Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* The Story of My Knees Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Story of My Knees

Hello Everyone! :D

Jo and Jamie.... Ta Da!:whis: I finally figured out how to put an avatar on the post!:rotfl: This picture was taken in 2006. It is out engagement picture. I have lost a lot of weight since then, but at least you get a face with the blog now!:D

Yesterday was going real well. I was eating a few:wink: peppermint kisses, drinking my dr. pepper, and RICEing like a good girl!:D

Mom came to visit making it even nicer.

My bro-in-law came over, and I am getting a little tired of him because I see him most of the day until about 11:00 at night. He has never lived by himself, and he is 52. My father-in-law ended up in the emergency room about 10:30 last night and I sent my hubby with Ronnie, my bro-in-law. He has a melanoma on his ear that is causing problems and they had him in the er until 4:00 a.m. this morning. I stayed up keeping tabs on everything so I am glad I had napped earlier. :wink:

The doctors are not going to do anything about his ear since he is in hospice and the pain is killing him. I guess I will have to get hold of Hospice on Monday and get this problem solved!:skp:

My knee is improving. I have stayed off of it most of the time:blush:, and it has helped!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Well - looky here! Well done! Nice to see you at last, Sonja.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonja...I'm confused....is it your father-in-law in Hospice and with melanoma? Why is the brother-in-law at your house all the time?
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Jamie, my father-in-law is in a nursing home and hospice is in charge. Ronny, my brother-in-law could not take care of him anymore. He is "socially incapable" and mentally challenged. He goes in to panic attacks when anything happens to his dad. Ronnie is the sweetest person I know and would do anything for anyone. The only problem is he has never been alone, and he is scared. He wants to be at our house if he is not at the nursing home. He only goes to his house to sleep. It is driving me bananas!:rant: If you tell him anything like "please go home" his feelings are hurt. He has a fiery temper and when his dad passes away he is going to go crazy.

My knee is feeling better today and I will be be ready to go back to PT tomorrow.:D
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Thanks, Sonja. Now I completely understand. Oh my....this IS a problem for you and your husband. Did your father-in-law make any provisions for Ronnie after his death? I can see this being a very difficult thing for you guys to deal with if something happens to your father-in-law. As if you don't have enough to deal with yourself.......(((HUGS)))), hon.......hang in there.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Thanks Jamie!

Yes, provisions have been made. My husband and I keep him with a pickup, and we gave him the trailer house. He has the car that his dad had. His dad is giving him all of the money from his retirement account. Pat and Gary, the other brother, have told their Dad that they don't want anything. Ronnie should be pretty well off after his dad is gone, but I don't know how he will survive. He needs someone to help him and I can't see us having him living with us.:shk:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Maybe you could arrange for some assistance services or get him to agree to an assisted living apartment. I suppose it depends on how your husband feels, but it's rarely a good idea to move someone into your household - parent or sibling - that needs care. It's just too great a strain. I lived with my parents for about 6 months to take care of both of them and believe me, I know the strain that comes with that. Hopefully you can avoid it.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

We are thinking about what we want to do. He is not going to live with us according to either Pat or I. It would definitely tear up the marriage and it is just not worth it. Assisted living might be an answer, we are going to check into MHMR for him to see if he qualifies.

I went back to the OS today and he told me he thought I had torn a lot of scar tissue around the kneecap. It still hurts, and I went back to PT today tried to do the best I could. I am so disappointed in my progress. I have so much scar tissue and I wish I were farther along!:skp:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Try not to let these little delays in your progress get you down, Sonja. You have come so far. Every day is a gift!! You're doing well, really....even with a step backwards now and then.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Yes Jamie, I need to work on the little progressions that I am seeing in PT I suppose, but when I see an 80 year old "zip" by me:D then I realize how far I have to go.

I know, focus on myself, don't worry about the progress other people are making, but I am getting so frustrated! I have so much scar tissue in and around the kneecap that it is causing considerable problems for me.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Hello Everyone!:D

I had a pretty good day today. I am trying to put a collage of pictures for my father-in-law.

How do I get rid of a Brother-in-law?!!!! He is here EVERY day until we kick him out at night when we go to bed.

Then he plans for the next day when he is coming over. Yippee!:shk: Not! My husband feels sorry for him and so won't say anything to him.

I have tried to tell him to go home, but he doesn't go. I am at the end of my rope and I am trying to tie the knot but I am afraid if I take a hand off to tie the knot, that I will fall!:doh:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Last chance to do the forum survey
If you haven't done it, please do it now
It will be gone by Monday​
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Hang in there, Sonja! You are an inspiration! It must be frustrating to deal with your brother in law. Is there any kind adult day care around? A community center where he can meet other people? I imagine his anxiety won't let him do that, it's too many new, strange things and he's most comfortable at your place with his brother nearby.

I'm just trying to think of some relief for you. You have enough on your plate!

(((((hugs!)))))
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

That's an excellent suggestion, Susie. But I think you're probably right that this is just too stressful a time for him to consider doing something that far out of the norm.

Sonja, can you establish some rules with him? You might say something like you need to have your mornings to do things you must do and he should not come to your house until after lunch. I really do think you need to establish some type of schedule for him. Write it down and give it to him so he can keep refering to it. Maybe you could even phase in a smaller amount of time that he is at your house that way....by cutting the hours every few days. You guys really MUST have some time to yourselves somewhere in there!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Thanks Susie and Jamie,

Ronnie is finally figuring things out!:D Well sort of!:skp: He stayed at his house ALL day today to winterize it. We called him to make sure he was ok because of his panic attacks, but he was fine.

Jamie, I like your idea of setting a schedule for Ronnie.
That would be great if I could get my hubby on board. He feels sorry for Ronnie right now.

I went to PT today and when I tried to do the straight leg lifts, I felt something "give" in my knee. Last Friday, I was able to lift the leg without any problems. I had the knot reappear next to my knee after I left PT. Anyone know what that means?
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

I don't know, Sonja....unless you managed to pull something in your leg. Do you have pain or is it just the knot and inability to do the leg lift?
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

When you 'tried to do straight lifts' something gave - and now the knot is back .... does this mean to say you can no longer do the straight lifts?
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Jo and Jamie,

No, I am not able to do straight leg lifts anymore. My quad muscle was getting stronger and the leg lifts were easy. Now, I can feel the twitching of the muscle, but the leg refuses to lift.

The PT assistant was lifting it for me and at first it was going ok. Suddenly, something in the kneecap area "popped":shk: and we stopped.

I am trying to do the leg lift from the sitting position and I can't lift it very high either. The knee still won't "track" and the kneecap pops all over the place. The pain is bad and it is so hard to get rid of all of the scar tissue that is in the knee area.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

I think a little trip to your surgeon would seem to be in order - if only for reassurance!

btw, Sonja, have you noticed the hit rate on this thread of yours? 24,488!!!!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

We DO care about you, hon!!! Don't you ever forget it! I'm glad you're going to see your surgeon on Monday. This seems odd to me and if I were you, I'd want to know exactly what is going on.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom