leaned over and the chair on wheels went right out from under me! I was on the floor behind my desk! On one hand I was so happy no one saw me but on the other hand it was quite difficult getting up with a chair on top of me in a small space! Yes you can laugh now!
 
How I feel while waiting for knee to heal. :rotfl:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] This Teacher's TKR Recovery Journey
    received_10154038725889823.jpeg
    21.6 KB · Views: 155
Day 48

Well new tactic today from PT. Using heat to get that muscle ,that is giving me angst, to relax. Ice hasn't helped, so trying this. Also, began using step, but she used a smaller step than the stupid fill-in did. Will update soon to report if heat helps.
 
Day 49...7 weeks...time goes quickly (sometimes)

Me with my admin. They were GREAT with my schedule. 3 blocks (90 min each), and 45 min intervention class. Then leaving me with 4th block (last period) planning. So I can leave early for therapy. She had already worked it out for all year that way. Can we say I'm a happy camper!! Plus, I'm staying in my own room which is three doors in from main entrance.

:happydance::wowspring::roseshwr:
 
Wow! That's great! I wouldn't think about therapy until you're into a groove with school and have some energy back. Just going back to work is therapy.
 
That is soon! August 4th I have to return for meetings. I have been going in for a few hours at a time trying to get organized; going through paper files purging! I left at the end of April to have my knee surgery so my classroom was not packed up very well at the end of the school year but it's coming together.
 
I don't know if I feel jealous or relieved hearing the above! This will be my first August/September without a classroom or students to prepare for.
 
Day 53

Went to see doc yesterday. First visit since my 2 week follow up. I finally got to see my new hardware. He was very pleased with my progress, as I'm further along than he anticipated. Almost full range of motion now 0°/139°. Still some swelling, and one small area of tenderness (a tendon in back of knee which he said is common, but stretches over time and corrects without problems)

So now pretty much using cane for short walks, crutch for longer ones, and beginning to walk unaided in the house a bit now.

Plus side for the men in this house (and for the sake of my kitchen and my sanity) I have begun regularly cooking meals again. :heehee:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom