Guest viewing is limited

THR The Widger has a new hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ps when you were prescribed the naproxen were you prescribed omeprazole to take with them to protect your stomach? That seems standard in the UK for long term use.


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
Hi bettifloss, great to hear from you, how are you getting on.
Yes, the Naproxen did work for me before the op and what your saying makes perfect sense, I will stick with them I think, I just really want to get some normality back in my system but I know all good things and that, they didn't prescribe the Omeprazole initially, only when I went back and complained about the stomach acid! And again it's another pill to take! X


Becki - RTHR - 6th Jan 2016
 
Ok! It's 1.25am here in the UK and I am still awake, this is now a nightly thing, I think I have slept maybe 3 nights since my op on 6th Jan, it's really getting me down and I don't know what to do!
Should I still be suffering this badly 3 weeks in? Any advice is greatly appreciated x


Becki - RTHR - 6th Jan 2016
 
@Widge422 -- Are you having a hard time going to sleep, or once you're asleep - you wake up??
Another question: are you still on pain meds? I found the pain meds (Hydrocodone) would induce instant sleep - so if I took my dose at 11pm, it pretty much guaranteed falling asleep (to the point of sleeping though an alarm to wake me up for another pain pill). I"m off the pain meds now, and make wake up 2 or three times during the night, but am sleeping most the night now.

Maybe @Jaycey can comment.
 
@CatLady1 - I can't get to sleep in the first place, don't actually feel that tired, just on paracetamol now really, have stopped the morphine tablets but might take some oral morphine now and again if I get occasional pain!? X


Becki - RTHR - 6th Jan 2016
 
I do take an amitriptyline at night which is supposed to help you sleep, it always used to knock me out but doesn't work anymore!? x


Becki - RTHR - 6th Jan 2016
 
Hi @Widge422, i feel for you, still have the same thing some nights, i really think it's normal until you can you back to your usual sleeping position. Also, I think we are in some ways not as mentally or physically tired as usual when we are over the first post op period but not yet back to all our normal activities. For me, best thing has been to sleep on my own so I don't feel bad for hubby if i am making tea, on computer, or doing my knitting in the middle of the night. You can always catch up in the day. Hope you are asleep as i post this!


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
Should I still be suffering this badly 3 weeks in?
Unfortunately sleep issues are one of the biggest complaints during this recovery. Read this article again Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

The best advice I can give you is don't fight it! This will ease with time. Take naps when you can during the day. Also, be sure your pain is managed at night. You may need to speak to your GP about tweaking your meds. At only 3 weeks out just paracetamol may not be enough.

This too shall pass!
 
Oh I hear ya about the sleep issues. I really hate the idea of taking those pain pills to help with sleep now, because if I were to take them it'd be for the sleep benefit more than the pain benefit. Yes they helped with sleep, but they also gave me a headache the next morning & caused constipation. So now it's just my routine amitriptyline, which isn't doing a bit of good. I just want some good sleep so bad.
 
@gardengal ,@Widge422 , Hmm it seems several of us have the sleep issues at this stage.....
it seems to be winding off of stronger pain meds and using anti inflammatories .....and likely also getting a bit more active?! I'm talking with my Dr today but found just talking an over the counter anti histamine like Benadryl an hour before bedtime, and having Nighty Nite herbal tea is helping at least getting to sleep. iTs the 2am bathroom visit that I stay awake for an hour after! iM also going to check about when it's ok t get a body pillow to lean on as this total back sleeping is a challenge for me and would love to be able to sleep on my side.
Let us know what works for you,,,,,:bored:
 
@geneva, the last couple of nights I have taken 2 amitriptyline instead of just one and sleeping on the other side of the bed as I already sleep on my side and it means I am facing out, this has worked so far and feel so much better for 2 decent nights sleep. I feel ready to start getting back to normal which I haven't felt since the op.
I'm seeing the Physio tomorrow and going to beg to start driving, I have my parents staying with me and as much as my stepmum is amazing and literally does everything my dad is very lazy and does nothing, he's driving me mad and the house isn't quite as clean and little things are starting to get to me. Really if I could drive I could probably manage as I have a 5 year old to get to school. Also I took my last blood thinning tablet today and wondered what people's opinion is on the stockings, I've worn them constantly for 4 weeks and really want to let them go now, some people don't even get stockings in the first place!? What do you think?? X


Becki - RTHR - 6th Jan 2016
 
@Widge422 ,@gardengal ,@CatLady1 , Well it's wonderful to know someone somewhere is up in this first month of THR recovery somewhere in the world when we are awake. Show that our insomnia is pretty typical.
I'm going to take myself out for a drive as well today finally , just to begin to resume some normalcy !
I grew to hate those compression socks as well, and noticed that after stopping the blood thinning meds or even before I really had no swelling what so ever. i think it is best to as your DR as there may be other medical concerns for each individual to keep them on longer. iF you don't have other issues and are vertical and moving around quite a bit they may indicate you can go with out. I may keep mine just in case I take a flight in the near future....not sure if there is an after effect of this surgery in flying?????
I'm going to give the side sleeping a try tonight....thanks for the input ....what a simple thrill to look forward to?! Sound like you are ready to have your home back! cAn certainly relate!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Widge422, glad you have been able to get some sleep. Re the stockings, all I can tell you is that i just had 4 weeks of Clexane as my surgeon doesn't believe the stockings add anything. On the other hand, we each have our own risk factors, and in theory the medics should know best for each individual, etc, etc,. I will be interested to hear what the physio says about driving. Mine says i have got to wait another two weeks until six week check up. And in my case she is probably right - I feel like I could drive but wouldn't be 100 per cent sure about an emergency stop...


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
OMG! Owwwww pain, I've suddenly got a really sharp pain right at the bottom of my scar! Help, what could it be? I'm scared, can bearly walk x


Becki - RTHR - 6th Jan 2016
 
I'm in bed now, petrified to move, going to try and get some sleep and hope it feels better in the morning!
I'm scared I've dislocated it or something?? X


Becki - RTHR - 6th Jan 2016
 
@Widge422 just saw your post , and hope by the time you see my post you've gotten through to ur dr to share your new pain. iM going quite slow on my PT compared to what I've seen you share here. You may have irritated something below the surface. Those who I know who have had a THR and then do have a dislocation, are instantly in crisis level pain, and cannot even get to bed, cannot walk and need immediate ambulance or paramedic attention. After a bit of additional increase activity in my living, and PT I had a sharp pain just below the bottom of my scar and the dr thought I had irritated the trochanter area and that muscle that runs down the side of the thigh front. Icing and a few days of rest helped, reducing some of the pt exercises that stressed that area were the key. Good to remember that the huge amount of trauma this surgery inflicts on layers upon layers of tissue, nerves, tendons, muscles, and bone to the whole area, not even to mention the body system as a whole. It's easy to forget and just let our mind over-run the signals our body is trying to convey to us.....certainly is my problem!
Prayers of healing sent your way....hope your dr reaches you ASAP :beg:
 
Oh my, I hope the pain was just overdoing it. Sending good vibrations!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom