ConforMIS
Lounge Doctor

THR The other side!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Aww, sorry to read you’re dealing with pain due to overactivity. I hope you're only doing a ODIC drive-thru and not lingering there. There’s nothing like a stint in the Over Did It Club to remind us of our limitations. With any luck you’re feeling better on this special milestone day - Happy One Month Anniversary! Wishing you a good one. :)
@Ozinthedesert

OP
OP
O

Ozinthedesert

Country
In some ways, I can’t believe it’s been a month all ready. And then in others it has been the longest month ever. Looking back I have come along way and it truly is amazing given the major surgery I had. But I can’t help but be a little down and frustrated at not being further along in recovery. The material I got from my OS said I would be walking over a mile within 2-4 weeks. I still can’t walk without my cane without limping, or very far. I’m not sure I could walk a mile even with my cane. I have pain on the inside of my thigh any time I try to fully weight bear. OS last week said I had some inflammation still, and it will resolve and that it wasn’t a problem with the stem so I just have to give it time I guess. I’m still icing regularly and taking ibuprofen. I am wondering if I am just not pushing myself hard enough and I should be doing something to strengthen those muscles which seem to be quite weak. There must be a line between letting the hip heal itself and doing something that will help the process? I don’t want to do anything that will prolong healing, but I want to make sure I am doing what I can to aid my recovery.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I am wondering if I am just not pushing myself hard enough and I should be doing something to strengthen those muscles which seem to be quite weak.
Your muscles are not weak - they are healing. You are not in training for anything. And your surgeon's suggestion that you will be walking over a mile in 2-4 weeks - well he/she obviously has not recovered from THR. That is totally unrealistic.

Stop pushing. Focus on the slow and steady approach. Ice, elevate and walk short distances. Your hip will tell you when it is ready to do more.

Mimiluves2

Country
The recovery journey continues. My leg is still heavy but I can lift it a little now. The pain is more manageable and I can walk a little easier. Although, I haven’t ventured too far and I’m still using the walker. I have noticed I’m bearing more weight on my leg too. How did people know when they were ready to give up the walker? And did you go to a cane or use no aids at all? My OS said I would likely need to the walker for 3-5 days and while I am not leaning on it as heavily as I was I definitely don’t think I can walk without it and I definitely can’t stand up without using something to help. Ice is still my best friend beyond anything else!

Eman85

post-grad
Country
It's frustrating but the biggest aid to healing faster is to just rest and heal. For me with my first it seemed the more I did the slower it went so I tried to act like I learned something and really did nothing with my second. No real difference in the outcome but a lot less pain along the way.

Woodstockhip

Country
I knew when I was ready to give up the walker when I found myself halfway across the room without it! I kept it close by for night time bathroom visits. Once you are able to release the death grip on it, it won't be long!

OP
OP
O

Ozinthedesert

Country
I’ve been off the walker a while now @Woodstockhip and using the cane. I do walk off without that especially in the kitchen - it’s just easier! But gosh I limp badly when I don’t use it. And when I put full weight on my leg I get pain in a very specific spot on my inner thigh. It’s not the entire thigh, or even the entire inner thigh. I can point specifically to where it hurts. I have another appointment with my dr in a couple weeks so if it doesn’t ease I will certainly ask him about it. He wasn’t concerned last week.

I appreciate everyone’s advice and support. I know I’m still healing and have a way to go. I am trying to adjust the unrealistic expectations I had and embrace this long term journey I am on.

Eman85

post-grad
Country
Everyone's recovery is different and I can tell you that my 2 hips were different even having the same OS. My left had complications so expected it to be worse, didn't turn out that way. My right was supposed to be simple and it hurt a lot more. I could move my left any way I wanted post op including leg lifts the day after surgery. My right had log leg and I could not lift it for quite some time. My right has given me inner thigh pain/weakness and glute pain/weakness that my left didn't. I still get pains in my right at times with certain movements. If I do simple clamshells with my right the first one or 2 give me a sharp pain, then it stops. But I know it's soft tissue and the deep joint ache is long gone. I was cutting and splitting big logs yesterday and moving the large pieces I would sometimes get that pain in my thigh. But it was fine last night and no pain today.

Softtail

senior
Country
Ozinthedesert just catching up on your recovery and see you are bummed out a bit. I would not be concerned at all about any pain you are experiencing putting full weight on your leg at this point. With my left leg I vividly remember it taking much longer putting full weight on it than with my right. Could be inflammation , muscle soreness, or who knows what, but having gone thru it on both hips I do know they were completely different in their recovery. At your age you have many years on that new hip and once healed it will feel terrific . I am a jock and have a jock friend that at 55 had right hip replaced. 6 months later he was back playing basketball. That’s not on my agenda at 72, but am amazed how good my new hips feel allready.

OP
OP
O

Ozinthedesert

Country
Time has lost all meaning to me this year. I can’t believe it is almost Thanksgiving and can’t believe Monday marks 7 weeks since my surgery. I started PT this past week. Some very gentle stretching and some very light massage on some very tight muscles felt so good and reduced my aches and pains significantly and got me walking a lot smoother. The therapist recommended using heat and that has helped a lot too. Walking with that swinging hip waddling movement takes concentration especially when I am tired. I am taking it slow and easy but gosh it feels good to start being even a little bit active.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Doddy
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom