TKR The Knees and Me - staged

Good luck today with staple removal and yay for you getting around at home without the walker!
 
Got the staples out today...aaaahhh...relief! The appointment was at 10:15 so there was a wait. That was rough, so I did some walking to keep the pain at bay. The doc was pleased with my x-rays and my bend, so I'm good to go for another month.

I do have fluid above the kneecap, though. Doc said rhat was a normal result of surgery and would go away.

DH took the scenic route over the mountain. Because I was in the back seat, that winding road left me green around the gills :sick:

Spent the afternoon sleeping and icing :ice:
 
Hope you are resting comfortably @rubyyarn! I know what a big relief it is to get rid of those :censored:staples! I'm a bit green around the gills just reading about your backseat ride over a winding mountain road; eeuuuww! But, it's over and you are staple and walker-free!:happydance:
 
@SusieShoes, your emoji says it all. Ol' sourpuss went out of his way to misrepresent this site, as if he had nothing better to do. Phooey on 'im!

Without BoneSmart, I would have worried myself to death.

ooooooohhhh i must go there ~ i love getting into internet fights...hehe. just kidding! :whistle:rubyyarn, that's great that your surgeon thought your x-rays and r.o.m. was good and the swelling was normal.
 
Last edited:
Congrats, rubyyarn. Sorry for the backseat blues - hope they were short lived. And Hooray: No staples, a nap and ice! Lovely.
 
Staples out? Check
Resting with ice? Check
Motion sickness? No, no, no!!

Hope everything has settled!
 
I think everything is settled down now. That long excursion may have put me in the ODIC though. Even a Percocet/Tylenol cocktail didn't create much sleep last night. Then the cat kept trying to steal my spot in the bed.

Amber, you're cute and fuzzy, but some things ain't happening :kittykiss:
 
A long excursion this early on is bound to lead to exhaustion and unhappy knees. At your early stage, it doesn't take much to make a knee unhappy. :nah: You're doing great!

Funny about your cat! Good thing you have the size advantage! The human gets to have whatever spot in bed she wants.
 
@rubyyarn, I looked in my Crystal Ball this morning and predict a day of many naps, ice and elevation for you. That first visit to the OS at just 2 weeks post-op, is a bit rough. I didn't have a long drive to mine, and there were no mountain roads involved, but....the waiting seemed interminable. I had to get up and cruise the hallway several times 'cuz those waiting room chairs are the pits after TKR, I mean, where are the recliners or at least footstools, right? As such, I'm sure last night you were feeling the combined effects of the ride, the waiting, and the staple removal. Those are mighty forces on a brand new knee that just wants to ice and elevate!

As for Amber, well....what Susie said! But, Amber knows something's *off* with *Mama* and I'm sure she just wants to comfort you. I know both my dogs did and miraculously, neither went anywhere near my knee. They just seemed to know it was a "No Go Zone." We did have some pillow fights though, lol.
 
@rubyyarn, I just caught up with you--was in a place with spotty internet for several days. You described some pain-free times and some successes, like not using your walker at home. These are great for how recent your surgery has been! That car trip sounds a bit challenging, especially after your doctor visit. I agree with @Pheebs52. Why don't these OS offices have supportive furniture?? I wish for you a short stay in the ODIC. You deserve a bit of rest and icing.

My cat has had the same behaviors. I think Pheebs is onto something. She (my cat, not Pheebs!) seemed to sense that something was wrong, and her reaction was to want to lie on my feet at night, to drape herself on my lap with her head right on the TKR knee, etc. :no-fin::groan: Amber loves you! :kittykiss:
 
Yes, Amber has been spending her nights on the bed rather than just nearby. And for the last few nights she has been sleeping up against my shoulder. She does walk across my knee, though, when she thinks it is time to get up. She used to do that to DH, but has learned that I give a faster reaction (!)
 
Knee #2, Day 18

Last night we had the bedroom window closed...and Amber was nowhere to be seen. She must have a mouse treed somewhere. I rather doubt she would tangle with the giant spider that crawled up my recliner the other day...

The knee is still improving...but you know you aren't there yet when taking a shower leaves you winded :sigh:
 
I believe our pets know when we need a little extra TLC and come to give it to us! The only bad experience I had was when my 'big boy' jumped on my newly operated on knee and I let out a huge scream. He didn't do that again for a long time! I love to have my kitties snuggle up against me!
 
Knee #2, Day 20

I guess I didn't have as much energy stored for this knee as I did for the other one. Stuff I managed easily last time are a real chore now. I can walk around the house, shower, etc., but puff and blow afterwards. I am sooo tired of sitting! PT next week, maybe that will perk up the ol' bod. Meanwhile I'm :dead:
 
You are probably still feeling some energy drain from the last surgery and now an additional drain from the new one, so more energy drain now from the combined.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom