• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Knee Infection* The Story of My Knees Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Story of My Knees

So what does he want to do with your "unsalvagable leg"? CUT IT OFF????:th_scratch:
Maybe he needs to put his neck brace on, or better yet OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!:th_heehee:
What a mean thing to say to someone.
Get another Doc. Fast.
Sandy

Karen is right. Although his behavior was horrible and there is no excuse.....it may be a factor of HIS pain levels. Did you question him at all as to why he would say that? Was that the end of his discussion with you???

If you didn't get any more information, make a list of questions to take with you when you see Dr. Casas again. You need real answers!!

I tried to talk to him but he didn't listen! He walked out of the room and I thought he was coming back, but I was wrong.

Jo, the first time I met him he was nice! He has been in a neck brace and in pain after the first meeting. (He is getting a taste of what his patients go through!):wink:

Sandy, yes he planned on cutting off the leg. That is why I am switching doctors. I think he is on pain meds that are messing with his mind! Dr. Casas wants to deal with the immune system first because that is why I keep getting MRSA infections! He is a smart Dr. :snk:

I am heading back to PT tomorrow, and they will be doing lymphadema therapy 3 times a week plus physical therapy. I am so excited. The pain in my leg is almost gone and even though I am walking with a limp, I feel pretty darned good!:th_yahoo:

I went to PT today and the therapist was shocked that Dr, Maale said that he probably couldn't salvage my leg! She looked at it, and said it is a little swollen and warmer than the other but that it didn't look infected! I said "I don't believe it is infected either because I don't hurt like I did when it was infected."

So we are going to work hard with the lymphadema treatments, and PT.:th_yahoo: I am ready, and I am going to work hard to get over this hump. I have a cruise in March, and I plan to be on 2 legs, not 1!:egdnc:

Good for you! :thmb:

My PT said to make sure I am RICEing this weekend. She wants me to get that leg up as much as possible. She is an excellent Therapist, and I know that I will be successful. I am going to be dancing around my old doctor in the near future!:snk:

Good for you, Sonja. I know you will be successful, and I love your attitude. I will be thinking of you.

That's the old Sonja spirit back again!!! I'm happy to see you are looking forward to those good days ahead. I'm also VERY thankful for your wonderful therapist!!!

That's the old Sonja spirit back again!!! I'm happy to see you are looking forward to those good days ahead. I'm also VERY thankful for your wonderful therapist!!!

Thanks Jamie,

The Doc might have taken the wind out of my sails for a day or two, but it wasn't HIS life that was going to be so dramatically impacted, it was MINE! When I "woke up" and realized, I have a choice to either take him at face value, or reach down deep inside and get back to my faith, the decision was easy!:wink:

Yes, my therapist is wonderful also! In fact I have found a place where all of the people are so positive! I have told them about my cruise, and when I start getting down on myself, they mention the cruise to me!:snk: They love to joke and keep things light, and so it doesn't seem like drudgery going 3 times a week! I look forward to it.

The last place I went to was horrible and was in the same town! I now realize if I had continued with them that I would not have achieved all that I have to this point.

I have worked hard this weekend and the lump that is on the side of my leg has gone down a lot! The IS dr. told me it was the fluid that usually occurs in a normal knee joint, only this fluid can't get through my artificial one. She says she has seen people with knots as big as softballs on the side of their leg, and when they drain it , that is what it is.:wink:

I'm glad to hear it's getting better! Good for you.

Hello Everyone!:egdnc:

This has been a great day! I went to PT and the main Therapist "Rick" worked with with me today. He was showing Katie some more ways to work on my leg and it felt great afterwords!:th_yahoo:
The color is actually starting to go back to white from a splotchy purple and red. He worked on the big scar that I have from two surgeries that I have had and it started to go down.

Life is just pretty darned wonderful!:wink:

Cool bean, Sonja!!! I'm smilin' for you!

:th_yahoo: Happy for you Sonja! Keep looking up. Perspective is key to our healing. We can choose to be thankful as you are or moan and groan and be miserable - like that horrible doctor of yours.

Rose, you are definitely correct about perspective being the key to healing!:wink: My doctor is a miserable person because he is hurting, and it comes out it every way possible! If I had stayed in the "pity party" mode, I never would have made all of the progress that I have.:snk:

We make a choice every day when we get out of bed to be happy and greet the day, or we can wallow in misery and moan and groan. Either way there are 24 hours that God has given to us, and I choose to make the best of them!:wink:

I called Barbara who works in Dr. Maale's and Dr. Casas office, and told her I wanted to switch to Dr. Casas. She told me that they work closely together, and I told her that I knew that.

She said she heard what Dr. Maale said to me about not being sure he could salvage my leg, and I asked her if she knew that 2 months before that, he had told me my leg was free of infection and he would only need to "follow up" with me every 2 months.
Needless to say, she is talking to Dr. Casas today to ask him to take my case. I saw him once, and really liked him.:snk:

It frustrates me that we have to advocate for ourselves. I thought doctors took care of us!! Apparently not in some cases!

Surely you jest!

The goal of doctors is to treat your knee, hip or whatever. Not to look after you!
I call it 'tunnel vision mentality'!

Well, I didn't receive a phone call from Barbara today, so I will have to call her tomorrow to see if Dr. Casas is going to take over or if I just need to start looking again.:th_skeptical: The problem is I really like Dr. Casas and I know that he will be willing to talk to me. Dr. Maale averaged 2 to 3 minutes in the room each time he saw me.

On the last visit, when he told me he didn't think he could salvage my leg I was "graced by his presence" for a WHOLE 1 and 1/2 minutes!:whis:

Don't you know that I felt honored!:th_hate-shocked:

Hello Everyone!

Went and did physical therapy today and had the lymphedema treatment. The Lymph treatment is really helping my leg! It is starting to look like a "normal":th_heehee: leg again!

One problem that I am having over and over again, is the kneecap keeps slipping out of place and then my leg gets quite painful. Jo or Jamie or anyone, do you have any idea of how I can get it to stay in place?

What do they do for your lymphadema treatment?

I'm glad it is helping. Sounds like it is taking down the swelling.

Donna

Jo is probably the best person to answer this, but I do think at least some patellar movement can improve as your leg muscles get stronger. Therapists sometimes tape it to keep it from moving around too. That might be a good fix if it's a temporary problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
ScaredSilly2024
Recent bookmarks