TKR The Journey Continues

It does sound like you're doing great, so you should be in fine shape for the next knee to be done. :)
 
Wow and congrats on all the good news! My incision has a little curve to it too. Hmmm. You seem ready physically for that next one:)) I’m also impressed your pedaling. I tried the bike at my first PT appt and it was pretty sad. Not much moving going on. I’m a slow bender tho, as experienced with my first knee. I hope your second knee does as well as this one is. Have a great day!!
 
had blood test and ecg done in readiness for the next up. if there was an underlying infection it would show up on those tests? currently all I can take in paracetamol till after the next surgery so feeling a bit flat. icing and rest still are my friend. Have come to work today to say hi and catch up on things won't be back now for few weeks
 
A blood test would show reasons to suspect infection if one were present. The ECG only shows if your heart is beating normally. :yes!: You definitely want that! Sounds like you’re getting set up well for round two.
 
Yes. As I am not taking my medications I am not feeling my best. I constantly have nausea and drained. My knee is stiffer but that is ok. I have. Pre admission talk today so I will discuss with the nurse as well. Will try to sleep a bit more. IMwill talk to the admission nurse about the suture that is exposing itself. But only a few days to go...till the next surgery and back on the drugs to combat the swelling.
 
Curious what they said about the exposed suture...? I envisioned a patch job of that mesh and glue:heehee: but pretty sure that wouldn't be done. Are you overall happy with the mesh/glue closure? I think I am. My incision, where it's clean/healed looking, not the crusty dried blood areas, is pretty nice. Seems a lot thinner of a scar than my other knee that had staples.
 
Curious what they said about the exposed suture...? I envisioned a patch job of that mesh and glue:heehee: but pretty sure that wouldn't be done. Are you overall happy with the mesh/glue closure? I think I am. My incision, where it's clean/healed looking, not the crusty dried blood areas, is pretty nice. Seems a lot thinner of a scar than my other knee that had staples.


Yes I am happy with the scar as well very clean and thin...no thick scar. I was recommended to use a product called bio oil to put on the scar (only on fully healed skin) twice a day to aid healing.

MY blood pressure has been elevated this week and I have worked out why Infeel so poorly
. SLeeping is random Inget a good night and then a bad one. Considering it started out well but I suppose we do more. I still ice a lot and do my strengthening exercises but I am not working on ROM. When I saw the doctor he was happy with 100 but now. To taking anything other than paracetamol I would only be getting around 85.

I am not eating much with the nausea so I have lost some weight.

I am doing a lot of knitting I have heard I am going to be n Oma twice in December and January

I have heard that my operation on Tuesday will be around ten in the morning last one was in the afternoon.

Glad to hear you are going well.
 
I am doing a lot of knitting I have heard I am going to be n Oma twice in December and January
Congratulations on those new little ones on the way! My sister in law goes by the name Oma, also. I hadn’t heard it before she picked it. (Fun how we pick our names these days, I’m Grammie)

Best wishes for your surgery next week.
 
Congratulations on those new little ones on the way! My sister in law goes by the name Oma, also. I hadn’t heard it before she picked it. (Fun how we pick our names these days, I’m Grammie)

Best wishes for your surgery next week.

It is a Dutch, German, Denmark thing to be called Oma, I am Dutch by birth and four of the grandchildren will live in Holland. THe one in Australia will learn Dutch I will speak it too them from birth
 
Wow, congrats on the grandbabies. Must be excited. Knitting booties??
I'll definitely be thinking about you on Tuesday:friends:
I wouldn't mind losing a few, but my appetite is good, darn it.
I work on ROM on my CPM machine. Have gotten to 80-but that's with the machine, not sure what it would be on my own. My PT hasn't checked since the first day when it was 58. I am trying really hard to not care about that number but the PT and doctor's little voice in my head is nagging.:groan:

Keep us posted!!
 
Second knee is done... now to deal with the first few days. Need to get the morphine out of my system...they gave me a nausea relief to offset which did not work and made it worse Amazing how the care plan is different this time and I do have more control. I have asked for refief and ice but tonight to ensure that I am ahead of game...sleep will elude me as they wake me every hour.

Now recovery and rehab are my focus to achieve my goal of dancing and my new renewed focus of hiking across some of the many walks around the world.

On a funny note when I was being admitted today I use to be 171cm or 5'7" and lAst 10 years I have been 169cm today I was measured at 170cm Those bow legs had changed my height.
 
Last edited:
Yay! Good to her from you. You're a pro at this now. Ice is good.

Really? On your height? I used to be 5'4" but over the years went down to less than 5 feet! No clue exactly how much less than 5 feet because I don't let anyone measure me:heehee: But.....maybe now I will. Most of my issue is compressed discs tho...

Get some rest, don't worry about the rehab yet, that will happen soon enough.
 
My father had severely bowed legs before his bilateral replacements. He claims he went from 6’0 to 6’2”. We kids suspect he added close to an inch to sound more impressive, but he truly did get taller!
 
Yay! Good to her from you. You're a pro at this now. Ice is good.

Really? On your height? I used to be 5'4" but over the years went down to less than 5 feet! No clue exactly how much less than 5 feet because I don't let anyone measure me:heehee: But.....maybe now I will. Most of my issue is compressed discs tho...

Get some rest, don't worry about the rehab yet, that will happen soon enough.


Yes they say we loose 1cm a decade after 40 because Of disc compression, but being a ballroom dancer you have to stretch up and to the left using your core.... both my husband and I have kept our height.

Yes only enough rehab to support me with my new knee.
 
Welcome to recovery again, @VonnieN

As a refresher, here is the recovery reading again:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs


The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Please don't be overwhelmed by the list. The articles are not long and they and contain information that will answer many questions and help you make your recovery much easier on your knee and on you.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
THe surgeon just popped in with an update they had to build up the inside of the left knee it was so bowed. He said it went well and he also did a mini manipulation on the right knee it is not sore. Not sure why the surgeon have such a concern over ROM....So sometime today I will be up doing side steps.
 
Did you know ahead of time he was going to do an MUA?
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom