TKR Thesoutherncook's Second Time Around!

Is the nausea from the pain meds or the reflux? Zofran will work for pain med nausea but I don't know about reflux. Can you take tramadol?
 
@KarriB The naseau is from pain meds. Reflux is raging, too. I have meds for it, but not sure how they interact with pain meds. I thought stopping the oxy amd demerol would help reflux but forgot about coming off gradually.
I'm taking 1/2 of a 5 mg oxy tonite and will space them out tomorrow. Ugh!

Tramadol makes me throw up!
 
Oh Helen, this is the pits! Did you put a call in to your surgeon's office? Perhaps your pharmacist could advise you? I hope someone with the right answers comes along quickly here. :groan:
 
Then the zofran while help with nausea from pain meds. Why don't you give your pharmacist a call tomorrow to check on the meds interacting? I bet they're ok, but the pharmacist can tell you.
 
After a restless night ( payback for bragging about those 4 hr blocks of sleep? :sorry:) the drugs and stomach seem to have settled down. I have halved the oxy and am spreading out the time between doses with tylenol as needed. PT yesterday afternoon was not aggressive, but probably contributed to the restless night. I remember those from #1. Why, at 3 am, does everything hurt? Feet, back, ankles, shins, thigh, ice rubs incision etc.... UGH! I think I'm at that point where I feel better and am ready for some normalcy to return, knowing full well it is weeks away! Guess I better check under the bed for that red box of patience......
 
I've noticed from many members here that often PT doesn't seem painful or difficult at the time, but at night is when the pain hits. If PT included anything with resistance bands, weights or squats that might be the culprit.
 
Helen, 3:00 A.M. was definitely "The Witching Hour," for me, regardless of how I medicated or spent my days. That was my cue to get out of bed, walk around the house a bit, get comfy in the recliner or on the sofa, and read. Usually, within an our or two, I was back to sleep, typically wherever I landed. I can't quite recall when I stopped having those broken nights, but I *think* it was around the Week 6 point. Of course, YMMV.

Like you, it wasn't just my knee that hurt, 'twas everything; pffft! I attributed that to gait abnormalities and also using a walker. I found walker use odious. As soon as I could, I switched to 2 crutches and found it helped my back considerably; no hunching over. Unfortunately, the feet still bother me a bit if I've been up too long, but I change shoes at that point and that also seems to help.

I'm glad to hear your stomach and reflux have settled down; phew! Your plan to halve the Oxy also sounds like a good idea. I'm sure you eat a little something before you take them, right? For me, it was just a few crackers and a smidgen of cheese that did the trick.

Hope today is a much brighter one for you!:SUNsmile:
 
Hopefully you can grab a nap or two today Helen. Since this is your second rodeo I know you know it will get better, but it sure is the pits at the moment. As you wean off the oxy, hopefully the stomach will get better. As for the sleep, well you know . . . . wishing for you a restful, less achy day today. :flwrysmile:
 
My GP urged me to drink copius amounts of water to combat that sour /firy feeling we now call reflux. He said it should always be the first thing to do. Of course that meant getting up to go a few times at night, but I rarely need the reflux tablets now. After eating spicy Indian or Indonesian dinners, I might still take one to fall asleep better.
 
Much better day! Isn't it amazing how one can be so crummy and the next sooooo much better? A couple of short naps helped, as did a gorgeous day with mild temps and gentle winds!

Thank you for all your suggestions. Yes, yes, yes! I take meds with protein - small piece of cheese or nuts or Kind bar. I drink so much water that my DH accuses me of being part camel. The pain has cooperated and the need for meds has been minimal today. My stomach has cooperated and I ate normal food today ( as opposed to "sick food" - bland and tasteless). Fingers crossed that sleep will come tonite. I hope the 3 am wake up will hold off. DH pops up like a jack in the box when I start to get out of bed, fearing I will fall. So, roaming the house is not an option for now. He will soon either relax or wear out and I can reposition to the recliner!

Thank you for being a compassionate, caring community. Have a good evening and good sleep!!
 
oh dear, i just got caught up on your thread. what an awful combination: reflux, pain, nausea and insomnia. i'm so glad to hear you're feeling better today. hang in there!:flwrysmile:
 
Too bad recliners are so noisy! I've told my husband that I'm likely to leave the bed around daylight because it just gets too uncomfortable. To avoid disturbing him any more than necessary I try to make sure I have all my gear, have gone to the bathroom, let the cat in/out before raising the footrest. My husband does so much, he really doesn't need to have his sleep broken at the crack of dawn.
 
Aw, Helen, I just caught up on your thread and was feeling so sorry for your suffering - I wasn't expecting such a quick happy ending. It is a coincidence because today I decided to quit taking Tramadol and that was a BIG mistake. If I had read your post earlier, I could have saved myself the agony.

When I'm awake in the middle of the night my mind goes to my BoneSmartie friends and I wonder who's asleep and who's wandering the house. Tonight I'll be sending positive thoughts your way, hoping that you're snoozing comfortably.
 
Hehe... your 3 a.m. is my 4 a.m. but probably many hours ahead of you!
Since I'm no longer taking meds before bed, turning around wakes me up so off to the loo I go to be repeated at around 5 or 6 before finally rising around 7. I still use the loop on my bedside table at that time to help me raise more silently and without groaning. (It's just a safer feeling)
Yeah we NewKneeNighters should form a group.
Hey! there's another T shirt sign !:rotfl:
 
Oh! WOW! 9 hours of blessed, restful, comfortable SLEEP with 2 quick trips to the bathroom and 2 Tylenol at 5 am! I took a Benedryl before bed, not sure if it gets the credit, but what a restful night! I was up at 3:30 am but went right back to my nest ( a bed pillow under each leg), snuggled down and snoozed peacefully! I hope I'm done with heavy duty pain meds... fingers crossed as I'm just shy of 2 wks.

@VW54 and @rubyyarn My daughter makes t-shirts, so that is totally doable!!
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom