Guest viewing is limited

THR The Widger has a new hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
first Physio session, he put me on an exercise bike!?
You are going to need to be very firm with this PT. You should not be hurting following any PT. Do not let anyone push you.

Everyone heals differently but unfortunately many PT just put every patient through a treadmill of activities without any thought as to the patient's own situation. If you have not been on a bike in 30 years you would probably be sore even without the complication of surgery! What on earth was he thinking?

Please be your own advocate at PT. Say no if it hurts and stop when you need to. Most PT have never gone through joint replacement. In many cases all this exercise is totally counterproductive (sorry for the rant)!
 
Hello, @Widge422! Just checking in to see how you're doing. :) My goodness, you are a busy lady! You've been given great advice.
I have to heartily second what Jaycey says about PT not hurting. I started physical therapy 4 weeks out from my last surgery. During my second session I was put on a recumbent bike. I could tell immediately that it wasn't right for me. I only did a couple of minutes and most of that just rocking the pedals back and forth. I stopped though and informed the PT (this was not my regular therapist) that I wouldn't be doing that again and to please note it in my chart. I reiterated that with my regular PT and she was very understanding.
You know how you feel...they don't.
Sending continued thoughts for a great recovery. Be good to yourself. :)
 
Hi Readysteadygo - what a brilliant idea, I'm going to do that tonight, ice on the leg but heat elsewhere to keep me warm!
I think you are right Jaycey, trouble is you don't know it's bad till the next day and then you feel the pain! That said, I will be mentioning this to the PT next time, his plan is to put me on the bike and the cross trainer in 2 weeks, however I may have progressed enough in 2 weeks? Who knows?? X


Becki - RTHR - 6th Jan 2016
 
Hi widge. I enjoyed reading your thread. Saw a few similarities to my first week! I just started having swelling in my op leg today, almost one week out! Tried to elevate for 15 minutes and will repeat. Can't believe how much PT others are doing! I just have a few in bed exercises and walking around the house. Looking forward to reading more of your saga!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
his plan is to put me on the bike and the cross trainer in 2 weeks
Recovery from THR is not like training for a marathon - tell PT that! Putting you on all that equipment is just lazy on his part. It's not doing anything for your new hip except aggravating the muscles and soft tissues. Too much too soon.
 
Your physio sounds more than a bit OTT Widge. I was talking to a physio friend last night ( 40 years experience) and she told me that most NHS hip replacement patients are not offered any physio at all, just told to walk, and in her opinion do just fine. The private hospitals (mine included) all offer physio - patients expect it and of course they make money on it - but in her opinion the outcome is not much different! The important thing is to walk. Which is what Josephine and Jaycey also say. Having said that, it does feel good to think you are doing something to speed your own recovery, especially if you have particular goals and activities in mind. So despite having heard all this, I am still keen to do some physio, particularly to regain my ROM to get back on the horse in minimum time. But I think I would take a dim view of any painful or punishing regimes, just a couple of weeks out! Oops, better get off my soapbox and get walking...


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
I think the problem was when he asked me about my exercises and progress I exaggerated a bit! I didn't want to get told off for not working hard enough! Think I'll make sure he's aware of how much pain I was in and don't want to push it too much! X


Becki - RTHR - 6th Jan 2016
 
The trouble with some of these PT folk is that they are experienced in rehab from athletic injuries - not from joint replacement. Your physio sounds like one of these.

You should not be worried in the least about not working hard enough. PT post joint replacement is not about working hard. It's about regaining your mobility and strength.

You might ask to be referred to someone with joint replacement experience. I fear you will let him push you to an uncomfortable place which is a real danger - especially in these early days.
 
How are we all fellow bone smarties!?

I had my staples removed on Wednesday, was fold it looked amazing and healing well, however I have found it weeping a bit and a small area gaping (I don't deal with this sort of stuff well!) and have sort of resembled it with skin closures and an aqua plaster! Is this weeping normal? I'm going to see the nurse at my local doctors tomorrow just to get it checked out! X


Becki - RTHR - 6th Jan 2016
 
Hi widge. I enjoyed reading your thread. Saw a few similarities to my first week! I just started having swelling in my op leg today, almost one week out!

JoMarie - That's when all my swelling started. At my checkup Friday, The OS said that's when they normally see it - it takes about a week to gravitate down your leg from the surgery site to the knee area. And will usually go away in time / icing, etc. He didn't seem very concerned at all.
 
Hi Widger, hope your incision checked out OK, most impressed with your DIY repairs.


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
Hi, yes check on wound went ok, just me panicking again, although the nurse sis say they could have done with keeping the staples in a couple more days!
It still feels very numb around the wound area, is this normal 3 weeks in!? X


Becki - RTHR - 6th Jan 2016
 
Good to hear, Jaycey. Mine feels the same way. How long does the numbness / hard feeling last?
 
That's why I love Bonesmart! Even though we're not all in the same place in healing, we can at least compare how things are going and find out how everyone else is progressing. :spin:
 
Hi Jaycey, could I ask another question pls??
I'm still taking the naproxen and not sure they are doing anything anymore as they were prescribed before the op, do you think I could stop taking them? I basically only on the blood thinning meds and paracetamol now x


Becki - RTHR - 6th Jan 2016
 
How long does the numbness / hard feeling last?
This varies with literally every patient. Nerves and soft tissues have been traumatised. Sometimes it takes awhile for things to settle. Just give it time.
I'm still taking the naproxen and not sure they are doing anything anymore as they were prescribed before the op, do you think I could stop taking them?
I can't really advise you from a medical perspective. But if your pain is well managed without Naproxen give it a try. You may find you need a bit of pain management if you are still having PT.
 
Today is my two week day and my incision area is still hard, swollen and sore for sure. After PT I find I need to take the pain meds closer together to keep the pain level to a point where I feel ok moving around.


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Can't speak from the medical point of view @Widge422, but from the lay persons perspective, did you think the naproxen were helping your pain before the op? If they were, then you might find that stopping them now may lead to increased pain. On the other hand, if they didn't have a great effect before the op, they are probably not doing much now! I raise this because I took naproxen for six weeks last summer before doc concluded that I was a non-responder, apparently naproxen works well as a pain reliever in only about two thirds of people. I guess you will soon know if you miss a few doses and get more pain....you can always restart them


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom