Guest viewing is limited

THR The Widger has a new hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, thanks for all your messages. Saw Physio on Thursday and he thinks I was just overdoing it and not sticking to the 90 degree rule! he said my flexion is the best he has seen in a very long time and not stiff at all which is great but also means I am very loose and then more likely to dislocate so very important I stick to 90 degree rules for next two weeks! Gave me some more exercises including standing on just my operated leg and passing a ball round my waist, under my leg and over my head!!! Had a great day yesterday, went out for a couple of hours then out for a meal last night for my wedding anniversary, not feeling too bad this morning so feel I making great progress at the moment! x


Becki - RTHR - 6th Jan 2016
 
Saw Physio on Thursday and he thinks I was just overdoing it and not sticking to the 90 degree rule!
Unfortunately this is fairly typical at a month out. You start to feel like you can do more but your body is still very much in healing mode. Easy does it on the exercises. The one leg stand may produce some complaints from muscles that have not been used in awhile. Are you still icing?
 
No, I haven't really iced at all as I have a fear of ice and cold things, it causes me excessive pain! X


Becki - RTHR - 6th Jan 2016
 
Hi @Widge422 - Sounds like good progress! Glad you're flexibility is excellent. Feels good to be out and about
again, doesn't it? Happy Anniversary to you! Mine is tomorrow and we're going out to eat for the first time since my op. Very much looking forward to it! Continued good recovery to you! :egypdance:
 
Glad pain was nothing drastic, sounds like all is going great, keep up the good work... Hopefully we only have a couple of weeks of restrictions to go so it would be a shame to spoil it now!


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
@readysteadygo, happy anniversary for tomorrow!
Yes slow progress but feeling much more positive now.
Completely agree @bettifloss, the hard part is over now and I might even try and have a go at driving on Monday!? X


Becki - RTHR - 6th Jan 2016
 
Morning @Widge422 - before you leap in the car, just a thought re insurance - did anybody at the hospital actually tell you not to drive until after your post-op consultant appointment, or was it left to your own discretion? Just asking because they made a point of telling me at hozzie that since a doctor had told me not to drive until told otherwise (it's on the sheet of dos and don'ts I got at discharge), I would not be insured if I had an accident, even if it was not my fault.


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi bettifloss, it's a good idea to tell your insurance company but there's no law against driving, if you have an email from your consultant saying you can drive that's fine. My husband is an insurance broker and he definitely wouldn't let me drive unless it was legal!! X


Becki - RTHR - 6th Jan 2016
 
Thats really interesting to know. Unfortunately no chance of me getting said email - so I will have to stick it out until the 17th feb - good luck Monday if you decide to go for it!


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
Last edited by a moderator:
but there's no law against driving, if you have an email from your consultant saying you can drive that's fine.
The legal position is if you have been formally cleared by your consultant to drive then you can. In most cases this is not until your first followup appointment (around 6 weeks post op). You must also be off any heavy pain meds.
 
Hello all, another positive day today, hope all is well with you fellow hipsters??
I cooked a roast dinner, went to Costa, stripped and made the boys beds and had a little drive, feeling fab but having a good rest now! Interested to here how everyone else is getting on?? X


Becki - RTHR - 6th Jan 2016
 
Glad you had a good day & got out. I know that first time I drove I just felt like so glad, it felt so good to have the freedom to leave the house whenever I wanted. I didn't go far just to my daughter's school & the grocery store, but still it was a good day for sure. I'm not doing any physical therapy sessions at all. My doctor just said do what feels good & don't over do anything. Today I went for my longest walk yet in one stretch, a little over 1km. It felt nice to be outside. It's kind of neat the little things you notice at this point that couldn't do before with the bum hip. I realized I can now do a squat & I'm not all lopsided, yay! I know kind of dorky, but I was happy about it. Glad you passed the driving test.
 
@Widge422 -- I'm doing pretty well. Spent the day Saturday running errands and seeing a movie with hubby (he drove) but we went down to the mall area and ate lunch and did some shopping. I'm still following restrictions about getting in and out of a car, but I'm sure if I did drive, I'd be fine. I have a lot more ROM now than I ever did before surgery. In addition to yesterdays errands, I'm still walking a gravel road near our house twice a day. I don't really think about being handicapped much now, except the OS imposed restrictions (like how I sleep, etc).
Like I told hubby today, I'm not even sure where the cane I was using last week went. It most likely has been carried into a room, and left behind. :yay:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom