PKR The Knee Replacement Train Rehab Station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @glazed151 just read one of your earlier posts regarding your rom of 95 etc. I am seven weeks in. My rom is 105 and -4 so don't worry you're doing just fine x x x x x we all do differently. Just wanted to reassure you x x x x x x
 
Hi @nana moon
Thanks for checking in on me :)
Unfortunately, I am feeling wretched. Fever of just over 100 still and achy all over. I sound sort of like a dying seal with my cough.
Guess there is no denying it, I have the flu.
Have called and canceled all of my appointments. I am very disappointed but the last thing I want to do is make anyone else sick.
I suppose the therapy pool will wait for me but I must say that I was really looking forward to my hair being done and the massage.
:'(
Hope you managed to get sleep last night.
Talk soon.
Caryn


Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
3:38 a.m.
I am really starting to hate this no sleeping stuff
I'm still running a fever, though it keeps fluctuating. Cough syrup has kept the chest rattling cough at bay thankfully. I was hoping it would knock me out...so much for that idea.
Not sure how it is in the UK , but the flu has been horrible here this year. I really did think I had slid through another season without catching it (been years since I did) as it's nearly March.
Perhaps going to the hospital 3 x a week for pt put me in it's path.
Haven't called my os as my knee feels normally abnormal (hahaha) but if I'm still feeling awful in another day I will call my regular dr.
Perhaps I spoke to soon about the cough syrup as I just had a major coughing fit. Ouch...my chest is on fire. Guess I'll call my dr in the daylight after all.
Sorry for middle of night ramblings. ..though if anyone understands, it's you all.
Talk soon.
Caryn

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I'm so sorry it turned out like that for you, I do hope you can just put things off for another day. Hope you feel better soon. xx
 
The battle against the flu continues. My fever staying right around 101.5 give or take.
I've spoken to my regular family doctor, who says there's nothing to be gained by an office visit.
I'm to do the typical flu fighting regime of non stop fluids and tylenol. I feel absolutely horrid.
I've also been kind enough to infect the hubby.
:'(
On a happier note the knee actually feels good...unless it's just the rest of me aches so bad it just feels great.
Hahahahaha.
Wish me luck in the war.
I've not the energy to read anything from you all, forgive me. I hope your all doing ok.
Hugs!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
The flu sucks but at least you are resting albeit not sleeping--really that and pushing the fluids is about all that will help. Maybe a good thing about finally getting it is it might motivate you to get a flu shot for next flu season--I had not had the flu since my early teens until last winter and it sure made a believer out of me--myself, the DH, the Ancient Mother all down with it at once. We were a sorry bunch. Hope you feel better soon.
 
Feel better soon. This flu can be a real bear!!! You're doing the right stuff, though. Now it's just time.
 
Wow @glazed151 I just read through your whole thread and you've got quite a story to tell!

When it comes my time, I'm concerned about people saying "oh you're young you should be healing faster", or " you're young you can handle it" blah, blah, blah, etc. That unfortunately isn't the case. I wish we could convey that to our healthcare providers though.
 
@ redrider . Being young is one thing but being active , athletic and physically healthy, non smoker or drinker and competive really helps at any age. Probably wouldnt hurt to have a high tolerance to pain. Dont sell yourself short. Its painful but theres factors. Alot of people have no issues at all so they dont go posting on forums much less seek one out. Its very unfortunate , many people have post op issues but they are the minority, as now the numbers 700,000 tkr performed annually. And rising. @glazed151 , sorry to hear about your flu. I hope you get well and back to focusing on your recovery. Best of luck
 
Hi @RedRider :)
It has been an adventure for sure! I just read your thread, it seems as if you've also been down a long road leading you to this point.
I've spent the majority of my life trying to explain to people - doctors included exactly why I can't do certain things.
'Oh you're afraid to learn to ski?' with a sad smile when I tell someone I've never been. Or 'Oh your knees hurt today?' If I ever mentioned it because they were extra bad. They ALWAYS hurt, lol. I was just really good at dealing with the pain.
When the accident first happened there was a discussion with my parents about a possible replacement then...but thankfully that wasn't needed and I managed to get 27 additional years before it was no longer an option. I had lots of other stuff done over the years but nothing like this.

Are you still planning on waiting till fall for yours? I made the decision to do mine in winter for 2 reasons. 1. My job is much slower in winter and 2. I figured being housebound for roughly 3 months would be better now than in warm weather!
I am glad I did it this way.
I think my recovery has been right along course with "the norm". Nobody is pushing me to do more than I can/should because I'm only 43. I'm still facing the left knee being done as well. I wish it wasn't tweaking as much as it is...I really want to wait a year at least, but I'm afraid that it's not going to work that way. It is protesting more and more daily.
Such is life :)
Anyhow I'm glad to have another person along the journey to talk to!
Stay in touch.
Caryn


Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
@icep707
You're so right! I think everything you said makes total sense.
Just knowing how many actual surgeries like ours are done every year amazes me. Then to see the number of posters here who have struggles...but are dealing and doing it.
I think being as active as possible before the surgery is a huge bonus. I worked 40+ standing on a concrete floor right up till. That's what I am trying to get back to: my life!
Thanks for the well wishes. I'm winning the flu battle. Today was the first day since Monday night I've felt human!
:)

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Tomorrow I start hydrotherapy. I am really looking forward to it, though I'm not really sure what to expect :)
Anyone else doing this type of pt?
Left my house today for the first time since last Tuesday. Was lovely to get out for a bit even though the temperature is barely above 0.
Being bed bound with the flu for a week at least gave my knee lots of down time too.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
You will love it! The water temp will probably be about 35 degrees so it's like stepping into a lovely warm bath & so you can stay in the water longer than you would in a public pool (brrr!) The warmth of the water makes your muscles relax. I found it the best form of physio ever, gentle, enjoyable & it helped me a lot. You will probably do the same sort of exercises you do on land, eg walking (forwards & backwards against the resistance of the water), marching, stepping up & down on a step, straight leg raises, gentle knee bends. Floating for 20 minutes or so on your back is divine for easing pain (they give you flotation aids, just as well in my case as I'm one of those people who's convinced I will sink) & I never had one session where I came away in more pain than when I started (unlike the standard physio torture). The water supports your weight, so you feel more able to exercise. When you get out of the water you will feel like you weigh a ton!!! A strange sensation. I loved hydrotherapy. Unfortunately I've used up my allotted sessions & will have to go to my local swimming pool now which just won't be the same (30 degrees). I hope you enjoy it! Make sure you rest and have a nice lie down afterwards when you get home. Because its non weight bearing, your body does a lot more than you realise at the time! Dezzie
 
Thanks for that info @Dezzie ! What a ringing endorsement :D
I just discovered that the Ymca where I am going closes their regular pool during the 2 hours they schedule therapy appointments on Tuesdays & Thursdays. I find this to be a great relief, as I had envisioned being surrounded by tons of people while trying to get acclimated! Just knowing this has lessened my anxiety of going.
Thanks again for your reply!
Caryn

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Hi @glazed151 that is the best news that there won't be tons of people. I can almost hear your sighs of relief over the pond here lol!!!!! I would love to do some sort of water based activity. When I can drive I will do just that xxxx
 
I know it @nanamoon !
I'm doing my own little gimpy happy dance lol!
I think I've only been alloted 4 (maybe 6) hydro sessions so I'm gonna enjoy them now!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Home from my first hydrotherapy session, and I loved it! It took me a few minutes to become accustomed to the locker room, as I was not expecting to be surrounded by so many naked strangers HAHAHAHA. It did give me a good chuckle thats for sure :D
The water was so warm and really made me feel relaxed. I did quite a few new exercises with floaties attached to my ankle and ones with the noodle. The therapist told me I did very well (though I suppose they say that to everyone, lol) She warned me that I may be extra tired and sore, so to give myself an easy afternoon. I don't need to be told twice! I see a nap in my future :)
I will go back for another session next week. They are hoping to get me in the pool 2 x a week, but for now I will do 1 pool and 2 regular sessions of pt.
I also picked up the Y's membership application. Thankfully they do have some scholarship assistance, because it is very expensive to become a member (like nearly $700 a year for a family!) and I will apply for that. Being out of work has a huge impact on the family finances, as we all know, so it would be great if they do find I qualify for some financial aid. I would enjoy going to the open swim I believe, if I had my friends or family there with me. There is also a beautiful indoor walking track that encircles the entire building which over looks down on the pool.
Anyway, I am glad to have had my first session and know what to expect from now on. My knee feels pretty decent, no pain at all, though my quads are a bit sore...more like how anyone feels after a new workout I guess. Muscles I didn't know I had being used and all, lol.
 
Oh that sounds so good. I'm glad you enjoyed it and hope that you managed to get a good rest afterwards.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom