Knee Infection* The Story of My Knees Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Story of My Knees

I think you answered your own question! You took a pain pill, and later climbed into bed! Just what we all know we are supposed to do, but seldom do. Glad something helped.

3dogmom
rtkr 6/1/10

Wise words, there!

Hello Everyone!

I even took 15 mg of Loritab before I went to rehab. Well when I got home, I climbed in bed and fell asleep, and the pain has gone down tremendously! Why? It just doesn't make any sense!:doh:
I can see I was quite fuzzy in my questioning!:rotfl: What I meant was even though I had taken 15 mg of Loritab, I still had tremendous pain doing the straight leg lift. Don't you think that the pain meds would override the pain so I could at least accomplish the exercises?

I thought that was what you meant but then others replied and put me off track!

Short answer is that analgesics only inhibit the ongoing pain. Sharp and intense pains such as that will very much come under the title of "break through"!

Thanks Josephine!

I hadn't thought about break through pain.:wink:

I went to San Angelo yesterday and had my cpap checked out again. My hubby says I am not snoring anymore,:hehe: but I am having trouble falling asleep at the wheel still!:skep: They had me wear a pulse oxy to measure my heart rate and breathing rate during the night. My rates slipped below 75% 28 times during the night, and so more studies are needed. They moved my cpap rating from 8 to 10, and I will most likely have another sleep study soon. Yippee!:whis:I was trying to avoid it, because you don't sleep much during that time. :hehe:

I drove back home and headed to PT. My knee is doing better on the inside, I think I must have pulled the muscle. :skep: Anyway, it seems to be improving!:wink:

Hello Everyone,

I think I overdid it this weekend.:th_skeptical: My knee is killing me again and I was thinking about things and I realized that the last surgery was 6 months ago!:th_sigh: Even though the infection set me back after that, I still think I should be doing better. I am getting very frustrated because it is one step forward and two steps back.:th_skeptical:

Boy, that IS one of the frustrating things about recovery, Sonja. In your case, you've had so much to deal with...I know you are really ready to get this behind you. Don't worry...this is a busy time of year for everyone. It's easy to overdo it. But you'll be back on track in no time. Just always remember to take care of YOU.

Sonja...don't be discouraged. We all over do evey once in a while. Sometimes we do not even realize what we have done. You have come so far and you are going to get there.

The silly song comes to mind....From Toyland.

Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you値l be walking cross the floor
And soon you値l be walking out the door

You never will get where youæ± e going
If you never get up on your feet
Come on, thereç—´ a good tail wind blowing
A fast walking man is hard to beat

If you want to change your direction
If your time of life is at hand
Well don稚 be the rule be the exception
A good way to start is to stand

If I want to change the reflection
I see in the mirror each morn
You mean that it's just my election
To vote for a chance to be reborn

Thanks Jamie and Barb!:snk:

I went to PT today and I had a "breakthrough" moment!:snk: I was able to do the straight leg raises on my own and I did 15 reps. They hadn't even written it down for me to do because of the pain it had been causing! I did all of my exercises and I did well today! I started feeling hopeful again!

I am going to have another sleep test done in January.:th_skeptical: I am not very excited because I never seem to get much sleep during the test, and I am grouchy the next day!:whis:

Jamie, how did your sleep test turn out?

ai53.tinypic.com_28tvqfs.gif

That's a GREAT report, Sonja! Keep the good news comin'!

My sleep study was okay. I don't have sleep apnea. The reason I'm so tired is because my sleep is interrupted constantly by Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (PLMD).....geeze, I'd never even HEARD of a disorder by that name. Sometimes I think they make these "problems" up just so you can be prescribed some medications for it. It means that something is causing my legs (from hip to toes) to flex and release or move many times per hour, making deep sleep impossible for most of the night. It is NOT restless leg syndrome....the movements are different. But it is still disruptive.

I chatted with my GP yesterday about it and there are medications to take to stop the movement. I'm not willing to add another med right now, so I'm going to try some other approaches. None of the drugs "cure" anything; they just mask the symptoms so you can sleep.

Thanks for asking! Here is the thread I started to talk about it in case someone else suffers with it also.

Hello Everyone!:snk:

I went to PT today and I walked in WITHOUT crutches!:th_jumpy:
I was all smiles and PT today went very well! I did 2 sets of 12 straight leg raises with ease!:th_yay: The PT had not even put the straight leg raises on my schedule. The helper read the wrong line and when I asked about doing the leg raises on my side, she looked and said "I don't think you were supposed to do the straight leg raises." The PT came over and asked me how I felt and I said "a little sore, but very good.":thmb: Oh, I am so thankful, especially after I was chasing Myra (my Dachshund) outside and I felt the knee go every way possible, but still it held up!:snk:

Wow....GREAT, Sonja!!! Nothing quite as precious as surprising the ol' therapists with your strength and dexterity!!! Don't get crazy now....:th_heehee:!

No crutches? That's a BIG step! (pardon the pun, but it was intentional!)

Sonja that is really great news!!! I have been following you for quite a while now and when I am really feeling down and having my own little pity party I sometimes go back and read some of your posts and that really helps me. You have really been thru alot and really have a good attitude with everything on your plate. I hope things continue to improve for you daily. :lvshwr::amen:

Hello Everyone and Merry Christmas!

I thought I was having a MRSA relapse, because I went back downhill and was weepy:cry1: and aching all over. I was having many of the symptoms that MRSA usually gives me but I did not have the horrible headache! Mom was here (she's a nurse), and she asked about a new med I had started taking for restless leg syndrome. It is called Mirapex, and when she looked it up, I was the poster child for all of it's side effects!:th_hate-shocked: All of my joints were aching and I couldn't understand that. My knees were aching after doing so well. All because of Mirapex! Well, I won't blame my right knee pain entirely on the meds but I am doing so much better!

One of the PT's has been doing Lymph therapy on my leg, and that has helped me so much! She is a great person and she is so caring. I love going to PT because I can joke with them and have a great time and still get a great workout!:wink:

Sonja, I'm so glad you figured out it was the new medication. Good for you!!!

Well, I'm glad you figured that out! What a scare that was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kevin from PA
Recent bookmarks