TKR The Journey Continues

We bought the swivel seat as a disability aid found it at a car store but Aldi supermarkets had them as well it works like a lazy Susan not sure if you have those in the US. It is transportable and I use it also on the dining chair in the house. If I can find a photo I will post it
 
That swivel seat sounds fabulous!
 
Using an apple iPad and can't work out how to find the file I saved. Don't usually use this format will sort it out and upload a photo
 
We bought the swivel seat as a disability aid found it at a car store but Aldi supermarkets had them as well it works like a lazy Susan not sure if you have those in the US.
Yes, we do have an Aldi within about 20 miles! I bet Amazon will have them, too. I will check it out! Thanks for the tip!

I seldom use a tablet and would have no idea how to do much of anything on it. My laptop is on almost all the time!
 
had a terrible night...havibg started out very positive I feel quite flat from lack of sleep. the knee locks into place while sleeping I wake up in pain when trying to turn. I have hyper mobility in my hips and with my leg being now straightened. if I lie the hip joint wants to turn out and I feel siatic discomfort. also I have numbness of the right hand side where the drain tube was it is quite a significant patch. it feels warm not hot I still have a week to go before I see the doctor should I try to see someone to eliminate an infection?
 
My knee stayed warm, not hot for a very long time. My OS told me a warm knee is perfectly normal after a replacement. Recovery is full and twists , turns, aches and pains. Rest assured, lack of proper rest, pain ,trauma from surgery plays a big part in how you are feeling. You are fine. Be sure to Elevate, ice, take pain meds, eat nutritional and drink plenty of fluids.
 
also I have numbness of the right hand side where the drain tube was it is quite a significant patch. it feels warm not hot I still have a week to go before I see the doctor should I try to see someone to eliminate an infection?
The numb patch is normal. We all get that.
Numb area after TKR: how long will it last?

It's also normal for your knee to feel warm. That's a sign that healing is going on beneath the surface. It might even continue to feel warmer than your other knee for as long as a year.

I'm wondering if you're taking sufficient pain relief at night? It's only a few days since you had this major surgery.
 
possibly not... I am taking Panadol 2 tablets 3 times a day. taking tramadol 1x50mg tablets twice at night time. I find tramadol makes me jittery during the day. I also have my leg up using a cryo cuff at least for 40 minutes at least five times a day.
 
I kept ice / elevate on my knee the first three- four weeks 24/7 , unless up for needed activities. I even slept with ice/ elevate.
 
You're very early in recovery so it's not unusual to feel uncomfortable at night--and not just the knee. I think my back, hips etc. were as troublesome as anything in the early weeks. I'd change positions or sometimes use a heating pad on my back or hamstrings--while icing the knee.
 
agreed keeper my groin still has discomfort and some sciatic pain. I have had a good run so far but worked out now it also has sideways steps.
 
now it also has sideways steps.
Yes, that is knee replacement recovery! That’s why we call it a rollercoaster.

You’ll get to a better place.
 
Glad to hear it is just that and he could relieve any worry for you. I also have a small area on the outside of my kneecap area that feels the same as when your mouth has had novocaine for dental work and it’s wearing off. Kinda can feel it but not with great sensitivity. How was PT? I had my one awful appointment last week and am not answering their calls this week as I am on a call if you have cancellations list since they had nothing available. My regular schedule for 2x/week starts next week.
 
Here's an article about that numb area. Numb Area After TKR: How Long Will It Last?

I have no numb area on my right leg (no idea how that happened... doctor said there would be one but there isn't) and a fist-size numb area on my left leg just to the outside and below the knee. My OS said this would happen because cutting the skin to get at what's underneath means cutting a nerve that provides sensation for that patch of skin.

Some people get all of the sensation back as the nerves reconnect. Others get some. And yet others get no sensation back... but they do get used to having the numb patch. Nerves grow and reconnect slowly, so it can take a long time for feeling to return.
 
Yes have already noticed slight improvement in the numbness it is still there but less severe. I can feel the pressure of my fingernail.

I had a PT session on Monday specialises in knee recovery she was very good. I have some balance things to do. squeezing leg down I to towel. Leg extensions using my own body weight ROM was 85. I was happy with that. I know the doctor would like more.

it two weeks since the surgery I have not used a support in my house since I got home. I do use one outside the house. I spend most of the first week on the couch icing. now I walk around and ice in between. still have swelling and find sleeping has got worse and use my tramadol at night. I only use Panadol during the day.

it's only two weeks to the next operation. But still overall I think I am doing well.
 
ROM was 85. I was happy with that. I know the doctor would like more.
Heck, 85 at only 2 weeks post-op is pretty darn good!
Don't try to rush your knee's recovery. It will manage when you have the other knee done - just think of the people who have both knees replaced on the same day. Their knees cope.

Your first TKR will be able to recuperate along with the second one.
 
Hi all. Went today to have dressing removed. It looked pretty good scar is not straight has a slight curve. Only thing that at the bottom of the wound it is exposing a suture. I was noticed when I went to physio. Will keep an eye on it. Hopefully it will fall out before the next surgery which next week.

THe surgeon is vey happy with they way things are and the way I walk on my own without any aids. I will still use it when I am outside but Like nuttybrunette I find them limiting. But to ensure for any hiccups and uneviness on walking surfaces.

My ROM is 110 and with some massage my extension was extended to what they were looking for. I can now get on the stationary bike and pedal for 10 minutes. Then back to the icing. I also doing more step ups.

Only having pain relief at night, sleep is broken and sure it will improve. I am doing exercises at my pace.

NOw to prepare for number two and recovery,
 
How brave you are to be going ahead with number two surgery! Your first one is coming along nicely as I'm sure number two will be!
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom