PKR The Knee Replacement Train Rehab Station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Nana moon 27
Yes, it good to have that extra bit of reassurance that it is nothing requiring me to see him immediately. My pt appt has now been canceled as the roads are so bad. We ended up with quite the thick coating of ice and apparently many of the therapists were unable to make the trip to work. Truth be told, I am very happy with not having to go out. Though I will miss my time with the estim machine. I love it so much and was looking forward to it!! :) oh well, next time!
So far the only thing I've done today is put dinner fixings for Thai Peanut Pork in the crock pot. Another super easy yummy recipe.my family loves.
Can you tell I love to cook!?
Hopefully we both have a better night ahead of us my friend.
Hugs!


Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Ok, lets try this again! Just typed out nearly an entire post and blink! something happened and it's gone. UGH. Oh well....here we go again.

It has been quite the week for me. Lots of things going on and more than a little for my brain to try an absorb.
First and most worrisome, is my daughter may be facing some sort of knee surgery! She is turning 17 in less than a week and has been experiencing knee pain for about a year now. I took her to our family doctor then, when she complained of a pain, though she had not done anything she could think of to injure it. Our family dr did the normal exam and said that it was probably just growing pains and that there really wan't anything to worry about. Fast forward an few weeks, pain still continuing so back to the dr we go. MRI and exrays ordered. Both looked normal so dr once again said growing pains and gave her a series of exercises to do that would strengthen her leg muscles. Well, all this was happening of course as I was gearing up for my surgery, so things with her knee have been kind of pushed to the way side but about a month ago nothing had changed do I demanded that she be seen by my OS. Her appt with my OS was the day before yesterday. He did a full exam and ordered another MRI, which is on her birthday!! :heehee:He said the last one was done before she was done growing.
He said it is obvious that her patella is not tracking properly and until he sees the MRI, he isn't sure exactly what he will do. He did order another 6 weeks of PT, but these sessions will be much more focused on her hip and other muscles, rather than what they have been doing. He said these PT sessions may solve the problem, but they may not. He said he would obviously rather not perform any type of surgery on her but it does need to be mentioned as a possible outcome. She handled all this very well, and I think she is exactly like the rest of us...."Just fix it already! I'm tired of being in pain!!" :yikes:
I hope we can get things resolved for her quickly. I know how it feels to be in pain long term and wish it on no one, let alone my own child.

And now for me....
Oh boy. This week has been quite the emotional roller coaster for me as well personally, without the added worry about my daughter. I am facing the realization that I am not going to be able to return to my job as I had expected I would.
Perhaps I was foolish to ever think I would be able to return, and I think back to a few comments my OS made pre-surgery, and I wonder if he was gently trying to tell me that I should begin to look for other work then. Currently, I am the Produce Manager at a fairly large grocery store. I am on my feet all day, on a concrete floor. I am required to continually lift very heavy boxes (50 + pounds), and there is simply no way around these facts.
I think back to the last few days I worked and I realize in one day alone I moved 1,200 pounds of potatoes by myself, one 50 pound bag at a time from one spot to another. And that is just the potatoes!
How can I expect my new knee to do that?
I have not as of yet had my 2nd appt with my OS to release me to go back to work....but I know he is not going to let me do that much lifting. As of this point I am still on medical leave from my job and my bosses fully expect me to return. I have not yet told them that I do not think it is in the cards for me to do so.
I have an excellent assistant manager that I trained really well....perhaps to well? LOL, it is obvious that the department is doing well without me and that they will survive without me....but gosh this is hard to wrap my brain around!! I have never had a desk job. Unfortunately, there really are no other positions available at my place of work that do not required heavy lifting and long hours standing. So... I am facing not only telling my bosses that I am not returning to a job I actually like a lot, but also trying to find another job that I can transition into.
I have many friends who work at a local company that they all rave about. It is actually located less than 5 minutes from my house. All desk jobs....dealing with customer service for a large medical billing company. They are one of the fastest growing companies on the East coast and have a top notch rating. I would be lucky to get in there.
I actually sent my resume in last night.:beg: This is beyond huge for me and I really can not express how big the lump in my throat is or the weight of the rock I feel in the pit of my stomach. I have to trust in the universe that things will work out for the best for me, and my family.....but at this very moment all I am is scared and worried. We have been ok financially for these past few months because I have Aflac, and it was also tax time....but that money is not going to last forever and we need a decent 2nd paycheck to make ends meet.
I really want to start a new chapter, work wise. I like my current job, but lets be honest....manual labor is not fun and I can not expect my body to like it forever....all this is being said after having my right knee replaced, but I can not forget that my left knee is nearly as bad and my OS says I have not a lot of years (perhaps as few as 1 or 2) until we will need to face surgery on it.
I just need to breathe....everything will work out, right?! YES!
Ok, I need to step away from this for awhile....if I focus too much on it, I can feel myself almost heading toward a meltdown. Positive thoughts appreciated....
thanks.
Caryn
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Caryn

You are so right about the lifting, I don't think any of us are going to be quite the same again somehow. I struggled to carry a grocery bag with two boxes of tea bags, and a few vegetables.

I am so Sorry to hear about your daughter she is so young to be going through this.

Changing careers is very daunting but honestly can be very positive too. I changed career at 49 due to an accident at work. It left me that I could not longer physically do the job any more. By 50 I got a teaching degree and by 51 a maths qualification. I would never ever in my wildest dreams have ever thought for one minute I could do and achieve all that. I was In pieces when I left my last job and for a very long time I was unsure whether or not I had done the right thing! I know now that yes I did!

I know one of my two jobs is going to be a major problem because of the amount of driving and physical movement involved. My teaching I have to work more efficiently and not lug the heavy teaching trolley full of resources etc. My colleague has contacted me today telling me she was in A&E (I think you call it E.R over the pond) yesterday with chest pains. It turns out she's pulled muscles in her chest through incorrect lifting and lugging heavy stuff about. I texted her back saying how we all do it and wished her well.

I'm in the same boat as you as regards my left knee. However, I told them straight it will be dropping off before I go back lol! I think I may eventually have to give the one job up,and extend my teaching instead.

Anyway good luck whatever you decide to do. Good on you for sending in your resume x x. Good luck! X x x x

Love Ann x x x x
 
I hope the pt works for your daughter, glazed. Yes, maybe the tkr was just the thing you needed to think about your long term job plans. I never thought the manager had to do all that heavy lifting.
 
Caryn....you are on the right track with your job. While you might be able to work at a standing job with your new knee, doing that much heavy lifting each day would not be kind to it or your body over the long haul.

You know, many people make mid-career changes and it turns out to be the best thing they ever did. I'm one of those myself! Whether it's a physical issue like yours or just a burn-out issue like mine, change can be very, very good for us. What I found was that all my previous experiences somehow blended into my new job(s)....I had more than one before I retired finally....and that made me a better employee. The important thing is to keep an open mind and heart and opportunity will find you. It sounds like you are doing that already, so I have much faith that you'll find a position that suits you.
 
Thanks @nana moon , @kneeper and @Jamie
I appreciate the kind thoughts and words of advice! !!

PT on Wednesday with a woman I don't usually see must have strained my knee a bit as I was very sore that evening and all day yesterday. I actually spent most of the afternoon elevating with ice. Last night I had a rough time getting comfortable. I took an extra dose of meds and finally fell asleep around 1:30.
Today I saw my normal girl for pt and I told her that I wasn't happy with how Wednesday made me feel. She commented that she had read my chart and had noticed we had done many new exercises on Wednesday. Today we did much less and ended with a 15 minute session of e stim...my favorite thing ever. I so wish I owned that machine!
Turns out I only have 1 more pool pt and 1 more land session, then my allotment of covered sessions from insurance is done. I'm pretty sure I'm fine with not going, as I can do all the exercises at home anyway.
We heard from the local Y today that we are approved for financial aid, which is awesome so I can hit the pool often.
The only thing that I am not sure where I am relative to everyone else is stairs. I am going up a flight normal about 75% of the time but going down I am still doing one foot at a time.
Not sure when I will transition to normal going down stairs. Thoughts??

And....I have a phone interview (a 15-20 minute one!) scheduled for next Wednesday with the company I am hoping to get into. If the phone interview goes well, I move onto an in person interview. ...woo hoo.
Nervous but excited!
Hopefully I sleep tonight. Tomorrow is my adventure with my friend to the psychic fair! :)

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Hi @glazed151 as regards the stairs. This is varying according to individual recovery! I have done stairs right since i first came home. I am still two feet per stair. I am still not driving. I am still on morphine.

I have had to pay for a private physio, which has created a lot of hilarity on my post, if you want to read an embarrassing story. He is nicknamed Freddy the Frenchman.

Good luck with your phone interview I hope all goes well for you xoxoxoxo

Please have a wonderful time at the psychic fair. How exciting!!! See if someone will perform Reiki on your knee while you are there. It's painless but some people rave about how good it is. I can't wait to read your post about it.


Speak soon

Love Nana moon 27 xoxox
 
Good luck with your phone interview! Very exciting!

Uhm, I still can't do stairs normally, so you're way ahead of the game. As everyone will tell you, do NOT compare your recovery to others. Everyone is different. To prove my point, although I've heard it's one of the last pieces to the recovery puzzle, I CAN go down stairs normally and have been doing so for a couple of weeks. I cannot, for the life of me, go UP stairs normally though. 2 completely different set of muscles. Going up is all quads. Going down is just having faith that you won't face plant. ;-) My PT told me 'Good goes to heaven, bad goes to h*ll' ,meaning that going UP stairs you should lead with your non surgical leg and coming down, you lead with your TKR leg. This puts the majority of the pressure and stress on your 'good' leg.

I think you're doing great! Have fun at the fair tomorrow! If you think about it, could you ask what my future holds? :heehee:
 
Usually going down stairs is the last thing to normalize. So don't get concerned if it takes a while. It can be months for this motion to be at all comfortable. The advice not to compare is best. Your recovery is unique to you. Just keep gently working on doing the stairs now and then. It will come.
 
Hi Caryn

You are so right about the lifting, I don't think any of us are going to be quite the same again somehow. I struggled to carry a grocery bag with two boxes of tea bags, and a few vegetables.

I am so Sorry to hear about your daughter she is so young to be going through this.

Changing careers is very daunting but honestly can be very positive too. I changed career at 49 due to an accident at work. It left me that I could not longer physically do the job any more. By 50 I got a teaching degree and by 51 a maths qualification. I would never ever in my wildest dreams have ever thought for one minute I could do and achieve all that. I was In pieces when I left my last job and for a very long time I was unsure whether or not I had done the right thing! I know now that yes I did!

I know one of my two jobs is going to be a major problem because of the amount of driving and physical movement involved. My teaching I have to work more efficiently and not lug the heavy teaching trolley full of resources etc. My colleague has contacted me today telling me she was in A&E (I think you call it E.R over the pond) yesterday with chest pains. It turns out she's pulled muscles in her chest through incorrect lifting and lugging heavy stuff about. I texted her back saying how we all do it and wished her well.

I'm in the same boat as you as regards my left knee. However, I told them straight it will be dropping off before I go back lol! I think I may eventually have to give the one job up,and extend my teaching instead.

Anyway good luck whatever you decide to do. Good on you for sending in your resume x x. Good luck! X x x x

Love Ann x x x x
 
Hi @glazed151 - gosh you do have a lot on your mind at the moment don't you?
Hope you enjoy the Fair, I went to one of those years and years ago - great fun. Most interesting was a friend of ours. A Swiss doctor. While we were on a longish boat trip we started talking about tarot, psychic etc. She confessed that she had read lots of books on palm reading, and used it as a psychiatric tool for people suffering from depression. She said that in a 1:1 relaxed situation she would mention it, and most people would want to hear what their palms say. She would then hone in on the positives and beef them up a bit, and 9 times out of 10 the person would come away feeling better about themselves. She read my palm - and I have to say that although there were no amazing psychic predictions, she told me things about myself that were 100% right, that she would have had no way of knowing.
As for stair climbing/descending - be careful. I was doing both up until last week, but descending evidently puts a lot of strain on the back of your knee, so easy does it.
Hope you get on well with the prospective new job - if I was HR I would choose somebody like yourself every time. Really motivated for many reasons, and likely to be a very reliable employee - given your change of direction.

Got to go - hydro time!
X
 
Going down stairs normally took me a long time. By the time I went back to work at 12 weeks I was doing it--but not comfortably.
 
Ok so for those asking, here are a few pictures of my tattoos.
One full sleeve is Clematis vines. The other arm is a full sleeve of the book The Lorax by Dr. Suess. The picture shows both sides of my arm, morphed into one photo. The gnome is on my back.
[Bonesmart.org] The Knee Replacement Train Rehab Station
[Bonesmart.org] The Knee Replacement Train Rehab Station
[Bonesmart.org] The Knee Replacement Train Rehab Station


Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
I purchased a electronic stimulator on amazon last week. Its great and not very expensive. I use it daily on my knee and quads to help stimulate and helps muscles wake up . A great 30 $ investment. Its tough to watch your kids suffer from any kind of pain . BTW nice tattoos !
 
Wow @glazed151 - they are tattoo-tastic!
Thank you so much for posting - that clematis is a thing of real beauty, and almost the same colour as the one in my daughter's garden.
Take care and talk later.
ChrisX
 
Wow @glazed151 your tattoos are true works of art! They are so vibrant and colourful, truly amazing xoxoxoxox you were very brave having them done. Some areas of the arm are super sensitive!!!!!! Xoxoxoxo
 
Thanks all. My tattoos are definitely something I love and am very proud of. I understand not everyone feels the same but I believe it's all about respecting each other for our individuality :)

My phone interview was this morning. I think it went well, even though I was nervous! I have never had a phone interview before. She was very nice and said that I will hear from her on Friday, as to whether or not I move on to the 2nd tier of interviews. I am trying to remain positive and not dwell on it. Honestly, it's now out of my hands and I have to trust that what ever happens is what is meant to be.
On another note, we received the paperwork for joining the local Y and made our first month payment yesterday. I am really excited that the heated therapy pool is open every day (various times) but it should work out that we can go at least 2 x a week! They also have a hot tub!
The exercise room and walking track should be great too. I'd love to lose a bunch of weight. ..my knees would appreciate it no doubt.
Daughters 17th birthday was fun. She loved the tv we got her and was actually speechless! That never happens lol!
Thankfully the snowstorm moved out to sea, so we received no snow, but the wind has been unbelievable tonight. It's nearly 1:30 am and I have been laying here listening to it howl. The gusts are over 50 mph according to the news.
Guess it's back to late night tv...


Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Hi @glazed151 I'm ever so glad your daughter really enjoyed birthday and appreciated her present.
All this talk of water and pools...I'm craving them. Roll on next week x x
I'm glad you've had no snow but I hate high winds they scare me x x enjoy tv nighty night xoxox
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom