Knee Infection* The Story of My Knees Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonja, Since you have lost a lot of weight and it's been 13 years, I bet your doctor will want to retest you since your needed setting may have changed. I remember my doctor telling me that I would be retested if I lost or gained a lot of weight.

I'm happy to hear the knot is starting to go down.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

I agree with Karen, Sonja....things do change. How wonderful that the CPAP machine has helped you like this.

I just had a sleep study and am awaiting the results.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Well, that figures! But what a good thing you realised.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Well, that figures! But what a good thing you realised.

Well Jo, I didn't put it all together until my husband told me I was "snoring like a freight train" even with my mask on!:zzz: I asked him how long that had been happening, and he said about a month, and then I figured out that was why I was falling asleep at the wheel and nodding off every time I sat down!:yawn:

The cpap machine has been a lifesaver for me! I use it when I nap, and sleep! I love it!:D I had to get used to the 1st month; I would find the mask thrown across the room.:rotfl: The deciding factor on getting used to it was when my Neuro said the next step would be cutting a hole in my neck so I could breathe at night!:shk: That got my attention and the cpap became my best friend!:wink:

The knot on my knee is continuing to go down. The pain has stayed away, and I am feeling pretty darned good, if only I could stay awake!:wink:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

I can imagine about finding it thrown across the room!

I was talking to someone not so long ago who has serious SA problems and she declared with some vehemence that she would never cope with a CPAP as she was claustrophobic and could bear having her face covered! I just told her 'oh, so you'd rather risk pegging out in the middle of the night then?" I think she never did get the machine.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

When I had my recent sleep test, the technician showed me three types of masks that could be used. I found that interesting because I only thought there was one type - the kind that covered both your mouth and nose. For people that are more claustrophobic, there was a small cup that just covered your nose and then another style that had a Y-shaped tube with soft pieces on the top that fit against your nostrils. I tried all of them and the Y-shaped one was the one I would have used had I needed it during the test. It pretty much left your face uncovered and free, so it seems like it would work well for someone who was claustrophobic.

Here is a broken link removed: https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cpap-masks/SL00018.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Could be that's what she thought - it was like an oxygen mask. Never thought of that. :doh:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

I added a link to show some examples in my previous post, Jo.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

I've been using a CPAP for about five years and use the mask that fits over the nose. The one that fully covers your mouth and nose is for mouth breathers. I can't use the one that fits under your nostrils even though its less invasive because I get sores around my nostrils. Mine is like #4 in your link.

Wearing the mask at night really is a pain but I definitely notice the difference in how I feel during the day. I can't sleep at all without it now. Instead of snorting and making gasping for air all night, my husband says I now sound like Darth Vader! :hehe:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Hello Everyone!:D

I wear the mask that goes over the nose and mouth. I breathe through my mouth and always have. When I first got my machine, the RT told me she was giving me a chinstrap to keep my mouth shut during the night "like normal people" and that way I would learn to breath through my nose! Well, I think the experiment lasted about 5 minutes or less because I thought I was going crazy!:rotfl: I went back the next day and told her "you can't change me after 32 years of mouth breathing!:skep:
Give me a mask that will work for me!:ee:

Jo, when you told your friend about the need for the cpap machine you were "spot on!" Sleep Apnea will raise the blood pressure, cause heart attacks, and is a big reason for accidents if left untreated.

My new cpap is so quiet, that no one can tell that it is on unless I take the mask off before I turn it off. My hubby likes it a lot better than my old cpap!:hehe:

Oh I forgot to mention that yesterday I was traveling to San Angelo, 2 1/2 hours away from where I live, and a one mile stretch is 60 miles per hour. I "forgot":whis: to slow down to 60 mph when the Hwy Patrol's lights came on. He stopped me and said I was doing 70 and asked if I knew that I was in a 60 zone. I said "yes" but hmmm... and he said "I can hardly wait to hear this excuse!" I had my 2 Dachshunds riding in the passenger seat and so I said "My dogs?":whis: He burst out laughing and said he would only give me a warning. He was still laughing as we pulled away. He told me he had never heard anyone use that excuse before!:rotfl: One of my dogs can give such a sad face and she played it just right for me.

 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Not to mention simply expiring through lack of oxygen!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

There is a chemical mechanism in the brain that, as the CO2 levels rise, so the patient is stimulated to deeply inhale. If this stimulation is blocked, it will get stronger and stronger until the sleeping patient wakes up, often quite rapidly. This is what accounts for the sudden gasping awakenings in SA, occasionally accompanied by feelings of panic.

On occasion, when a patient being reversed from paralysis in anaesthesia fails to start breathing, a few seconds of CO2 given with forced inhalation (in other words, squeezing the Boyle's bag) can do the trick.

Aren't I a treasure trove of odd little factoids?!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees


Aren't I a treasure trove of odd little factoids?!

Now, what else would I expect from a Nurse? Huh, Jo!:rotfl:

I did forget to mention that what is happening to me now is not obstructive apnea, but central sleep apnea. That is when the brain fails to give a signal to the lungs to breathe. I am heading in early in the morning to see my Neurologist to see what she plans on doing. I have to get back to Midland by 2:15 for my physical therapy appointment and it takes 2 hours to drive from her office to my PT.:wink:


 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Okie dokie - I understand. Important difference that!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Dang, Sonja!!! I hope this is not going to be an ongoing problem for you. Please let us know how your appointment goes.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Well, here's the long and short of my appointment today. Dr. Crenshaw wants to see me because of it being central apnea. I explained that I did not have time today because I had PT to do. So she agreed to the lowered constant pressure of 8, and the RT will see me again in two weeks to see if things are improving. I also am supposed to schedule an appointment with Dr. Crenshaw asap. Well, I will put her in the line of "things to do." :wink:

I went to PT today, and I could not do the straight leg lifts. The thigh muscle would quiver but I could not get the leg to come up!:hsft: The PT came and "adjusted" my kneecap and then helped me do a couple of leg lifts. He said "just try a couple more", and I did the 3 sets that I was supposed to do. I am also having trouble with the bent knee leg raise. I have to hold the kneecap in place
when I am raising it and I can't raise it very far.

Just when I think things are going well, I start having setbacks. This knee is refusing to track, and Dr. Maale will not be pleased if I don't make a heck of a lot more progress before Jan 4th!:sgh:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Don't get discouraged, Sonja. You know it's one of those things that you just have to keep working on. You'll have small steps backward sometimes...that's to be expected. And as long as you ARE working on it, I'm sure Dr. Maale will be understanding. You have some time here, so don't let it get to you! ((((HUGS))))
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

I also am sure he will be understanding. A surgeon doesn't get where he is by being a bully with his patients!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom