Guest viewing is limited

TKR The Knees and Me - staged

Pssst: My tkr knee was also 4 inches fatter than my natural knee. It took about 3 solid weeks to shrink down to about 1 inch larger than the original issue. It's been shrinking in micro numbers since then. Hopefully, yours is on a bit of a faster track!
 
Is that where you put your bad foot on a pair of underpants and use your good foot to push yourself along? Or is it the process of getting into underwear?

I can get into underwear, just don't ask me to get into panty hose! My Sumo moves aren't back yet :happyfeet:
 
That's it @rubyyarn! You've got this, lol! I don't know about you, but those first 2-3 weeks for me seemed to mostly involve rushing to the bathroom for copious urination. I struggled so much with the underwear at that time, I took to going commando, lol. If you can make a leak-proof journey in a timely fashion to your bathroom, my hat's off to you!:heehee:
 
Knee #2, Day 9

Since coming back from the hospital, I've been measuring my knee every morning. It is now down to 15" even, down from 15.75 when I began measuring. The pain is still there, grinding away, and I still take Percocet every 5 hours, but I can move better. I can also lift my leg on and off of the bed without DH's assistance. Solo bathroom trips are in the future!

I've also decided to swear off reading threads talking about awful stuff. If depression is a part of this recovery, I don't need to enhance the experience by reading about failed implants and psycho surgeons. I like the happy endings that usually come, but right now I don't want to think about stuff going wrong.

Still doing the Pillow Dance at night. What I really want to do is sleep on my side, but that ain't happening just yet. Once I can achieve solo bathroom trips, I'll be able to slip out to the recliner when I need a change of scenery.

:catdance:
 
Yes, the solo bathroom trips. I remember the first time I was able to get up without waking up my DH. I felt like I had achieved a major milestone. It was a major milestone, who am I kidding!

I'm so happy the swelling is going away, you will feel so much better. You really are doing well.
I love the little kitty doing flips and cartwheels, that's how we feel trying to get comfortable in bed most nights.
 
Hope you can sleep on your side soon. It might be a while, but you already know your side-sleeping will return.

Happy outcomes are not only more fun to read, they're also more common. People happy with their recoveries generally don't seek out online forums looking to spread the good news. Like you, I prefer reading about good recoveries and all the good that comes to people's lives from their joint replacements. :happydance:

Congrats on the leg lifts and the soon-to-be solo bathroom trips!
 
I never thought much about what to wear while attending a knee recovery. @Pheebs52 's comment made me think. If ringing phones can be a disaster, I can imagine the combo of a full bladder and a long way to the toilet! Add a wide walker and wandering pets...oh, dear...

Pheebs, I'd ditch the underwear too :) A long nightshirt hides many sins. No need to be fancy, yes?
 
You're doing great! Pain? Of course, but it won't last forever..it will just seem like it! Soon, it will be a slight glance in the rearview mirror! At 4 wks, I said “I QUIT! I'm DONE with this! “ ha! Ha! You know how THAT ended.
If this will encourage you, I'll give you a quick look at my week 11 weekend.....2 hr ride to ATL, 1 hr ballet performance with Grand Darling, 2 hr dinner following ballet, slept at daughter's house ( strange bed! ), 2 hr ride home with a 1 hr detour for retail therapy then a 1 hr lunch, then 1 more hr home! And that was just Sat & Sun!!! And I have not stopped this week until this afternoon when I pooped out! NOW, that should give you something to look forward to...... :heehee: Big HUG! You've GOT this! And by New Year you will be dancing in the street!
 
@rubyyarn am glad you got #2 done and over with and are on the recovery side of things. I am asking my OS for a plan on my #2 at my next appointment.
 
@JJ65, I'm glad the deed is done too. This recovery seems to be following the other one. I don't remember this much pain, but I'm sure it was there. I seem to remember crying because it wouldn't stop. I also wondered why I ever chose this surgery.

Now I remember the mountain at my great-neice's wedding and thinking "If I had another good knee I could climb this!"

Everything in it's time.
 
@rubyyarn, I have a stockpile of flannel nightshirts if you'd like to borrow a few, lol. Yes, long trip to the bathroom+walker+underwear=hazardous, the first two weeks or so, when it seems as if the bladder will never stop being such a nag. I forget what that's all about, but it was a very real phenomenon for me.....hence, *commando.* As such, congratulations on no longer needing an official escort to the potty; woot!

Helen just gave you a splendid peek into a not too distant future! Hang onto the thought about the mountain at that wedding 'cuz it's a good one!

Though it's not always easy to stay on the bright side of the road, it really does help. Your sense of humor is your best friend. Think about it; you don't have to keep her in the freezer and she doesn't cause constipation. I call that a win/win!
 
@Pheebs52, I try to see the silly side of life 'cause it is always there. DH recalls me moaning & groaning this time last knee, so I guess it's knee business as usual.

Made a couple of midnight bathroom runs without waking DH. The moon was bright so I didn't have to turn on a light.

Have you looked at any more houses since your trip to Maine?
 
Just continuing to look online right now Ruby! Hubby has not retired yet, so visits in real life have to wait for weekends.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
What a great attitude, @rubyyarn! You're a funny lady.
Forgetting the walker is a great signal - it either means your leg felt stronger and steady - or that you didn't feel as much pain reminding you to use it. I remember getting down the hall without mine the first time and realizing I'd left it behind. Huh, I said to myself, look at me standing in front of the bathroom - now can I make it back to the family room couch?" And I did.
 
Knee #2, Day 11

The other day someone asked DH how things were going and he said "We're just doin' time". That about covers it. Put in the time, wait for healing to happen. Sit and ache. Pop pills and wait. Look for patience in odd corners. Sleep. Doin' time.

Think I'll get some ice cream and maybe download something trashy to the Kindle...
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom