THR The Widger has a new hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Widge422 lovely to hear from you. So glad you did well with the walking and exercise. Delighted to hear that you are likely to go home tomorrow. So relieved its all done for you now. Good luck for tomorrow. Have a good night tonight x
 
well done @Widge244, sure it will be good progress from now on. Good luck with your discharge today


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016. Posterior approach with ceramic on ceramic prosthesis.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you both for your messages, yep i'm up, showered, packed, dressing changed but haven't seen a physio yet!
You'd think they'd want you seen and gone wouldn't you!
Have sat in the chair for 1 hour (the most I've managed so far) and I've just done my exercises! (Without being asked!!) I am worn out now though and the joint is aching quite a lot now! Can't wait to get home and so desperate to wash my hair! Lol X


Becki - 4 days post RTHR
 
Hope by now you are home and a bit more comfy! Get those pain meds going. The journey home can be exhausting.
 
Well done @Widge422 Becki. Hope you are home now. You definitely cant beat your own bed and having your own things around you. So glad its all gone well for you. Its all over now and you can look forward to feeling out of pain with the spring and the lighter nights coming. Fondest thoughts Gillywigs x
 
Ok, first morning at home, did not sleep well, very achy, quite painful and tired, felt a bit sick this morning. It did not feel this bad in hospital! Is this normal? I suppose I have walked around more last night and this morning than I did in whole time in hospital, I'm such a worry wart! Convinced something is going to go wrong! X


Becki - 5 days post RTHR
 
Hi Widger. Glad to hear you are home. Im no expert but based on my sample of one....you will be more tired because of the extra activity, and poor sleep seems to be an almost universal problem - one that I certainly haven't solved! Just give yourself plenty of naps during the day. Re the sickness - are you on any pain pills that might make you feel a bit sick, and did the hospital give you anything to take for nausea? They kept offering me anti-nausea pills while i was in hozzie but as it happened that wasn't one of my niggles. Think it is natural to be a bit worried at every new ache and pain, its a lot to get used to but it does get better even over the first couple of days (says she with a whole six days experience). Have a good morning x


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016. Posterior approach with ceramic on ceramic prosthesis.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ps i have taken to heart the bonesmart mantra to take pain meds on a regular schedule, don't wait until they start to wear off (which is also what physio said)


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016. Posterior approach with ceramic on ceramic prosthesis.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Get those BoneSmart mantras going and be sure you eat something before taking your pain meds. Going home is exhausting. Rest, rest and more rest prescribed.
 
Hi @Widge422 ! Congrats to you for being a brave January Jackpot! Sounds like things went quite well for you after surgery! I'm sorry you had a rough first night at home. Sleep as much as you can - and I know that's easier said than done. :sad: I hope you are feeling much better now. Sending good thoughts to you from across the Atlantic! :wave:
 
@Widge422, I hope you're feeling better and in less pain now. I remember the day I was discharged from my first THR. The second I got home all I wanted to do was lie down and sleep. I couldn't believe that just riding in the car had made me so exhausted. The first few days are a lesson in getting everything just right for recovery to go forward. Take good care of yourself. :)
 
Morning @Widge422, how are you feeling today. Hope you managed to get a bit of sleep and pain/nausea under control.


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016. Posterior approach with ceramic on ceramic prosthesis.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Widge422 the most important thing is that you are HOME. With everything going on in our bodies, I'm sure we are on heightened alert; and let's face it, this is all very much undiscovered territory for us. Thank goodness for the generous support from those here who have previous experiences to share.
I too can be a bit of a worry wart and that is the ONE thing about being home- without nurses at the ready with answers that is, that will be a little nudgie for me. (I once had a little outpatient surgery on my hand & ended up going back to emergency that night because my hand looked blue- turns out my husband had rewrapped the bandage too tight :snork:) Hopefully, once you get cozy and get resting, elevating, icing and get the food ~ meds on a tight schedule you will settle in to wonderful recovery! Cheers to you and may the healing begin!
 
Hi all, yes it all seems to be settling down thanks. Still no sleep but not surprised about that. I have run out of my slow release Morphine and have had a hell of a job getting some from the docs! In the last hour I have had quite significant pain and the Oramorph isn't touching it, I'm hoping my stepmum has managed to get the Morphine now so going to check and take some!
Managed to get the morphine but feel it is a bit swollen...should I be worried??
Hope your all getting on well Bettifloss, Readysetgo, DeepBreath, CatLady1, Terrycloth. Sending good vibes to all recoverees and iminant hipsters ❤️❤️❤️ x


Becki - 6 days post RTHR
 
Hi! Me again! I wrote the previous post hours ago but wanted to check I remembered everyone, (which I didn't! So sorry Gillywigs! , hope you are ok too!) and then I forgot to post it!
So that is all pretty much old news!
However I now seem to have a lot more pain and some swelling which I am concerned about....
I am wondering whether I have been sat without the leg elevated for too long today?
I was advised at the hospital that they don't recommend elevating the leg when in a sitting position in fear of going over the 90 degree restriction so have not elevated the leg at all?? Also I haven't been able to do as many of the exercises as I was able to do yesterday and the day before, I am concerned there maybe an infection or something!
Please can somebody put my mind at rest??
X


Becki - 6 days post RTHR
 
Widge -- my swelling didn't start until about day 3. Today it's better (looks less swollen) but still feels that way. My knee is swollen, my hip area feels swollen. My pain seems to come and go... the more I move around, the more I can feel those fillet'd muscles getting used, the more sore I am (I'm trying to get up and walk around every hour as advised).

Does it hurt when you move around, or while sitting?
 
Hi Widge - good to hear from you and it sounds like you are making progress even though it may not always seem like it. Better to leave Josephine or Jaycey to comment about infection worries but I think the hospital should have given you a checklist of things to watch out for or a number to ring if you are concerned? Not something to diagnose over the internet! But lower leg swelling seems very common from what we read on here.

I Was told the same thing as you - not to raise lower legs with a footstool because of the ninety degree rule. But bed is good, or if you can use a reclining chair where the back goes back as the feet come up. Many hippies seem to swear by them. I have an old one we got on ebay for my elderly auntie and it is great to be able to change position at the press of a button. You can hire them for about fifty pounds a week I think.




Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016. Posterior approach with ceramic on ceramic prosthesis.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom