TKR Thesoutherncook's Second Time Around!

Aw Helen, I'm so sorry to hear about that super painful day and I hope you can avoid another! The first two weeks are a *bear*, regardless of where or how your surgery was performed....there's really no avoiding it; pffft! The good news is, you've almost finished dreadful Week One; whoohoo! I found my heavily medicated, icy days passed quite quickly and I wish the same for you.

How nice to have your daughter come and provide your husband with some respite and you with some lovely, female company! While she's there, have her look under your bed for the shiny, red box labeled "Patience." Your extra doses are in there and they'll be needed. :SUNsmile:
 
Question about TEDS over staples.... I put a loose piece of gauze between TEDS and staples but still feels like spikes in my leg! I didn't wear TEDS the first time around, so any advice is appreciated!
 
Yay! Napping was the best thing about TKR recovery!
 
Aw Helen, I also had TEDS and staples and basically, it's just an awful combo; pffft! Periodically, I'd roll the blasted TEDS down in the hope of some relief, but it didn't really make much difference. The staples are just super annoying and you'll be ecstatic on the day they are pulled! Something to look forward to, right?
 
I was blessed to not have had to wear them. I think if you're active, you don't need them.
 
My dad swears by them and I couldn't stand them. Do what's best for you, Helen.
 
Tee Hee, I wore the TEDS to PT today to make them happy. :heehee: Then came home and took them off!
My naps yesterday seemed to help me turn that first week corner. I've felt better today and knee has moved better. Slow and easy....as I reminded the PT today! I also slept well last night - 2/4 hr blocks! Napped this am again and resting this afternoon while DH was on a grocery errand!
 
Sounds great, Helen. You've got this !


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm wondering about TEDS myself. I could never find any that really fit me well. I always ended up having soft ball size swellings on my legs that really did hurt. I agree Helen do what feels best for you. You're recovering so wonderfully.
 
What good sleep you're getting! That is great! You heal so much better when you're asleep, so you're getting some good healing going on there!
 
Helen, great job on getting in some quality zzzz's! Beauty rest really does make a difference in outlook and recovery! My leg was so swollen, the TEDS actually created an enormous bruise on my TKR leg, so I had to cut it t off at the end of week one....never looked back.:SUNsmile:
 
Wow, read your whole thread and admire how you are getting along. I was amazed what a week did for pain. Much less than first couple of days. Ice and elevate as much as you can. I slept in a recliner for most of the 1st 2 months.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I knew better. I have REFLUX and narcotics aggravate it. After a week of demerol and increased stomach pain, I dropped down to 5 mg Oxycodone yesterday. OS insisted I could take this although past experience included naseau and vomiting, so he gave me Zofran. Yesterday went fine. However, I woke up this am sick and disoriented! Good heavens! I've had nothing for pain since 3:30 am. Now, my stomach is burning and I have chills and have hardly eaten all day! I knew better. You can't just STOP taking pain meds! But, what do I do now??? Go back on small dose spread out then come back off?? Or stay the course and dont take any more?? I have very minimal knee pain.
Help @Celle !

Why do OS not tell you these things????
 
Oh no, do you think you are having withdrawals or your reaction from the pain meds themselves? I found that taking anti-motion pills and the Zofran that my tummy could tolerate the Oxy. Could you get someone to run to the store for you to try them. The generic aren't expensive at all and it's worth a try.
 
Back
Top Bottom