TKR Thesoutherncook's Second Time Around!

Helen, I hope you're able to get your pain under control today. Ice and rest as much as possible. The first 2 weeks are the worst.

Oh Helen, bleah!!!! So sorry to hear about the pain. You will get on top of it soon and the best part is that you know the count down. May your ice be cold and the odds ever in your favor :loll:

Ouch, Helen! I'm hoping that something I just learned from my hospital PT might help you. She said there are two types of pain - surgical and inflammation. The inflammation type is worse at night because we're moving less. She suggested that I get up and move around a bit when that happens. I also remember from my last TKR that adding ibuprofen to my med regimen (with dr. approval) made a big difference. The fact that it helped confirms that it was inflammation bothering me.

I'm so sorry you're experiencing this bump in the road. Keep you eye on the prize: pain free mobility!

I must agree about the ibuprofen. I took some for my arthritic knee and found I needed less Percocet for my new knee.

yep. The ibuprofen really helps with the swelling, and the acetaminophen helps with the surgical pain - a one-two punch in the pain gut!

I hope you have been able to get ahead of the pain. Glad to hear your daughter is coming up. Seeing her could be the medicine you need. :yes:

I hope you're managing the pain better. I remember that week 2 was the worst. The meds prescribed were about half or at most 2/3 of thestrength I was getting during my 6 day stay at the clinic. I was so greatful that my GP agreed to prescribe Tramadol for me, so at least the nights were easier.

Pain is under control today. I have outpatient PT this afternoon. Since surgery was outpatient, I feel as though I should be farther along. Hard to realize it is only a week tomorrow. Slow and steady......

I'm thinking it doesn't matter much if your surgery was done outpatient, or if you stayed in the hospital/rehab for a week... that first couple weeks is going to play out the same. This is such a traumatic surgery for the joint and that trauma is the same no matter if they did it at home (which is probably coming). The good news, though, is you are nearly a full week in, so hang in there! Keep your pain under control and your outlook positive, and this first, hard part of recovery will soon be behind you.

Remember, Helen, the knee calls the shots. TKR is major surgery no matter the hospital stay or rehab facility. We've had a few out patient TKRs here and their recovery is similar to those who've stayed a few days in the hospital. You're right, slow and steady.

Jep, however many hours or days, in patient or out, your knee is the boss.
And that you know that and are rolling with that can only help you. You know the drill and before you know it, the first tough weeks will be behind you!

Since surgery was outpatient, I feel as though I should be farther along. Hard to realize it is only a week tomorrow. Slow and steady......
SusieShoes told you right. It doesn't matter where you had the surgery - it was still the same, traumatic surgery and it will still take the same amount of time to recover from.

Slow and steady is the right approach. Don't get persuaded into trying to do too much at PT, will you?

Thanks @Celle and @SusieShoes and @nensi ! I went to PT but flat refused to do much. The PT agreed and worked gently with my knee. It actually felt better when I got home. I've rested, elevated and iced all afternoon.
Reality checks every now and again are good for me! I'm not the most patient person. :bored:

Patience is so hard to come by with this recovery. I was one of the world's worst! Just look at the baby steps you're achieving and know that you are getting better every week!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom