Guest viewing is limited

PKR The Knee Replacement Train Rehab Station

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Josephine

Today has been exceptionally rough and I need to ask you a question. At yesterday's PT appt (which was very relaxed and easy) my therapist remarked at the redness and warmth of my knee in comparison to the other. I asked her if I should be concerned and she said "Well if it continues, I think you should call your Dr."
My question is, exactly how much difference is considered normal? She said my scar looks excellent and shows no sign of infection, though it is still tender to the touch in a spot or 2, but I assume this to be normal.
I always search the library, before pestering you, but I couldn't find anything. Did I miss a topic discussing this?

I admit to being a bit bleary eyed. Last night was very little sleep. Took meds as usual at 9 but was still awake at midnight. Woke at 3 in horrid pain, from which I think stems from my moving in my sleep. I have never been a back sleeper, so adjusting to this position has been trying at best. Upon waking I knew my leg was not in the same place as I put it. I ended up taking an Oxy at 3:30 a.m. I haven't taken one of those in ages as the Tramadol is working well. I finally dozed off again around 5 and was up at 7:30. Today has been all rest, elevating and ice but I am just really achy-ish. My thigh and shin feel weird, though my knee actually feels pretty decent, but there is a distinct difference in color and temp from the other. I asked Hubby to look and feel and he said it was obvious to him as well.

I hope you have a bit of insight for me. Thanks in advance.
Caryn
 
Your PT does not seem to have much experience with TKRs then as this warmth and redness is quite usual, especially if you have pain. You need to ice more when it's like this. And if you wake in the night, take another Tramadol, not something else. Generally it's always best to stick with one kind of medication. especially if it's working for you. Personally, I've never had much faith in oxycodone. It doesn't seem to hit the spot somehow. Tramadol does.
 
My knee was like a little furnace for at least a month and it was fine. Gradually the heat reduced.
 
Thanks for the reply @Josephine.
I am icing nonstop and elevating too. The redness and heat was higher on my thigh which is why I was concerned. I normally see the same therapist, but this occurred during a session with a new therapist as mine was ill.
I took the oxy in the night only because I was instructed to do that by my discharge papers. They said use the oxy for break through pain on between my normal doses of tramadol if needed.

@kneeper
Good to know it's normal. Just such a long list of things they never tell you it seems.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
In the middle of another snowstorm with 10 - 18 more inches predicted over night.
I'm fighting off what seems to be the flu and I'm just all around grumpy.
Was told by pt yesterday to give myself a break for the weekend and do nothing strenuous at all. Kinda of a relief to hear that and I'm taking full advantage. Did a few slides this afternoon and a whopping 3 lifts and called it a day.
Was told I am at a 2 extention and ROM of 95 ,which truthfully kinda bummed me out.
Trying not to be discouraged....but I actually used the words "I wish I'd never done it! " to hubby tonight.
He's been a rock and just listened to me complain non stop. Now he's snoring and I'm watching Friends ~ my late night ritual.
I'm hopeful tomorrow will bring clear skies and a clearer mindset as well.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Not sure what to attribute it to ~ 3 solid days of laying in bed with ice and zero pt perhaps, but I woke up yesterday feeling the best I have since surgery.

We decided to venture out to the mall so I could begin shopping for my daughter's upcoming 17th birthday. Ended up staying out for about 6 hours! It was wonderful! I think it worked out so well because there was an hour lunch in the middle and I also sat down at one store simply because I could, not that I felt I needed to.

I only felt very minor soreness on the ride home and I really do mean minor. I thought perhaps I'd wake today and really be sore but no! I woke to find my knee actually feeling great! There is no major swelling or tightness. I'm so glad. PT this afternoon and I am looking forward to it.

Another big storm bearing down on us so I may be house bound for another few days. I know these great few days may be followed by another round of rough ones, but I wanted to make sure I put it in writing so I could look back and see that I did in fact have a great stretch, lol!!


Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Oh my gosh! That is fantastic! You must be over the moon. Now don't go and ruin it all by going mad!
 
@Josephine :thankyou:
I promise, I will not over do it. Feels way to good to ruin, that's for sure.
Pt went great, and I am officially at 105 ROM. Simply amazed that a few days can change so much. Off to bed I go with my trusty ice.
Oh, another bit of good news...my insurance approved an additional 6 PT appointments, thereby allowing me to begin pool therapy next week. I will be doing 2 x a week at the hospital as I have been and once a week at the local YMCA for therapy. I am so happy:dancy:. Course, now I have to find my bathing suit, something I have never needed in February in Maine before:giggle:
 
Just home from my first appointment with my knee surgeon since the operation. First thing, I had to go and have a set of x-rays done then I spent about 20 minutes talking to my Dr. He said everything looks exactly as it should. My scar looks excellent and there are zero concerns for him that it will give me any trouble going forward. My range of motion of 105 pleased him greatly and my inability to fully raise & straighten my leg from a bent position is also exactly what he would expect to see.

I have been released to perform any daily activity I feel comfortable doing "within reason". He said I can begin pool therapy as soon as they can get me in! I should continue to use my crutches as I see fit and my pain meds as well. He compared the doses I am taking now in comparison to my first night of the surgery when my nerve blocks failed as "A mouse next to an elephant!" I go back to see him in 6 weeks, and at that appointment we will discuss when I can return to work.

We also talked a great deal about my left knee, which has obviously has been doing double duty. Actually he said it's more like triple duty! He said that he recommends waiting as long as I can to have another surgery, mainly to allow my right to heal. I had such a horrible experience with pain control the night of the surgery, and he is concerned that my body will reject the nerve blocks again. He said we will have to have a serious discussion about how we will proceed when the time comes. I am fine with this, as I can not imagine having to deal with that type of pain again so soon!

My left knee was not damaged nearly as bad in the accident as my right one was, but we both know it is only a matter of time before it will need to be dealt with. If I can make it another year, I will be quite happy.

All in all, I am thrilled with where I am, being only just 3 days shy of 6 weeks post op. The bad days seem to be fewer and further apart. I fully expect more hard days are ahead, and there will be more moments of frustration and pain but I think I can finally see that there is a light at the end of the tunnel....it'll be a while yet before I reach it, but it's there! :yes!:
 
That all seems so positive, well done, you must be really pleased. Hopefully it all continues to go well and you can enjoy the summer.
I am seeing my OS for my six week check on Monday, and I also have to discuss my other knee, I can't decide what to do. I've booked a cortisone injection for next Thursday already, I might try an arthroscopy, I don't think I'm ready to go through the whole TKR again so soon.
 
Hi @glazed151, ooh I did enjoy reading today's post off you! I think my OS is going to say the same to me as your said to you about the left knee. I am not in hurry for this type of surgery in a hurry but if it needs an arthroscopy then so be it and I would rather they did it now rather than later!!!! You are doing so well. I am just short of seven weeks for my appointment but that is because of problems in hospital I was in for nine days!!! So it delayed my six weeks appointment.

I hope you have a nice evening love Nana moon27 xxxoxoxoxooxooxxxx
 
@Nana moon 27 @Ellejay and all

Today has been difficult.
I was really excited to wake after a solid 6 hours of sleep. I was all "woooo hoooo!"
And then I got up!
I realized very quickly that I just didn't feel good. Stiff and achy all over and a slight cough. Leg was extra stiff too.

I've done absolutely nothing all day other than watch TV in bed with ice.
About 2 hours ago I noticed I was feeling a bit worse and very chilled, so I took my temp. It was 99.6 then. It was 100.4 as of 20 minutes ago :(
I've taken my tramadol dose early and a slug of cough syrup. I so do not want to be sick!
I have a full day of fun tomorrow planned.
Hubby scheduled an hour massage for my Valentine's Day present and I'm also having my hair done for the first time since December as well as my first pool therapy session.
I can't be sick!!!
I am going to will myself well.
Wish me luck.


Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom