PKR The Knee Replacement Train Rehab Station

Status
Not open for further replies.
I go to a water aerobics class.. not a real hydrotherapy session.. but everyone there knows about my knees and I basically do my own thing and participate in the group stuff as long as it doesn't bother my knee. I just do my PT exercises in the water. I do this through the local community college and it is 35.00 a month for twice a week. You might look around and see if you have community program... I live in a really small town and was surprised to find it offered. I do know when I get home from an hour in the pool I always crash on the couch, exhausted!
 
I wish there were an option other than my local YMCA @hbacres but there isn't. I have a filled out the application for membership, with the hopes of receiving some financial aid that they offer for those unable to afford membership. If they say I don't qualify, I am out of luck for the use of a pool once my PT ends.
My insurance covered 18 pt sessions and of those, 4 will be in the pool.
I really hope we get a reduced cost membership, because they hold numerous water classes a week ~ including ones designed for arthritis sufferers. :)
 
I will cross my fingers that you are able to get a membership! It really is a nice way to mix up your exercises, I hope you get to continue.
 
Glazed, I dearly hope that you'll be able to swing the Y membership.

I'm fortunate that our health insurance offers free gym membership. It's in the same building as my outpatient PT. Looking for the OS approval for my exercise plan (using NuStep and walking laps in heated pool) going forward. Oh, and the hot tub, the hot tub. My knee book has flexibility exercises to do in the hot tub. I'll just have to make the sacrifice ;-)

Seeing the OS in the morning. Girding my loins to ask about continuation of pain meds. I'm thinking I can manage without the Percocet but the Hydrocodone really makes my overnight and morning pain manageable.

Jacki
 
Hi @nana moon and everyone else too :)

Sorry I've been missing this week. Have had a lot going on with hubby catching the flu after me and now it seems my daughter has come down with it too. No fun.
At any rate, my knee feels ok for the most part but I am experiencing an odd pain directly in the middle of the medial side of my knee. Not constant by any means, but it has happened a few times this evening, while lying in bed. A very sharp stabbing pain right in that one spot. Nearly takes my breath away, then it eases. I don't know if it's normal, if anyone else experiences anything like it or if I'm the lucky one. PT has been going very well. Had my 2nd session at the pool and that was wonderful. My ROM was 118 yesterday.
I also finally went and had an hour massage today! Oh boy I was a puddle of jello at the end! An expensive treat...would be so nice to be able to afford it regularly! A girl can dream lol.
I suppose I should ask Josephine about this weird pain, huh?
Anyway that's about all for now.
:)

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Hi @glazed151 I'm glad you're ok. The knee pain is weird. So many people inc myself are complaining about it. I don't know what's going on, very strange x x x x
 
Hi @glazed151 sorry about the earlier post. It was 2.30 am and I was under the influence of morphine and it was not a good post.
I hope you've made a full recovery from that nasty flu. I hope your daughter gets better really soon x it's lovely to hear from you. Sorry to say this to you but are you still taking your meds regularly?

I think all these weird pains are part of this weird and wonderful recovery process. I find sometimes mornings can be murder. I wake up with my knee at funny angles and it hurts. I do find that if I do the heels slides, leg raises and the towel under the back of the knee, that this kind of gets it going first thing of a morning.

I hope that you slept eventually and are not too uncomfortable today. My knee feels strange.

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Good Morning / Afternoon ;)
@Nana moon 27
I sure can relate to the middle of the night posts! I've learned not my write emails at 3 a.m. hahahaha!
The knee feels ok this morning. What I call my "normal" level of stiffness. I to like to do a round of stretching before getting up. It does seem to make a big difference. The weird pain I am experiencing is just that...weird. Very localized in one spot. Does not migrate and varies between a dull pressure/ache if my knee is bent to a sharp stabbing sensation if my leg is straight. I have looked at the chart and read all I can find on here and elsewhere. Things seem to be pointing to a possible strain of which ever tendon is right there. But what do I know? LOL!
I am walking with less of a limp and only use a crutch when I leave the house (as per dr. instructions) My pain meds are as normal as well. 2 Tramadol & Tylenol morning and night. I think I'm good with this dose, but I suppose I could try adding an afternoon dose for a few days to see if that changes things. I really am not over doing it. Have left my house 4 times in the past week. Once for a short trip for groceries, and the others to go to pt. Yesterday was the longest I've been "outside" in forever! PT at the pool and then straight to the massage and then home....so hardly anything at all really!
Sleeping, while not perfect, has improved some. I judge by when I am sleepy enough to turn off the tv and actually fall asleep and not just lay there. For the past few nights it's been by 1:15 a.m. which is a lot better than the 2 or 3 it was for weeks and weeks. A few nights I was still awake when hubby awoke at his usual 4:30! I pretty much awake by 7 every morning, regardless of when I fall asleep. My daughter is a junior in high school, so it's not a dire need I be up get her out the door thankfully! She's actually quite wonderful about getting herself up and out the door. Not sure how I lucked out on getting her! :)
I must say that while it's no fun for any of us going through this whole situation, it is really nice knowing we aren't doing it alone! I hope you too were able to get some level of sleep and that your day is going well. Right now it's 8:30 am and I'm watching the news waiting for the meds to kick in. I keep looking out the window to see of the snow has started but not yet. I can't quite agree with Mother Nature, she seems to think we need another storm. They are predicting 6-8 inches, although being on the coast we often will get a nasty mix of snow/freezing rain. I live 3 blocks from the ocean, and while I can not imagine being anywhere else, it does have it's downside!
Anyways, I am hoping to maybe venture out for.a bit of easy shopping this afternoon. Hubby's Mom has her birthday this coming Sunday and we need to find the perfect gift. Uh...hmmm lol! She has everything so it's difficult. Thankfully we get along really well. I don't have either of my parents alive, so I am always telling hubby to be grateful he still has his.
Ok...enough ramblings
Thinking about you!
Caryn

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
@Josephine
Good morning, I hope this message finds you well.
I have a question about a weird pain I have been experiencing. I have looked at the chart and I would say that it is located in the RF2D spot, though I am not 100% sure of this, as my pain is completely medial. I took a picture of the spot so you could see exactly.
I would describe it as alternating between a very sharp stabbing pain to a dull achy feeling. It is very localized, and I feel no pain anywhere other than this 1 inch diameter spot.
My pain meds are the same and my activities do not seem to influence the pain one way or another. Last night for instance, I was laying in bed and out of no where it was as if I was being stabbed in this one specific spot. It was awful for about 2 or 3 minutes and then eased up to nearly non existent.
I am unsure if it's normal knitting healing pain or if there is something going on with the tendon located there?
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Caryn

I was unable to attach the picture to this post, so I posted it in the next. Thank you again.


Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[Bonesmart.org] The Knee Replacement Train Rehab Station


Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Hi @glazed151 I'm not having a very good day pain wise. I upped the morphine and took paracetamol religiously. I am still I'm pain I cannot get comfortable. I've made some good but that's all oh and put washing out.

It's affecting me because I'm crying again because I'm so fed up of it x. Hope that the weather holds long enough for your shopping. I wish you luck it is hard buying gifts at the beat of times x x x x x
 
A bit after 2 am here and it looks as if there will be no sleep for me tonight. The pain in my leg is awful. I took my normal dose of tramadol at 9 but I just took an oxy because I am in so much pain. It's as if someone is driving a hot needle into the inner side of my knee. Still very localized to this one spot, it seems to back off to a duller ache for a while, but then back to the stabbing pain. My position does.not seem to have much effect on the pain. Straight or bent, it feels the same.
Ugh!
I have a loud snoring hubby beside me, making me grumpier by the minute. I need to go downstairs for more ice :( maybe I'll just park myself on the couch where it's only the dog I will hear snoring.
Not sure if anyone else is out there fighting the no sleep battle.
I hope not...


Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Hi @glazed151 can you get an appointment with your doctor just to check it out? I think it may be an idea to do just that. Lack of sleep is horrible and lying there listening to snoring is the pits. I've had a very restless night x x x I feel drained x I hope you managed to get even just a couple of hours x x x
 
@Josephine,
I was under the impression from what I've read that ITB causes pain on the outside of the knee, not medially?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
@Nana moon 27 , and all
Morning...I was finally able to fall asleep a bit after 4 am. UGH!
I was awake again at my normal 7, but managed to dose back off util 9. My knee pain continues to be as mysterious as it has been. Right now I feel zero pain, thankfully. Maybe it will continue!
I did just get off the phone with my Dr. I am to lay in bed all day today elevated with ice. I can go to my scheduled PT at 3:30, but to do only easy stuff and an extra long session with the Estim.
He wants to see me Monday if the pain is still present.
I am to also have an easy weekend, though to be honest I do not in any way agree that I have been overdoing it at all!!!
I have done nothing extra, I hardly leave my house. 90% of my day is spent in bed with ice. If I were over doing it, it seems to me that I would be in much more constant pain...not a weird stabbing pain that comes out of no where and lasts for only a few minutes and then disappears. It does not hurt at all when I walk, not when I go up or down stairs. It only seems to come at me when I am NOT moving.
Josephine said "Without a doubt that is ITB (ilio-tibial band) " I can only find information on that causing pain on the outside of the knee, there is nothing that even mentions medial pain with this, and truthfully my Dr. wasn't on board with it either.
Oh well. I will do as directed, and see where I am at Monday morning.
 
Oh - well I looked at your date of surgery and the scar on your knee so it appeared that it was on your right knee.
Colour me wrong but you are pointing to the lateral side of your right knee -- no?
Or is the picture flipped?

If it really is the medial side then it's the Pes anserinus and the same advice applies.
 
It is a picture of right knee :) it's my left hand pointing at the spot on the inner medial side.
Thank you so much for the clarification. I will do exactly as you suggest with the massage.
I'm elevating and icing as we speak and thankfully it isn't bothersome right now.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Hi @glazed151 I'm ever so glad you got to speak to your doc. It's frustrating this situation at times. How is your weather? Is it as bad as expected? I know it's boring resting and I am like you 90% stuck in the house. Ooh it drives me to distraction sometimes x x x x x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom