Knee Infection* The Story of My Knees Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Story of My Knees

Hello Everyone!

It has been a cold icy day today! My appointment with the IS was canceled due to the weather, so I am going to try to reschedule it for tomorrow morning, and then I will see Dr. Maale in the afternoon. I am going to ask him if I can get a 2nd opinion from Dr. Casas.

It has been so wonderful meeting Jennifer and her Mom (Nancy), They are great people and I have had a great time getting to know them. We have had a good time talking about the differences between Texans and "New Jerseyians!" :whis: Seriously though, Jenn has lifted my spirits, and Nancy and I had a talk and she helped me remember who was in control of my situation!:wink:

(I keep wanting to help the Lord, but He doesn't seem to need my help! Go figure!):th_heehee:

I will let you all know know what happens with the doctors tomorrow! I know that I will be praying!:th_prayer2:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonja,
Best of luck tomorrow. Glad you got to meet Jennifer and Nancy, always good to make new friends. Did you need an interpreter? big difference between Texans and what I see from the TV about New Jerseyians (Snookie, Real housewifes of New Jersey, Cake Boss etc...) :snk:
It is always hard to realize we aren't in control, I have been reading a lot of Max Lucado recently, very uplifting.
Praying you receive the help you deserve tomorrow.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Well.... never thought I would say this but I know of a doctor who actually keeps up with BoneSmart so I will watch my p's and q's!:whis: Anyway, the doctor that I have been discussing, (rhymes with Raliegh),:rolf: treated me with the respect I deserved yesterday. I told him flat out that last time he had said what amounted to cutting off my leg, and that wasn't happening! Long story short, he wants to put in another knee by the same manufacturer that put in my first one. I asked if I could get a second opinion with his partner and he said "no problem."

Today, the partner told the office staff to call me and tell me that he doesn't give new patients 2nd opinions. I told them "I am not a new patient", and they said "well that is what he said," and I know that he is just going to stonewall, so I am going to drop it.


I am considering my options as I know I too have the right to get a second opinion from outside a practice if I wish. The Doctor is saying all of the right things, but it is MY knee!:th_skeptical:

I will be putting my trust in the Lord, knowing that He is the greatest Healer of them all!:th_prayer2:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonja don't give up. I knew a lady I used to work with who had a MRSA infection she struggled with for several years. She was able to finally get rid of it with the help of an infection specialists and my OS. She is now walking around on her new knee and very happy. He did not do her original surgery by the way. She looks so much better and healthier.

So I will continue to pray for your healing and care.

Donna
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonja,
You are so right it is your knee and you do have rights.
With all I have read on this sight, the one thing I can say is my OS has to be one in a million. Not only did he set up a second and third opinion within the practice, he set up a seperate opinion with the head of Vanderbilt University Ortho. My OS said he wanted be sure that he was making the right recommendations for me and that we were on the same page.
I will pray that you get the help that you need. Don't be afraid to get that second opinion.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonja, you are one gutsy lady! All power to you, honey! God is good!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Dear Sonja.....good for you. Now you have some reasonable things to consider. This is a much better situation.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Hello Everyone!:snk:

It is a great day! We went to Costco and Sam's and then we went out and looked at my Sister and Brother-in Law's property.

My knee doesn't allow me to get out and walk on the undeveloped hills, so I watched from the car.

I forgot to mention that I am not having the knee replacement surgery until April. I chose that so I could go on the trip. The doctor told me if I could stand the pain from the abscess on the tibia, then there wasn't any danger in waiting! He pointed to where the abscess was and I said "no wonder I have pain there!":wink:

My doc took more time with me yesterday than he had the previous 5 visits combined! He even came back to visit when I was talking to the scheduler. We were talking and laughing and he joined in!:snk:

So tonight I am going to schedule the airline reservations!:th_yahoo:

I am pumped and ready to go! I will be starting back to PT on Monday after a week off. Must get busy for my upcoming trip!:whis: Cruise is March 27th.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Great news for you, Sonja. You are going to have a wonderful trip with this weight lifted from your mind!!!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Indeed - you deserve your holiday. :thmb:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

I forgot to mention one of the most important things that I found out while I was there!:whis:

While talking to Dr. Maale, I said "I don't want any more surgeries until all of the MRSA is gone!" He told me that they wouldn't even consider it if MRSA was still running around in my body...... but.....
I DO NOT have any active MRSA anywhere in my body; only on the replacement itself!:th_yahoo:

They will take out the replacement, do a washout, debridement, and search, and then they will put in the new knee replacement the same day. Then I will be on 6 weeks of IV daptomycin, followed by some oral antibiotic that I will take for the rest of my life as a precaution.:th_skeptical:

God is so good to me! He has seen me through so much and I sometimes forget who should receive all of the credit!:th_prayer2:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Hi Sonja,
That is great news !! Also, I am so happy that you booked your cruise you so deserve to relax and enjoy yourself! Have a wonderful time and I wish you best for your upcoming surgery.

Diane :th_jumpy:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonja,
Thank goodness they have a plan that you can live with and that gets you on your well deserved vacation. Enjoy yourself and know that when you come back you'll be closer to a turning the page to a new chapter of your life.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Hi Sonja, Great news you deserve it after all you have been through I have been following your post . I had a second stage revision due to infection. Everything is fine now and I am back on track enjoy your holiday Irene
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

I'm so pleased Dr Maale has redeemed himself. He must have been having an off day!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

I'm so pleased Dr Maale has redeemed himself. He must have been having an off day!

Yes, he must have had an off day. :wink: We made amends and I am confident in his ability. He actually talks! :rolf: He even has learned to laugh because of me!:snk:

I went to PT today and aggravated the heck out of the abscess on the tibia!:th_2hissy1:
The pain, oh the pain! I can't believe that an abscess can cause so much pain!:th_skeptical: It makes me want to rip my leg off!
I will say this, my leg had better shape up soon! I have a trip to take in March, and my leg is going with me, hurting or not!:wink:

 
Re: The Story of My Knees

I think you may have had the right idea earlier, Sonja, about Dr. Malle when you thought he might still be in pain from his own surgery. Maybe he did what we all advise against and that is go back to work too early. I'm glad he is back on the "good guy" list. It would have been a shame to lose such an excellent resource as he was initially!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

That's true Jamie! The people that end up needing his talent, can feel good again! I had to make sure that he was back "to reality" though!:th_heehee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom