Knee Infection* The Story of My Knees Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Story of My Knees

I am from Texas originally. I still have family in Dallas and Wichita Falls. My mom was from Dallas and my dad from a little oil boom town near Wichita Falls.

I was born at Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls! I go to Dallas regularly because my sister and brother-in-law live in Highland Village, a suburb of north Dallas.

When you talked about being a terror for your parents......:whis:
The stories my Mom could tell! :rolf:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Hello Everyone!:smile:

Well..... I am bummed at the moment! My doctor refused to give me Zyvox today even though I explained that I could not make it to Dallas until next week!:th_sigh: He gave me Bactrim, and I told him "that's what I was on, and the MRSA grew like wildfire on my knee!":th_skeptical: I got so sick, I had a headache, fever, pain, swelling, and sleepiness.
He prescribed it anyway, and I left feeling very down. I need something stronger than Bactrim to keep this awful MRSA at bay, and he just didn't listen!:th_2tantrum2:



 
Re: The Story of My Knees

I am so sorry sonja that is just not right. What was his reason for not prescribing the Zyvox ? That makes no sense for him to give you Bactrim if it does not work and makes the MRSA worse. :th_2hissy1:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

He did not feel comfortable prescribing Zyvox. I can understand that, because he is not an IS, but I really need a stop gap right now. :th_skeptical:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Can you not ring the IS at the hospital?
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Jo, the IS that I was seeing, has gone down to 1/2 day on Friday only! He is getting ready to retire and so the other one doesn't know anything about me. I don't have any idea how to get hold of him, but I do know that the MRSA is starting to rear its ugly head again, because I am getting extremely sleepy, have a headache, and the knee is getting hot and swollen again!:th_2hissy1:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

That is just awful and I am sorry you are in pain. The IS that is retiring should fill in his associate of your case so that you will be taken care of correctly.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Hello Everyone!:th_yahoo:

Enough with my pity party! There are people who have much worse than I do and I am thankful that God is taking care of me!:bow: What could be better than to know that!:smile:

Dr. Cochran, my original OS called in the Zyvox today, so I am covered until I see the doctor in Dallas.:thmb:

I met with my prayer partners, and we prayed for 3 1/2 hours tonight over various problems that each of us had. God has blessed me so much to have put these people in my life!


 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Well, that's a relief. And isn't it great to belong to a good prayer group. I so miss that.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonya, I always love reading your posts and thread. There is always so much hope and spirit. It's uplifting to me. Although I love the pity party posts too because then I feel as if I'm not alone.

Glad you found a way to get what you needed. Are you going to see the famed infected TKA revision specialist in Dallas (can't remember his name)? When is that happening? How far do you need to travel?
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonya, I always love reading your posts and thread. There is always so much hope and spirit. It's uplifting to me. Although I love the pity party posts too because then I feel as if I'm not alone.

Glad you found a way to get what you needed. Are you going to see the famed infected TKA revision specialist in Dallas (can't remember his name)? When is that happening? How far do you need to travel?

Mary thank you so much for your post!:snk:

I will see Dr. Maale in Dallas on Thursday and I am ready with MY CHOICES not his!:smile:

I will explain to him that my 1st priority is:

1. Getting rid of the MRSA, so the new knee is not re-infected
2. After the MRSA is eradicated, my 2nd choice is a knee replacement
3. Under NO circumstance am I willing to let him consider the possibility of cutting off my leg! I have had several other doc's opinions, and they are baffled as to why he would even say that.
4. I will ask to see his partner Dr. Casas since he is the one who told me he didn't want to replace my knee; he wanted to deal with the MRSA.

As far as the "pity parties" are concerned, I am sure I will have down days in the future. Such is the life of a knee replacement that likes to give me problems!:snk:

 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Well, that's a relief. And isn't it great to belong to a good prayer group. I so miss that.

Jo, you are so right! I had gotten away from church, and one of my prayer partner friends brought me back! It has made a big difference in my life!:th_yay:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Hello Everyone!:smile:

I went to PT today (my final day before I go back to Dallas) and they measured my extension and flexion for the doctor's report.
Chris pulled on my tennis shoe to make sure my leg was as straight as it would go, and pain shot through my knee! I am at +11 extension, and 82 flexion. I don't like those numbers!:th_skeptical: I wanted to be doing so much better by now!

MRSA has harmed the knee and it has tried to keep me down. It is one of the most painful infections that I have ever had. (I stepped on a rusty nail when I was a kid and it went through most of my foot, and that pain wasn't as bad as this!:cry2:)

Ok, enough with the sad stuff! I am still walking and I am going on that cruise in March! That is my carrot that is dangling at the finish line!:wink: (Of course, after the cruise, I will have my knee replaced. ):whis: I just need to make it until the cruise!:snk:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Yeah my ROM numbers are pretty bad too [cry].

I have a trip planned in March as well. Hoping things will be resolved by then but it seems I don't have a lot of control over this process.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Well good news! I had Katie put my kneecap back in place in therapy today and it took a while and a whole lot of icing, but I am out of pain again and able to walk!:th_yahoo: I know for some people that may not seem like a whole lot but for me every baby step is a milestone towards my cruise! I am really working on a positive rewards system to keep my spirits up.

After the cruise I will have the knee replaced if the MRSA is gone, and then I will be on my way to a "normal" life! What could be more rewarding than that!
:wink:

God is great all of the time! Even in the hard times, He is there to remind me that He loves me!:th_prayer2:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonja.....this has definitely been a tough couple of days for you. I'm so sorry!!! But, in your typical fashion, you are coming through it beautifully with a positive spirit....it is so inspiring to me!!!

I know the cruise is a priority for you and I pray that nothing keeps you from it! But, on the practical side.....have you thought about the possibility (even though it is slight) that something could prevent you from going? If you haven't done so, I urge you to purchase travel insurance so that you are covered in case you could not go or in case you happened to become sick while on the ship. We purchase that every time we cruise because you really never know what can happen.....MRSA or no MRSA. You pay a lot of money for these cruises and you don't want to risk it.

Now, that I've done my duty to be sure you are protected, I'll say I really believe you ARE going and I know you will have a fabulous time! No one ever deserved a pamper-filled cruise than you, my friend!!!:th_yay::th_yay:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonya,

Congrats on being able to walk again. Good news is, I guess, on a cruise you really don't have to be able to do a whole lot. Last year it was on our annual vacation that I blew out the remainder of my meniscus. I could not bend my leg enough to get in the car for two days because that big ol piece of meniscus was jamming the joint. I figured, hey, we're on vacation, so who cares? I laid in the lounge chair sunning and reading.

Would love to hear more about your positive rewards system. I need a "system" to get my spirits out of the rut!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Jamie,

We purchased travel insurance when we booked the cruise. I am trying not to think about the fact that we have the insurance though. It motivates me to keep going!:th_yahoo:

Mary,

I will write and tell you about my positive rewards program when I have a little more time.

I am heading to Dallas right now to meet Jenn and her Mom (Nancy)! I am so excited.:snk:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

:thmb: It will NEVER be mentioned again, Sonja! We will only speak of the joys of cruising which you will very soon discover.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom