TKR Thesoutherncook's Second Time Around!

Your day sounds perfect for a 1 day old knee! It sounds like you have your pain meds keeping you comfortable! We're here for you all hours of the day or night.
 
The pain freight train rolled in this afternoon! Take your breath away pain. Bring on the Demerol, ice and get out of my way while I elevate! Whew! I knew it was coming, and I know it will stop eventually.
 
Helen, Gabapentin was a part of my regimen 2x a day during the first month. I think it helped with muscle spasms and the nerve issues early on. Believe it or not, our 150 lb dog has to take 900 mg 2x per day! Nerve issue in her back. Sleep well!
 
I'm sorry you had to experience that ouchieness, Helen. I am keeping a list of pain relief strategies to run through when things start ramping up. So don't forget any of those strategies that work, including, wait for it...ice and elevation. But there are others, like distraction, a foot massage and even moving around just a bit. Let yourself love your "nest" and relax into the care of others. Here's to a great day for you!:flwrysmile:

Sara
 
Hope you get it under control quickly, Helen!
When my son had surgery at the beginning of the year we had a nightmare evening when his nerve block wore off 18 hours early. We did not have the proper prescription from discharge from the day clinic and I had to run around around 10 pm, first to the doctor on call and then to the drugstore on call, all 15-20 minute drives from my home in opposite directions, with his pain ramping up. Every traffic light turned red on me. And at last when I was almost home, the last red light stayed red for 5 minutes for a special transport of windmill parts!
His big sister earned her name that night (Gabriella), administering wet washclothes, funny stories, holding his hand, just hanging tough with him.
That was a tough lesson, but none of us will ever make such a mistake ever again.
 
(((Helen))) this will probably be your roughest day, but, you have a whole arsenal of helpful tools in your recovery box. Best of all, you know how to use them.:SUNsmile: Just hang on tight and we'll all be here with a hand to hold as need be!
 
Good to have someone helping out with the meds bookkeeping early days !


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm happy to hear you are staying ahead of the pain. You're doing everything just right so far. Skip PT if you still are experiencing pain. There's plenty of time for PT in the coming months.
 
Helen, retired accountant here, married to a financial planner, so spreadsheets ruled! And boy, did I need them; hah! Personally, I'd pass on PT today, but that's just me. I wouldn't have had the energy and needed my "Beauty Rest" more than anything. :SUNsmile:
 
You'll be fine to pass on that PT today.
 
PT passed me on that first day! Surgery on Tues., Home Wed., PT Thur - That is when i was trying to get more meds from the Dr. office. She came, she saw, took my vitals and left. :) I was in too much pain. I honestly think she reached out to my dr. office because I had been waiting and waiting for their call back.

Every day going forward will be better than this past day.
 
Went to PT today and did nothing but a very few very gentle stretches and he removed the bandage. It was good to get out of the house. A change of scenery can do wonders for the spirit! I'm pretty tired tonite.... it's been a full week!

My daughter is coming up from ATL tonite for the weekend. It will be nice to give DH a rest from caregiver duties. Amazing how quickly these men wear out!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad you didn't do too much at PT. Rest tonight. It's nice you'll have your daughter there to help out over the weekend.
 
It's going to be good to have your daughter there to help you and to give your husband a break. It sounds like you had a very good day. I'm glad PT was easy. Now, get lots of rest!
 
Just getting dressed wore me out! Enjoy having your daughter around for a few days!
 
Back
Top Bottom