TKR Thesoutherncook's Second Time Around!

Had first PT session this afternoon. Meas 101 and -114 ( is that right? ) .. not bad for 24 hrs after surgery! We did gentle stretching exercises and limited touching. I've gone to this guy for 10 yrs, so he knows not to push me!! Good day all in all!!
 
I'm glad it's all going so well, Helen.

Make sure you are well medicated on the day the nerve block wears off.
Your post-op reading list is at the beginning of this thread.
 
It sounds like you're doing well. I had outpatient TKR on June 27th and I had a nerve block too. I think mine wore off by the 3rd day. It kept me numb to my toes. Be sure to take your pain meds because that block is powerful and you don't want to be without them.
 
@Celle thanks for the reading list post!

Yes,to all who advised drugs for when the block wears off! I'm not afraid to use them! I know there are rough days ahead, but this too shall pass!

I feel sooooooo much better no having general anesthesia! My head is clear and I'm not in the foggy brain state.
It was hard to imagine that I would feel so much better. Very happy with this new dr and new protocol.

Behind my knee is angry and feels like after a Charlie horse.... ice for it also???
 
Back of my knee was painful too. The nurse told me that the nerve block only numbs the front. Isn't it great not to have the brain fog!
 
@Celle Thanks! That was my instinct. And it helped!

@jboles Oh, yes! Not being in a fog has made me feel way ahead of 2 yrs ago! But, when meal time comes, I'm out of it :heehee: so that DH has all kitchen duty!
 
@KarriB OS said 2 days... I suspect it has started wearing off as the pain level is increasing now. I'm taking pain meds every 4 hrs. I can't tolerate anything containing codeine, so am on demerol.

Nothing to do tomorrow but rest, ice, elevate and take meds!
 
Wow, what a great start Helen! Best wishes for a good sleep tonight and an uneventful recovery!:SUNsmile:
 
Sounds like you're off to a good start with a good med plan. Congrats on your new knee.
 
Another good night's sleep. Woke at 4:30am for potty and pain med then back to sleep until almost 8 am! I sleep on a large wedge pillow that helps reduce swelling and makes my back comfortable,too. I sleep with my heels on the edge, so no pressure behind knee.

No plans for today except shower, meds, ice, elevate and maybe a nap!

The last nerve block is wearing off gradually. OS has me on Gambapentin for nerve pain and Advil in addition to demerol ( I do not tolerate codeine well at all!). I'm also happy to report no bruising - yet!
 
Actually, those are great plans for today Helen! And tomorrow, and the next day, lol. You've got this knee gig covered in style!:heehee:
 
Helen, it sounds like your off to a great recovery start. Your attitude, knowledge and messages are very inspiring. I hope the dark days have many rays of sunshine for you!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom