Guest viewing is limited

THR The Widger has a new hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Widge422 - don't forget, you need to be pampering yourself. I find that standing in one place is the hardest thing to do (people stop by our house while I'm walking on the deck, then want to chat for a few minutes, and it's that standing around that's hard. If I'm walking, I'm ok. You definitely need to ice and elevate this evening. Time to start calling out the orders! :tantrum:
 
Blimey @Widge422, you don't do things by halves do you! You must be a proud Mum though. Make sure you take adequate painkillers as well as resting. Re icing - despite the Bonesmart mantras I haven't iced, just because I don't have any swelling or any particular sore spots that feel inflamed. But others swear by it, so there must be something in it...but if you hate it I can't imagine it making you feel better.


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Widge422 I think it's a natural to do to much- inevitable really. But that is when we sit up and listen to our bodies ( like you are doing) and REST. Back to the mantras!! Take care!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @bettifloss and thank you for being In touch. Have had one of those BAD days today :blackcloud:with loads of pain. Both grandkids here who cheer me up but they are wonderfully exhausting! I absolutely hate hobbling around like I'm 90 and don't want them to remember this horrid phase of my life. Hubby is great but when I break down in tears he just keeps telling me I've made the right decision to get on with it and will soon be a spring chicken again. Sometimes all you need is a hug. Had to cancel 2 outings this weekend as am simply too lame for a trip to London and would only end up in a much worse way for several days afterward. This disease does interfere with your life. I guess our grannies just had to accept it - poor things and lucky us - and how much do I love our NHS! :praying: Have another appointment on 28 Jan - when my initial private consultation turns to NHS and further X-Rays so things are moving. Maybe I'll hear about an Op date soon afterward then I can really start focussing. Your elevation tips sound good - considering what a new hippie you are I'm impressed with your progress. :wowspring: Hoping for more news from Gillywigs soon. Keep on :spin::happydance:
 
Oh gosh @Widge422 I'm exhausted just reading about what you did. Congratulations on your outing. I can't believe how much energy healing takes. Gives me a whole new reason to send people "healing energy" when they are sick or having troubles. We can all use some. Rest and ice when you can.

I had all the goodies for recovery, the raised potty with grab handles (the best thing in the world), walkers, canes, shower chair, even two wheelchairs because my 91 year old mom had everything before we put her in a nursing home. I stored everything in my basement in case any of my family might need something. Well, I was me first. Every aide helps a little bit. --julie
 
Just laughing, at you storing everything in your basement @Squirrellymom - I was not so clever. Had loads of aids and adaptations from both my Mum's house before she died and from my Auntie's house before she moved to a home, and gave them all away. But all is not lost - I asked Auntie's care home (which has loads of stuff in its basement) if I could borrow a wheeled trolley - great for shifting stuff around the kitchen - and a walker with a carry basket for the living room (so i could shift papers, knitting etc without faffing with crutches). They were happy to help, though some of the residents gave me very doubtful looks as I stuffed the goodies into my car. The rest I got from OT or borrowed from pals. Kitchen trolley in particular is a godsend as although I can potter round without crutches two weeks in, I would not fancy carrying anything much.

Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Widge422 I agree with CatLady - you really do need to prioritise this recovery. I know you want to do it all - but you are very early out of major surgery.

Don't fight this recovery. Resign yourself to just a few weeks of limitations for a lifetime of fun with family and friends. Get this right and you will be doing what you want to do very soon. Get it wrong and you will only lengthen the whole process.
 
Hi all, so an update, I tried the pillow between my legs and going on my side last night but it hurt my operated side and was then scared I was tuck and couldn't get back on my back! I did eventually and got a little sleep. I have tidied this morning as my parents have gone to visit friends overnight and they don't quite tidy and clean as I like it! Feel better for having a cleaner kitchen but definitely resting now, hubby doing the roast today and I might do my exercises and go and have a snooze! Feel quite tired and achy today and going to stop now and suck it all up. Let things go and accept all the help! X


Becki - RTHR - 6th Jan 2016
 
@Widge422 I agree with CatLady - you really do need to prioritise this recovery. I know you want to do it all - but you are very early out of major surgery.

Don't fight this recovery. Resign yourself to just a few weeks of limitations for a lifetime of fun with family and friends. Get this right and you will be doing what you want to do very soon. Get it wrong and you will only lengthen the whole process.
@Jaycey THIS will be my new mantra, thank you!
 
@Widge422 -- I'll agree with you -- it is hard to know when and where to stop the activity, as it seems all this over-do-it feeling is a delayed reaction (sort of like a sunburn) - by the time you feel it, it's too late!
 
@Widge422 Loved reading your thread, I find having my leg straight for a long period kills the back of my knee, so roll up a towel the have that just under the knee and it take the pressure off being so straight the Physio did this for me in hospital. I hope your having a good day:hi:
 
Hi all, sorry for being absent for a while!
I'm exhausted! Had clips out yesterday and first Physio session, he put me on an exercise bike!? I haven't been on a bike for about 30 years! Lol
I thought he was joking at first, I said, I only had it done 2 weeks ago!
It didn't hurt at the time but last night and this morning I've had sharp shooting pains down my entire leg! Hardly slept, v miserable! How's everybody else getting on??? ❤️❤️


Becki - RTHR - 6th Jan 2016
 
Great to hear from you @Widge422, does it feel good now the clips are out? Amazed to hear you are on bike so early, my physio sessions don't start until the first six weeks are up, so bike at two weeks is some going! Sound like a bit of rest, ice, elevate and painkillers may be in order. And chocolate. X


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
ooh after reading that I'm going to hold off getting on the exercise bike. Hope your pain pills & ice did the trick to get your leg feeling better. I wonder if it's because you are so young that your physio person had you on the bike so quickly? I feel like at 2 weeks I still feel pretty whipped out at times, but others have these expectations that hey your getting around so good you ought to do be right back to normal. It was major surgery you are allowed to not push it just yet. Do a little or at least try for a bit what they suggest but but if it's hurting stop. That's my plan anyway with the physical therapy. I know you've mentioned kids, hope they are helping. My little girl had to help me with getting those ted hose on this morning. I guess it's something they'll learn about at a way early age.
 
@bettifloss - can't really tell much difference tbh, haven't looked at it though, she put a dressing on it until my next shower (tomorrow, too worn out today). Everyone said it would be easier and feel less tight but I don't have any swelling or anything and it didn't feel that tight before!
I'm back in bed, don't feel great at all, it aches soooo much at the top of the leg, I have given in and got an ice pack on it, this is the first time I've used ice, hope it works! How's things going with you?
@gardengal - I have 2 boys, 14 and 5, they are complete opposites! However they can be very helpful one minute and complete pain in the bum the next! Lol x


Becki - RTHR - 6th Jan 2016
 
@Widge422 I'm interested in what other PTs are doing. At 3 days out (op on 4th PT on 6th) the therapist had me on recumbent stepper for 10 min. then one week later I once again did 10 min on recumbent stepper and immediately they added 10 min on recumbent bike. I'm definitely not young, except in attitude, but I felt pretty good when I finished. I have an upright stationary bike in my basement and I'm interested to find out when they might approve me pedaling on it. The scary part is the not knowing how much to do and whether or not the therapist knows exactly what they are doing. I chose to drive 30 miles back to my OS clinic and use their PT department since they all work together and I have to assume they have figured out what is safe and what isn't. I have homework exercises I do every day too. PT is only 1x a week. I put an Everlast exercise mat on a twin bed in a spare bedroom and it has made a wonderful therapy table. I do all of my exercises very slowly and carefully but I always feel good after I finish because I lose a lot of the stiffness. Talk to the therapist about what hurts. You go girl. --julie
 
@Widge422 - Sorry you didn't sleep well last night. Sleep should be getting a little easier as we progress in recovery (hopefully!) I hope the ice helps that ache at the top of the leg. Were you able to tolerate the ice okay? I am icing a lot but I also don't like to be cold. So I use an electric heating pad at the same time either on my back or tummy for warmth (not near operated hip.) Maybe that's a little crazy but it works for me and keeps me comfy. Wishing you a great recovery day! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom